• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Sling i agree pretty nice gig, wintertime is a beast. These tugs have great food and galleys
    I went out on one for 16 hours or more a long time ago , they fed us well

A friend of my son did this for a while. He made great money for someone with no experience and since he was on the tug he really couldn’t spend it. He learned to cook and shop for a group and since he tried so hard to make them good meals he pretty much got immediate acceptance as one of the guys. He was pushing coal barges so it was dirty work.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I tryied to get into a pilots position program 24 years ago after I got my captains license. You definitely had to know someone
    Had a better chance of being a made man in the mafia. Things changed that much since then?

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I tryied to get into a pilots position program 24 years ago after I got my captains license. You definitely had to know someone
    Had a better chance of being a made man in the mafia. Things changed that much since then?

IIRC it's a deck hand position with potential to move up; depending.
    You are free to apply; and sincerely good wishes.

Opportunity or misfortune; the wheel turns all the same.:D

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012

Anything is possible - just look at who grew up to be POTUS...

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Sounds like a great opportunity.
    Gives you a pathway to earning a maritime engineer license that will allow you to get MD. Engineer license that are super demanded now. (I still can’t fill operating positions at work )Plus if it gives you a chance at a bay pilot license. Not easy to get. Time served counts for you to take usgc captains license. Person could right his own ticket.
    Hope some young person jumps on this.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    For starter positions i found out pay for a deckhand, it is for two weeks on and two weeks off. 200.00 per day for 14 days i think 2,800 gross pay. They have all the food and sleeping quarters, if nothing to do you can rest up. That is for a person at entry level. They will also pay for education to advance.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    For starter positions i found out pay for a deckhand, it is for two weeks on and two weeks off. 200.00 per day for 14 days i think 2,800 gross pay. They have all the food and sleeping quarters, if nothing to do you can rest up. That is for a person at entry level. They will also pay for education to advance.

Song for everything... Boatman

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

How many hours is their working day?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    How many hours is their working day?

A day is 24 hours, because the tug is on standby, it is 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.

I am not debating about the pay being fair or not. I am sharing information and providing a service to the community of MDS .

Also they provide health benefits from day one i have been told.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County

What is the minimum age?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Then i would say it is not for you :thumbsup:***See post 30

Okay i am going to say this again, i am doing this post for the community of MDS and not for my benefit.

I am sharing information, not my job to tell someone if wages are fair or not.

Also wages consist of many things in this job.

Health, wages , possible further education in the trade, and possible other retirement or 401K.
    It is the person that is inquiring to ask questions check out the facts. If it is not worth it please apply at the hateful chicken place. No skin off my tail.

It looks like 33K plus a year

That's not even $16 per hour. You can beat that at chik fil a and have Sundays off.

Yeah, big future in that..

It is a $36k starting pay job to be on standby and off half of the year. I don't think too many fast food jobs have the advancement potential for an 18yo with zero experience.
    As stated by others, becoming a bay pilot requires an "in". This job sure as hell sounds like an "in" for future growth.
    Hindsight 20/20 (at age 50) this would have been a great opportunity right out of high school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom