• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    58: has the orig chrome lined barrel.
    2008: dont.
    58: orig barrel is something like 15.5". They have to pin a short muzzle device to get to >16"
    2008: barrel is made >16"
    58: bayonet lug ground off (import issue?) (note, a new front sight w/ lug is ~$20 on the web but you'll have to unpin muzzle device, replace sight, repin. If adding a brake, its a convenient time to do it.)
    2008: has bayo lug
    58: CZ made receiver which Czechpoint USA mills out to accept standard mags (like how arsenal AKs are brought into the country)
    2008: Don't know who century gets to make theirs but its surely US.
    Not sure what internal parts/trigger groups the 2008 is using. I should be able to compare side by side in about two weeks.
    That's my understanding, too.
    Just got back from the range with mine and I was hitting 3" groups easily from 50'.

I've only encountered two problems with this rifle: 1) upon receipt, the trigger was extremely stiff. I don't have a gage, but probably ~15 pounds. It was so stiff that my finger hurt after pulling it three or four times; and 2) the front grips get blazing hot after ~25 rounds (I generally wear a glove on my left hand, so that isn't a big deal tho').
    I was able to easily remedy the stiff trigger by slightly collapsing one its two leaf springs until I had the trigger I wanted. Now, it's about perfect with a nice break.

Leaf sights tend to make me cranky. So, in this case, I replaced the OEM leaf with an aftermarket peep sight and its sight picture is very Garand-like. In fact, it's more Garand-like than the Garand....a good thing. I'd say hit accuracy's now limited by the sights and not the gun.

I also found that the muzzle break it comes with appears to be designed for an AK, with its lower tongue centered around 5 o'clock (i.e., slightly off-center) to counter the slight twisting torque from the AK's rotating bolt (the vz's bolt doesn't rotate; it slides). So I got a coupla replacement breaks: one, which is similar to the original, but with its tongue correctly centered at 6 o'clock; and, the other, a higher end break, which is what's currently on the gun in the photos. A bit pricey, but it does a good job of eliminating most of the muzzle lift and mitigating some of the recoil. The result is that the rifle feels more like an AR-10 than a Kalashnikov, which is what it originally felt like.

Overall, I'm more than pleased with the '2008. I've got a pretty good stockpile of non-corrosive Wolf ammo and always clean-up right after shooting. Tho' time'll tell whether the lack of a chrome lined barrel will prove a shortcoming or not.

Attachments

• CAI vz2008 001+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg
      CAI vz2008 001+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg
      150.6 KB · Views: 532
    • CAI vz2008 002+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg
      CAI vz2008 002+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg
      170.7 KB · Views: 558
    • peep.jpg
      peep.jpg
      39.2 KB · Views: 631
    • zendl break 01.jpg
      zendl break 01.jpg
      39 KB · Views: 512
    Last edited:
    just picked up one last week. Ran it today no issues except the ft sight needs to be moved. Common problem with AK sights.Great deal from Duffys it just needs some fine tuning. Front hand guard heat is an issue.It should come with a kevlar left hand glove. I am looking forward to running this rifle in the future.

This vz2008 is a side folder and I expected it to hurt but it did achieve a 3 inch group at 50 f with no discomfort.( 3 shooters)

robobob

Oct 24, 2009
    That's my understanding, too.
    Just got back from the range with mine and I was hitting 3" groups easily from 50'.

I've only encountered two problems with this rifle: 1) upon receipt, the trigger was extremely stiff. I don't have a gage, but probably ~15 pounds. It was so stiff that my finger hurt after pulling it three or four times; and 2) the front grips get blazing hot after ~25 rounds (I generally wear a glove on my left hand, so that isn't a big deal tho').
    I was able to easily remedy the stiff trigger by slightly collapsing one its two leaf springs until I had the trigger I wanted. Now, it's about perfect with a nice break.

Leaf sights tend to make me cranky. So, in this case, I replaced the OEM leaf with an aftermarket peep sight and its sight picture is very Garand-like. In fact, it's more Garand-like than the Garand....a good thing. I'd say hit accuracy's now limited by the sights and not the gun.

I also found that the muzzle break it comes with appears to be designed for an AK, with its lower tongue centered around 5 o'clock (i.e., slightly off-center) to counter the slight twisting torque from the AK's rotating bolt (the vz's bolt doesn't rotate; it slides). So I got a coupla replacement breaks: one, which is similar to the original, but with its tongue correctly centered at 6 o'clock; and, the other, a higher end break, which is what's currently on the gun in the photos. A bit pricey, but it does a good job of eliminating most of the muzzle lift and mitigating some of the recoil. The result is that the rifle feels more like an AR-10 than a Kalashnikov, which is what it originally felt like.

Overall, I'm more than pleased with the '2008. I've got a pretty good stockpile of non-corrosive Wolf ammo and always clean-up right after shooting. Tho' time'll tell whether the lack of a chrome lined barrel will prove a shortcoming or not.

--
    Nice Zendl Brake...but where in the world did you find that slant cut with the tongue at 6 o'clock??

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I finally got to shoot my VZ2008 today after receiving it a week ago.
    I'm impressed with this rifle, especially what I paid for it. The gun is robustly built and the design is elegantly simple. My AR is my best weapon and I spent a small fortune to get it where I want it but the VZ cycles smoother and feels right. I don't think you can buy a better gun for under $800.
    I feel sorry for anyone who didn't get in on this deal.

Feb 28, 2013
    I finally got to shoot my VZ2008 today after receiving it a week ago.
    I'm impressed with this rifle, especially what I paid for it. The gun is robustly built and the design is elegantly simple. My AR is my best weapon and I spent a small fortune to get it where I want it but the VZ cycles smoother and feels right. I don't think you can buy a better gun for under $800.
    I feel sorry for anyone who didn't get in on this deal.

Duffy's is treating folks pretty good on those rifles. He has a few on hand now.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    1) upon receipt, the trigger was extremely stiff. I don't have a gage, but probably ~15 pounds.
    I was able to easily remedy the stiff trigger by slightly collapsing one its two leaf springs until I had the trigger I wanted.

I found this true on the VZ2008s I have. CRAZY heavy triggers.

Comparing the fire control groups side by side to the VZ58 I also have there is a major difference. The 58 uses the factory semi-sear (w/a spacer replacing the auto sear). Only the left most spring presses on the sear (its only as wide as the spring finger anyway.) They even cut OFF the auto-sear right side spring so it wouldn't work even if you managed to install it. The 2008 in comparison uses a new double wide sear that BOTH springs push on.:tdown: I plan to cut one of the springs off completely and possibly narrow the sear just like the real thing.

Comparing the bolts, it looks like century is using the real deal. The stampings closely match my real ones. They painted EVERYTHING though (including the springs.)

One of the 2008s came w/ a busted front sight post:tdown: that I didn't catch until today. Had to replace it from the 58 parts kit I have and will order a replacement for that from Numrich next time I need some stuff.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Duffy's is treating folks pretty good on those rifles. He has a few on hand now.

I got mine from PSA delivered to WV along with my Bother-in-laws otherwise I would have supported our local IPs.
    PSA is sold out very quickly, I'm still in disbelief they can sell this kind of quality firearm at this price.

Feb 28, 2013
    I got mine from PSA delivered to WV along with my Bother-in-laws otherwise I would have supported our local IPs.
    PSA is sold out very quickly, I'm still in disbelief they can sell this kind of quality firearm at this price.

Yeah, I certainly think the VZ-2008 is a step above the WASR-10, this coming from a man who owns both.

Glad you got one from PSA. If they knew you were from MD though they might have told you to GFY.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I like how the trigger feels on mine.

Same here. I have what I feel is a six pound trigger, maybe more but it's very smooth. There is a little creep but I was expecting that since it's not a target trigger and it was better then what I expected. When the striker lets go it has an air gun kind of sound which is interesting.

I examined both my gun and my Bother-in-laws and they were built very well and were both consistent in the quality. They say no two firearms are alike but the only difference I could find is that his folder button was a little stiff and it probably needed to be oiled.
    I have to admit that most of the parts including the trigger group were a little stiff but after a good lubrication and racking the slide a number of times it loosened it up and it started to function smooth as silk. I ran the gun wet today for the break-in and it felt better then any AK I have fired. No gremlin issue and everything felt solid.
    The only gun that fired smoother was my friends HK MR762A1.

I know there are some that got duds and it's sad to say the least but I think there are more good examples then bad ones on the market.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah, I certainly think the VZ-2008 is a step above the WASR-10, this coming from a man who owns both.

Glad you got one from PSA. If they knew you were from MD though they might have told you to GFY.

Probably would have but fortunately my BIL gifted me one of the two he bought and I filled out the paper work at his FFL.
    I was a little worried they would refuse because it looks like an AK. They had reservations both because of the way the gun looked and the border state issue but after talking to someone they had on speed dial they got the ok.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    After reading the article I had to go fondle mine again.:)

I was surprised to get a CAI rifle with a 2 stage trigger. Now I want one in my WASR, instead of that Tapco setup.

Tapco AK triggers are actually REALLY good as far as AK triggers go. Compared to the trigger slap and other problems I've had with kit guns and even an odd arsenal, I'll take a light single or double hook tapco trigger ANY day.

people think just because tapco is affordable it's crap, or at least poor quality, that is simply not the case. I had occaision to have some back and forth with their R&D boys after some trouble I had with their old mini-14 magazines. Since then they have added metal lips, redesigned the internal tolerances, and changed the blend of the polymer to give it different mechanical characteristics.

Some of their stuff is on the cheaper side, but most of their products are reliable and of great quality especially considering the price. Before they switched to the cheaper polymer composition on their slab sided AK mags those were without a doubt some of the most durable and rugged AK mags I've ever owned. I ran the things over, froze them, and in general put them to hard hard use. The only way I was able to make one fail was to smash it with a hammer on a concrete floor, and frankly that would destroy ANY magazine.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Oh, and as far as the 2008 goes, their great.

As long as you make sure the ejector is welded in properly and the geometry is right so that the carrier doesn't hang up during chambering, then they're great.

Many many rounds through mine, and no noticeable barrel wear, although I tend to let my guns cool between strings, so YMMV. I was originally concerned about the non chrome lined barrel, but they are actually contracted to green mountain, the same people that made my favorite 10/22 barrel. The steel is softer than some, but not nearly as soft as the Yugo AK barrels, and everyone seems to like them and people seem to think they hold up okay. Just don't shoot them till they get super duper hot, and your barrel should last a long long time.

For a folder in such a light handy size and weight, in 7.62x39 no less? can't beat it.

Unless we could have AK pistols in MD, and put a brace on one or SBR it.

Feb 28, 2013
    Tapco AK triggers are actually REALLY good as far as AK triggers go. Compared to the trigger slap and other problems I've had with kit guns and even an odd arsenal, I'll take a light single or double hook tapco trigger ANY day.

people think just because tapco is affordable it's crap, or at least poor quality, that is simply not the case.

I don't know enough about triggers to be able to question Tapco's quality. You may be right, but I just don't care for how it feels, compared to the one on my VZ. :)

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    just picked up one last week. Ran it today no issues except the ft sight needs to be moved. Common problem with AK sights.Great deal from Duffys it just needs some fine tuning. Front hand guard heat is an issue.It should come with a set of kevlar gloves. I am looking forward to running this rifle in the future.

This vz2008 is a side folder and I expected it to hurt but it did achieve a 3 inch group at 50 f with no discomfort.( 3 shooters)

FIFY. Not everyone is right handed. ;)

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I replaced the OEM leaf with an aftermarket peep sight and its sight picture is very Garand-like. In fact, it's more Garand-like than the Garand....a good thing. I'd say hit accuracy's now limited by the sights and not the gun.

Fred,

Can you provide some insight into the peep sight? Who is the manufacturer, how difficult was it to install?

I am not crazy about the standard sights on my VZ either.

Thanks!

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Fred,

Can you provide some insight into the peep sight? Who is the manufacturer, how difficult was it to install?

I am not crazy about the standard sights on my VZ either.

Thanks!

I'm not Fred but I believe I bought the same sights as him.
    The manufacture is Mojo and they make a specific replacement sight for the VZ. It has both windage, elevation adjustment and you can change the apertures with their aperture kit.
    Removal requires you to press down on what looks like a detent below the notch on the sight. It's actually a leaf spring that needs to be pressed in hard and at the same time the the original sight can slide out from underneath. Replacement with the new peep sight is just the reverse and is easier.

Although you will still have a shorter sight radius, I found these sights to have a very natural point of aim as a battle sight because you can see everything else in your peripheral vision unlike dedicated target sights that give you tunnel vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom