• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Years ago I had to open hatches on a Hale barge for inspection. Being a mechanic when they offered new a tour of the tug, I jumped. It is mind blowing how clean the engine room was, if I dro]ped a sandwich I'd have no problem picking it up and eating it. Also, RPM of a tug engine shocked me, something like 900RPM! That's idle speed for your car or truck! Awesome pieces of machinery!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    It is a $36k starting pay job to be on standby and off half of the year. I don't think too many fast food jobs have the advancement potential for an 18yo with zero experience.
    As stated by others, becoming a bay pilot requires an "in". This job sure as hell sounds like an "in" for future growth.
    Hindsight 20/20 (at age 50) this would have been a great opportunity right out of high school.

It's a long path from unlicensed deckhand to pilot or even master of a tug. Yes, it's a good opportunity but it takes time, formal training and luck to move up the ranks to the jobs that pay 'well'. You also have to be cut out for life on a boat. Particularly the small vessels are quite limited in their amenities and depending on the kind of business the vessel does, there are long periods of boredom where not much happens.

benevmull

May 2, 2022
    Bel Air, MD
    I have a customer looking for Deckhands - Mates- or Pilots , can start out as a deckhand and work your way up.

Sounds like a wonderful job for a young person to work their way up. HS education and make good money. The company also pays for higher education and insurance on first day.

Pilots make 200K a year (2 weeks on 2 weeks off) .

PM me for more information i will give you contact info.
    Can you send me a PM? Appreciated.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    Okay i am going to say this again, i am doing this post for the community of MDS and not for my benefit.

I am sharing information, not my job to tell someone if wages are fair or not.

Also wages consist of many things in this job.

Health, wages , possible further education in the trade, and possible other retirement or 401K.
    It is the person that is inquiring to ask questions check out the facts. If it is not worth it please apply at the hateful chicken place. No skin off my tail.
    it's a great opportunity for a young person , you can write your own ticket if you work hard .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom