• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I, too, am a life long resident of Maryland. I've worked in many states across this country, but, always came "home" to MD. I don't know anything about what part any of my ancestors may have played in the history of MD., but, I am proud to be a Marylander. Oh yea, did I ever mention my Uncle Emil was a General in the US Army?

I dabble in family history research and have done some quick checking for a couple of MDSers. If you're interested let me know. I do it to introduce others to the hobby and to give them a solid start. WARNING: It is an addiction and there is no cure.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    my people have been here in southern md now for about 380 years. I can trace my heritage right back to st marys city. my people have fought in every war and skirmish here and abroad since then. from when they arrived until now all of my grandparents were born and died in southern md. with the exception of the last couple of decades I have been so proud to be from southern md. I have always taken pride in the stories from the old ones. the stories of how things were and what we have done make me proud to me from here but alas, the last couple of decades have turned me sour to the point that I want to be the first of us to leave. I find that to be a damn shame. I used to be so full of pride to be from here. there is a tremendous amount of history down here that is either forgotten of just not talked about and I wish that would change also.

just my 2 cent semi rant.

I share your sentiment in regard to how this state has changed from good to bad to worse in recent years/decades. At one time this was a great state to be a resident and be proud of, but with the libtard politics along with their even more libtard policies having taken root in DC and MD, they've pretty much destroyed any pride and subsequent desire to remain here.

Sorry to piss on your parade Minuteman, but I can't hold back the ugly truth.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I dabble in family history research and have done some quick checking for a couple of MDSers. If you're interested let me know. I do it to introduce others to the hobby and to give them a solid start. WARNING: It is an addiction and there is no cure.

thanks for the offer but my wife and I have my family tree back to England and about 1340. even then our sur names were spelled the way it is now and meant men from the north and what I have been told before that our last names were "norse" ( which is very close to what it is now) and before that something else. I cant find much before 1340 and was told we appeared from somewhere norse (Viking).

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I share your sentiment in regard to how this state has changed from good to bad to worse in recent years/decades. At one time this was a great state to be a resident and be proud of, but with the libtard politics along with their even more libtard policies having taken root in DC and MD, they've pretty much destroyed any pride and subsequent desire to remain here.

in the back of my mind I still hold some hope things will get better, but, you know, this is Maryland. I long for the way it was in my younger years I guess.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    And then there were the Maryland tatoos:

maryland-chest-piece-getting-my-hole-chest-done-next-week-gonna-start-with-the-maryland-flag-crab-139246799648nkg-620x363.jpg

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52784e72e4b057bbfd8b37cc/528a9b43e4b0d32bd5496213/528a9c2ce4b01f10c843febd/1384815697397/Maryland+Flag-MGN.jpg?format=750w

I wonder how many women have that tattoo?!:rofl:

Jimet

Feb 4, 2007
    Harford Co.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm a little leery about giving a guy that go's by "Reptile" personal information. Just kiddin.

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    My wifes Grandfather who was born in 1920 " still alive and kicking" grew up near and worked on what is now Patterson Park in Calvert County and told me a story when he was younger plowing the fields on Patterson Park that they use to find Cannon Balls in the fields from the British from the war of 1812. I asked what they did with them and he said they threw them in the gully because they always broke up their plows and bits, so they are still there somewhere just the state wont let anyone search or metal detect anymore.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

When I first moved to Maryland it really was an ok place. However I agree with Lou, it really has taken a fall. Nevertheless, I will continue to fight the evil leftists that continue to plague this great state. :mdpatriot

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm a little leery about giving a guy that go's by "Reptile" personal information. Just kiddin.

I can honestly say that Reptile in no way resembles his handle here:) I contacted him about a WW 11 sweet heart/POW/MIA bracelet I found and was hoping to reunite with the family. He not only tracked down the last member, who never responded to his offer on my part to return it, but he did a very nice job researching my father's Irish heritage for me. Got me intrigued enough to buy Family Tree Maker but I haven't taken the plunge yet for my mother's side. He's a good guy and it was pleasure to meet him and his wife. And thanks to RD for referring me to him.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    It really is a shame that no one knows or appreciates local history. THAT kind of stuff should be part of school curricula.

The history of Northern Baltimore County in itself is fascinating. How the land came to be privately owned, Loch Raven, why the town was named Warren and the man who chose that name. How all the street names came about. It is steeped in Revolutionary war history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    It really is a shame that no one knows or appreciates local history. THAT kind of stuff should be part of school curricula.

in southern Maryland there is so much history that isn't told that its more than a shame, its criminal in my mind.

look across the Potomac and every town and every county has a museum dedicated to itself. every industry has museums. there are books upon books on their history.

here in southern Maryland I find that the history that is available is mostly made up by the government. its a shame.

my father once went to the archives and found pictures that are now on the internet that were taken during the depression all over the country but he looked up the ones specific to southern Maryland and we found pictures of all the things that made us famous, good and bad, from those years and stories from before. once upon a time we were the hub of industry and commerce for the state. now, especially after the war of northern aggression all of the old history here is erased. its a shame.

I am proud to be from southern Maryland, the old southern Maryland. not what they have made up about us and now teach kids. like I said, its a shame.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    in the back of my mind I still hold some hope things will get better, but, you know, this is Maryland. I long for the way it was in my younger years I guess.

So you are buying into the hope and change theory... :lol2:

I only see things getting worse...too easy to relocate and live with other like minded people.....

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    So you are buying into the hope and change theory... :lol2:

I only see things getting worse...too easy to relocate and live with other like minded people.....

one can hope, but as I said, this is Maryland.

and if things don't change I will be in Va, sooner rather than later.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Do you think it may come down to this ?

While Maryland patriotism is an honorable goal for all, don't forget that there are those amongst us who have a drastically different view of what it means to be a true patriot ... thus my reference to a VERY topical and current discussion (April 10, 2015).

ConnectStatesboro.com -
    Brother against brother: The legacy of divided families during the civil war

According to Amy Murrell Taylor's book "The Divided Family in Civil War America", the Civil War occurred at a time when Americans "idealized the family as the foundation of social and national stability." <which seems ironic since today's progressive left, especially here in the PRofMD, are hell bent on destroying what is left of the nuclear family>

The crisis of politics quickly became a crisis of kinship for many Americans, Taylor explains, especially along the border states such as Tennessee, Virginia and Maryland. From the Civil War era, new social norms emerged, such as avoiding political discussions at the dinner table or during family functions. <sound familiar ?>

150 years in hindsight

As the nation turns its attention to the 150th anniversary of the end of the Civil War, the legacy of that division continues to echo through the minds of historians, political commentators and those who worry about headlines of increased polarity in American politics.

In fact, a 2012 American National Election Survey found that 40 percent of respondents would be "upset" if their child married outside their preferred party. In 1960, that number was 5 percent. This type of partisanship is not unprecedented, but it's sobering nonetheless.

So among the many lessons of the Civil War, and there certainly are many, the stories and examples from families that weathered the storm of intense political partisanship seem as relevant now as ever.

Attachments

• 3172205416_2e33c6fb2a_z.jpg
      3172205416_2e33c6fb2a_z.jpg
      76.3 KB · Views: 119

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I think there as many fights that occurred in and around all parts of Maryland during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. Far more than have ever been recorded.

I metal detect, mostly in Baltimore county and Harford county. While in the Middle River/Chase area, I dug a King George penny(1754) and a lead Roman soldier out of a hole about 12-14 inches deep. Just for the folks that don't know, it is very unusual to get a signal from a target that deep, but the lead soldier probably was the reason. Anyway. This area was not known for any war activity, but surely this was more than likely an encampment area for one side or the other.

With that penny, I have to conclude this was from the Revolutionary War.

Maryland is awash with history, we just don't think about it.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I think there as many fights that occurred in and around all parts of Maryland during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. Far more than have ever been recorded.

I metal detect, mostly in Baltimore county and Harford county. While in the Middle River/Chase area, I dug a King George penny(1754) and a lead Roman soldier out of a hole about 12-14 inches deep. Just for the folks that don't know, it is very unusual to get a signal from a target that deep, but the lead soldier probably was the reason. Anyway. This area was not known for any war activity, but surely this was more than likely an encampment area for one side or the other.

Maryland is awash with history, we just don't think about it.[/QUOTE]

for some reason, the civil war I believe, much of marylands history is no longer taught or talked about. when I was small I remember the old ones talking about many things happening here that aren't even written down anywhere much less taught. sad

PgRefugee

Jan 23, 2015
    one can hope, but as I said, this is Maryland.

and if things don't change I will be in Va, sooner rather than later.

I started applying for jobs an Alabama just yesterday. Maryland just isn't going in the right direction fast enough for me; I quickly realized after moving here that the extra wages aren't worth the extra headaches. I won't say Maryland will never become shall issue, but Illinois beat us for God's sake.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

Maryland is awash with history, we just don't think about it.

So we fought for our freedom three times and won it with blood, only to legislate it away. Pitiful that those hard-won lessons are forgotten. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom