• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    1. I am approaching my first W&C renewal this fall. I heard rumblings that the MGA has introduced legislation that would follow CA and restrict trainers to LEO only. Has that been introduced/read/crossed over, and when does the legislative session for 2024 end? I'm fairly sure if someone in the business has training sessions scheduled they will be more than happy to take my money and train me per the old standards. I want to ensure if there is a change this calendar year i'm up to date on the current requirements.

2. I understand that MSP recommends renewal applications be submitted 90 days prior to expiration of the current permit to avoid gaps. Is there a "too early" training? If my permit expires in November and I take the class in June am I too soon,or could I theoretically take the renewal training the day after my permit is renewed? ( 3 years prior to expiration)

3. Does MSP email reminders for W&C permit renewals or do I need to track it myself?

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    You need to track it yourself.

Training is good for 2 years, so you can do it now. My renewal is oct, I plan to submit it in july as it says a minimum of 90 days. So 2 years from the renewal date is fine for the class.

The added training/certs for instructors got removed from the "gun buy back bill". But that does not mean they try to add it in as a floor amendment to it, or another bill.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    #2 First - Training is valid for 2 years .

#1 ‐ It was removed from the Bill to which it was ( initially) attached

We have passed the date for it to have been reattached on some other Bill * By means of the usual and by the book Legislative Procedures * .

Maryland is Maryland. All kinds of Exceptional Parliamentry Shenanigans can be pull . IF the Dem leadership wants to badly enough . But it also has to be balanced against the time , effort needed that won't be able to be applied to other matters that are either important to the Dems , or in actuality , actually important.

#3 Finally . I dunno current practices . But since it expires on your Birthday (month) , hopefully you know your own Birthday .

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    1. I am approaching my first W&C renewal this fall. I heard rumblings that the MGA has introduced legislation that would follow CA and restrict trainers to LEO only. Has that been introduced/read/crossed over, and when does the legislative session for 2024 end?
    Sine Die is April 9. End of the 2024 Session.
    2. I understand that MSP recommends renewal applications be submitted 90 days prior to expiration ... Is there a "too early" training?

Two years- your training certificate is valid for 2 years (No, you can't use the same cert twice)

3. Does MSP email reminders for W&C permit renewals or do I need to track it myself?

Maybe. It's amazing how many people 'lose' emails, or change email systems in less than a year. For some, MSP emails are stuck in spam folders.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I am due for a renewal this fall as well. I took the renewal training over the winter on a cold, rainy day (figured I would knock it out of the way). Training is valid for 2 years.

I tried to submit my renewal right after the training and I got an error. Apparently, you cannot file a renewal more than 120 days prior to the expiration, so it sounds like 120-90 days before expiration.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    All good info. I have two renewal courses scheduled, June 8 and August 9.

Don’t be one of “those guys” who forgets, get the renewal in enough tim to renew.

TD

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Reminder- if you renew on time- no fingerprints required.

If you're late, your application is treated as an 'original,' requiring livescan and the higher fees.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Reminder- if you renew on time- no fingerprints required.

If you're late, your application is treated as an 'original,' requiring livescan and the higher fees.
    I forgot to renew VA once. I was about 2 months out. I fully expected to have to start from scratch. But nope, I called and they said make a copy of your permit and include it. No fuss, no muss....
    That reminds me, I need to put all my permit expiration dates in the calendar withe reminders.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I forgot to renew VA once. I was about 2 months out. I fully expected to have to start from scratch. But nope, I called and they said make a copy of your permit and include it. No fuss, no muss....
    That reminds me, I need to put all my permit expiration dates in the calendar withe reminders.
    I made an excel spreadsheet with the renewal dates, keeps my info easily accessible and I can sort by soonest expiring.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    VA is far kinder than MD.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    VA is far kinder than MD.

Amongst the various states , it is not uncommon to have a sort of grace period . In the context of don't carry on expired Permit ( if not also Con Carry) but a window to still have a " renew " instead of New Application. 30 days would be common for those states .

But of course , Maryland will do Maryland.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    1. I am approaching my first W&C renewal this fall. I heard rumblings that the MGA has introduced legislation that would follow CA and restrict trainers to LEO only. Has that been introduced/read/crossed over,
    The amendment got pulled from the bill it was trying to be attached to, you can track all of the information here: https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/...e-qhic-hql-wear-and-carry-instructors.282551/

and when does the legislative session for 2024 end?
    That answer is in this thread: https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/2024-mga-important-dates-for-the-rest-of-the-session.282134/

(April 8th if you are too lazy to click on the link)

I'm fairly sure if someone in the business has training sessions scheduled they will be more than happy to take my money and train me per the old standards. I want to ensure if there is a change this calendar year i'm up to date on the current requirements.
    No change coming and if it did, it would be after Oct 1.

2. I understand that MSP recommends renewal applications be submitted 90 days prior to expiration of the current permit to avoid gaps.
    It has been recommended (and there are threads on this topic) that you renew two weeks before your permit expires. While your permit has expired, it is still honored until you either get a renewed permit or you get a denial and the denial process has been exhausted.

Is there a "too early" training? If my permit expires in November and I take the class in June am I too soon,or could I theoretically take the renewal training the day after my permit is renewed? ( 3 years prior to expiration)
    There is no "too early", it has to have been completed, State Statute requires the training to be completed before the application is submitted.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Training is good for 2 years, so you can do it now. My renewal is oct, I plan to submit it in july as it says a minimum of 90 days. So 2 years from the renewal date is fine for the class.
    Go back and re-read 5-306(9) of the public safety article. In updating the training requirements via HB824, they removed the timeframe.
    (9) except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, has successfully completed prior to application and each renewal, a firearms training course approved by the Secretary that
    meets the minimum criteria specified in subsection (a-1) of this section;

Here is 5-306(a-1)

(a-1) The firearms training course required under subsection (a) of this section shall include:
    (1)
    (i) for an initial application, a minimum of 16 hours of in-person instruction by a qualified handgun instructor; or
    (ii) for a renewal application, 8 hours of in-person instruction by a qualified handgun instructor;
    (2) classroom instruction on:
    (i) State and federal firearm laws, including laws relating to:
    1. self-defense;
    2. defense of others;
    3. defense of property;
    4. the safe storage of firearms;
    5. the circumstances under which an individual becomes prohibited from possessing a firearm under State and federal law, including becoming a respondent against whom:
    A. a current non ex parte civil protective order has been entered under § 4-506 of the Family Law Article;
    B. an order for protection, as defined in § 4-508.1 of the Family Law Article, has been issued by a court of another state or a Native American tribe and is in effect; or
    C. a current extreme risk protective order has been entered under Subtitle 6 of this title;
    6. the requirements and options for surrendering, transferring, or otherwise disposing of a firearm after becoming prohibited from possessing a firearm under State or federal law;
    7. the requirements for reporting a loss or theft of a firearm to a law enforcement agency as required by § 5-146 of this title;
    8. the firearms and firearm accessories which are banned under State and federal law;
    9. the types of firearms that require a special permit or registration to acquire or possess under State or federal law;
    10. the law prohibiting straw purchases;
    11. the law concerning armed trespass under § 6-411 of the Criminal Law Article; and
    12. the locations where a person is prohibited from possessing a firearm regardless of whether the person possesses a permit issued under this subtitle;
    (ii) home firearm safety;
    (iii) handgun mechanisms and operations;
    (iv) conflict de-escalation and resolution;
    (v) anger management; and
    (vi) suicide prevention; and
    (3) a firearm qualification component that includes live-fire shooting exercise on a firing range and requires the applicant to demonstrate:
    (i) safe handling of a handgun; and
    (ii) shooting proficiency with a handgun.

The added training/certs for instructors got removed from the "gun buy back bill". But that does not mean they try to add it in as a floor amendment to it, or another bill.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sine Die is April 9. End of the 2024 Session.

April 8th.
    Two years- your training certificate is valid for 2 years (No, you can't use the same cert twice)
    Re-read 5-306(9) and let me know if you see the "2 years" anymore? I think it got removed under HB824.

Maybe. It's amazing how many people 'lose' emails, or change email systems in less than a year. For some, MSP emails are stuck in spam folders.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Wait? So how long is training good for if not 2 years? Did they just leave out the time frame?
    It would appear that by leaving the training period out, under HB824 (2023 session), there is no training period requirement for the wear and carry permit any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom