• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 19, 2023
    Westminster
    So I have my MD Wear and Carry permit.

A month ago, I went on the MSP website and filled out the form 77r.

I havn't received an email since saying I've been approved. I checked the site today, and it says I've been "submitted to the applicant pool."

I called and talked to a guy at the counter of a LGS and he said to check my spam folder, but nothing is there.

I havn't selected the pistol I want to buy yet, and have been waiting on my application to come back approved before I do so.

What should I be doing? Why is it taking so long?

2ndltsdad

Nov 19, 2014
    Trappe... not Lakeside !

I havn't received an email since saying I've been approved. I checked the site today, and it says I've been "submitted to the applicant pool."

I called and talked to a guy at the counter of a LGS and he said to check my spam folder, but nothing is there.

I havn't selected the pistol I want to buy yet, and have been waiting on my application to come back approved before I do so.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Fill out the 77R, sign, and MSP will e-mail you a PIN. You then go to your FFL and they need that PIN to start the transaction/7 day wait. Once that's completed you will get your "Not Disapproved" e-mail and you can then go back for pickup.

Is it possible you didn't submit it properly? If it were me, I'd just start a new 77R and use that for the transaction.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Ok as I understand it. You filled out the app got a pin but have yet to buy the firearm? If that is the case they won’t process the app until you buy the firearm and your LGS submits the information than your 7 days start

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

You can log in and have them re-send the email with the initial PIN from the portal, IIRC.

As noted above, your 77r will not be reviewed or "not disapproved" by MSP until after you actually make a purchase. The 77r isn't actually submitted for review until the dealer enters their portion of the 77r and you pay your $10.

You mention having your W&C permit above. I assume that you also have your HQL as well, which would be needed to purchase a regulated firearm.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    You can click a button next to your 77r to resend the email. I can’t remember exactly what it says and I can’t logon right now.

Any 77r I’ve filled out initially, the email with the app number and pin came within minutes at most.

ETA: missed it by that much…

Jan 19, 2023
    Westminster
    Wow. I just did this and received my pin email... I've been waiting a month to get this.

So now what? I just go to the gun store to have the shop owners complete the paperwork?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Wow. I just did this and received my pin email... I've been waiting a month to get this.

So now what? I just go to the gun store to have the shop owners complete the paperwork?
    Pretty much. And next time, go to a different gun store, because they should have told you what we did.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County

Sweet. It was asked above but I didn’t see an answer. You have your HQL or exemption correct?

Now you go to the FFL, pick out your handgun, give them the app number and pin for the 77r when they ask for it.

You will also need to fill out the federal form 4473. Some shops do it electronically (they have a laptop you use) while others still use a paper form.

ETA: I assume you couldn’t have completed your part of the 77r if you didn’t have an HQL number to enter.

ETA2: you will be charged a $10 MSP fee. That is normal.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Do you have your HQL as well?

A MD Wear and Carry Permit does not allow you to purchase a handgun.

SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    Fill out three or four more 77R's. You'll need them one day.
    One warning on that, if you renew or replace your MD driver's license before you use up those apps, that number will be changing if it doesn't already start with "MD..." Your DL number is part of the application, so if you forget you have a new DL you'll probably at the very least be causing your application to be delayed.

I just fill out an app on my phone when I remember about the time I get in my car to go to the store. Or in the parking lot at the store.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    just fill out another 77R it's not like credit it does not effect your approval, you can make a few, put the PIN on paper, put the paper in your wallet, and just give the FFL your pin then go through the process if I recall they are good for a year.

I have one for a handgun and one for a rifle in my wallet every time I go to the FFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom