• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Soul Rebel

Mar 8, 2013
    i've bought a couple pistols and rifles from them before the panic. i was lucky to deal with the owner, can't remember his name, but he was great. all of the other employees i've dealt with suck, especially that doucher ziggy.

more than one time i asked if they had a specific firearm in stock and his response would be "why would you want one of those?" (glock 21) or "that doesn't exist". (marlin camp carbine in .45 acp). it got to the point that i would just walk out if i saw he was the only one behind the counter.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I don't usually rag on gun shops, at least not publically, but I'll make an exception for Continental Arms. Two experiences with Continental. One old and one more recent, but both equally bad. When they first opened many years ago I eagerly joined and was well within the first 100 members or so. Convenient, new equipment, etc. How could it go wrong? Well, I was properly transporting and they still managed to make me feel like I was doing something wrong. I have no problems with safety, and if range policy is to inspect mags that's fine, but was it really necessary to make sure I knew how to field strip and reassemble multiple semi-autos? With the employee all the while imparting words of unsolicited wisdom geared more toward establishing that I was among true "Gun Gods" rather than providing a worthwhile service to a new customer. I didn't join to be talked down to when I wasn't doing anything improper, and even if I had been I would have welcomed input if it came with a positive attitude. I shot there once and was so put off by the experience and never went back and let the membership expire.

Second event was just a few months ago, but I got the exact same attitude. I should have known - they must teach it in new employee training. I wanted to purchase a specific firearm, by a popular well-known manufacturer, that had already been approved by the roster board but that hadn't been added to the list pending objections. I new it would have to be ordered and knew I would have to wait. Continental is a known dealer for that manufacturer. So I exchanged emails with the owner/husband who seemed pleasant enough, and he said come on over to talk, but we got our wires crossed and I wound up at the Reisterstown shop by mistake - BTW they were very helpful there. So I immediately road over to Timonium, was there within an hour, but by then the Owner was not there. The fella behind the counter was nice enough but referred me to the Owner's Mrs. Then all went bad. I explained I had already communicated with her husband, and what I wanted. Nevertheless I got the third degree. Its not on the roster? [I know]. Why do you want it? [Because I am exercising my 2A rights, its really none of your business, why do you sell them if you have to ask?]. We'd have to order it. [No kidding, that's why I am here]. What specific model? [xxxxx]. Wouldn't you rather have a different model we have already have in the safe that another customer may have changed his mind on? [No thank you]. You will have to pay in advance and wait. [No kidding, I have my check book, I am prepared to pay for it in full, let's write it up.] Well let's see if we can order it - I'll check the computer. Is it this the one? [Yes]. That one has the . . . do you really want that? [Yes]. Well we will have to call you after we confirm availability. [Okay] Give me your drivers license, I want to make a photo copy. [What?, well okay - thinking they were really going to follow up they would get it anyway]. She photo copies my drivers license, comments on where I live (actually a very nice community) and requests all of my phone numbers. [I gave her my home, cell, and work numbers]. Still I walked out thinking irritated with the attitude and the poor customer service, but figured I'd just have to put up with it. NEVER GOT A RETURN CALL OR SO MUCH AS A VOICE MESSAGE to say they couldn't or why they wouldn't sell me a $1,000 pistol. So I purchased it through Baltimore's Best Pawn for $150 less - no hassles, prompt release, friendly folks, and NO I will never go back to Continental. BBP, the Gun Shop, and Shooters Discount got the rest of my pre-October business. Besides for range time, Freestate is closer, and while I might not be among self-anointed "Gun God's" I have never gotten an ounce of attitude - just good service. To this day both of these experiences baffle me.

BuRNMIA

May 28, 2013
    I just talked to Continental and they have a meeting with ATF
    tomorrow to discuss on time release. I have a pistol that I paid way to much
    for in their vault and like others I am very anxious to receive my goods.
    I should have checked with the other FFL's in the area before
    I made the purchase because I paid $160.00 over local competition
    I was very unhappy. Live and learn.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Shot there yesterday. Great time shooting. All the employees were nice. However I saw several non panic affected firearms, at prices $500 above MSRP and regular price. They did have an M82 Barrett there for $12,500 but xxnitroxx wouldnt go for it. Hahaha

I was there when the guy consigned the Barret saying what he wanted out of it. The owner told him it was too much money but that he'd give it a try. It does have a $2,000 Nightforce scope on it also.

RavensFan11

May 28, 2013
    Timonium
    I purchased my first handgun there in April and it was only $10 higher in cost than 2 other shops. It was almost impossible to find anywhere at the time and since they had it, I bought it. I wish they released in time, but the wait is over and I pick up this week. I have been shooting there quite a but, and they for sure warm up to you as they get to know you. I get a friendly greeting as I enter the store and the range folks are very nice. I was reminded once that all guns must be cased and uncased at the firing line and not behind it at the window, but I like that rule as it keeps me safe from others who may not be practicing safety techniques. The range is dark and needs updated, but overall I like it there and it is 5 minutes from the house. I do want to try Freestate some day to compare, but Continental is working out for me. If you are new there, don't let the first impression turn you away...they are pretty decent folks and do appear to be getting friendlier.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Lately ive been having a good time there. Its really hit or miss. Im willing to deal with it for the less than 2 mile drive. Our private range is 30 minutes away, so on shitty days or at bad traffic times I just head over to Continental. Ladies night is ok there, ladies shoot free. (Minus ammo of course). Coming in with empty mags helps me shoot slower and save ammo. I'll probably never buy a gun there unless my back is against the wall but I do shoot there every few months. Freedom Armory is my favorite indoor range. In poor weather I'll head up there to sight in stuff on the 50 yard indoor rifle lane. Freestate has been good to me, I just hate how they have ammo out on the floor with prices but sometimes wont sell it out the door.

Tylenator

May 18, 2012
    Carroll County
    I think of continental arms as a one night stand. Its great for a night, but I dont wanna be around it all the time.

POSITIVE
    Initially when I was in the market to purchase a handgun, they were extremely friendly, talkative, and knowledgeable (because they wanted to make a sale). Nothing wrong with that, its business. I bought a fairly priced PPQ from them.

2. Then when I was in the market for a revolver they let me test fire one that was actually for sale (because it was already a pre-owned weapon). They even provided the rounds for me at their cost, not mine.

NEGATIVE
    1. A few of their employees have a habit of not checking that a weapon is clear after they pull it out of the case and hand it to me. Some people wouldn't mind this because they assume all weapons are clear since you're in a gun shop. I on the other hand, am extremely bothered by this. Think about it... How difficult would it really be to slip a couple cartridges into a 4sale gun when an employee has their back turned? That's like, rule number one. If someone hands you a gun and doesn't demonstrate that it's clear (when it is supposed to be) they're an idiot, so assume that it's loaded.

2. Because of my good experiences with them I decided to bring in an AR 15 i picked up on a trade that wasnt cycling. At that time I knew nothing about AR 15s and had no idea how to troubleshoot the problem. The owner of continental arms, their "rifle guy", and two other employees failed to determine the issue with the AR not cycling. Yet they tried to sell me a lower parts kit telling me that replacing all of it may or may not fix it, but its a good place to start. REALLY? a $65 guess. No thanks.

So I went on the AR forums and learned about ARs. 3 days later, I went out and bought a shrouded bolt carrier ($70 from a gun show) to replace the unshrouded bolt carrier in the rifle. Ta-da. Problem solved. (The hammer was getting caught up on the bottom of the unshrouded carrier).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Freedom Armory is my favorite indoor range. In poor weather I'll head up there to sight in stuff on the 50 yard indoor rifle lane.

Do you have to join to shoot here and what calibers will the rifle range accept? I was going to go to the AGC today but the weather sucks....

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Do you have to join to shoot here and what calibers will the rifle range accept? I was going to go to the AGC today but the weather sucks....

No limit. Weve shot 500 s&w in the pistol range and 50bmg in the rifle range.

And nope, no join. Go up, and have a blast. $17.50 for a half hour on the rifle range i think. Pricey but PHENOMENAL facility. Clean, GREAT ventilation and wonderful staff. Ive made a few purchases from them. Tons of free gun magazine/catalogue shwag too. Obscure ammo, mags, tactical gear, hunting gear, black powder, reloading, tons of parking and great restaurants right nearby.

Also, lots of awesome rentals. Optics, clean shitters. I cant say enough good about them. Very MD friendly.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    It appears that even after their mtg with BATF, they will NOT be releasing until an ND is received from MSP.

If you want to receive your purchase earlier than that, have it transferred to an FFl that releases early.

BuRNMIA

May 28, 2013
    Do you have to resubmit the MSP application If you transfer to another FFL?
    Sorry if that is a dumb question!

Bel Air Guy

Jul 29, 2013
    Continental

I have purchased a few pistols from them, all used difficult to find and in excellent condition. Their prices were a bit high but they had what I wanted. They are holding a pistol I purchased early in July and are irritated every time I stop by or call to check on their current release policy. I recently purchased a pistol from the Bank in HDG, small friendly and treated me like family (they do 8 day releases). I will try to have my weapon in their safe shipped to the Bank, I will not jump thru the Owe'Malley hoops after 1 Oct. nor will I have future dealings with Continental.

BuRNMIA

May 28, 2013
    I'm right behind you Bel Air Guy I just hate to put even more money into this purchase!

Bel Air Guy

Jul 29, 2013
    I know the feeling, I paid a bit more than the pistol was worth but it was perfect. I am wondering how bad Continental is going to gouge me to do a transfer. If it's to crazy I might just cancel the purchase and chalk the loss up to my own stupidity. Are they still demanding 50% of the price and 15% restocking fees with the balance of the refund in store credit? That was the last I heard and it stinks considering they are breaking the contract we entered into by adding additional fees and waits for conditions MSP has yet to enact.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    The "Gun God" wouldn't happen to be the tall guy, with long hair would it? He said something to me, about where my rifle muzzle was pointed (up) walking in. He was a real jerk about it.

Then, a few months later, I was at Hap Baker, and the tall, old curmudgeon there :-), gave me grief for having my muzzle pointed towards the ground, the way that Continental wanted me to point it. I never thought about the concrete floor, but still, no need to be a D I C K about it. hahahahahaha....wasn't just me either, seen him do that with just about anyone, well, except females!! I'm sure he never had much luck with the ladies when he was young :-)

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    The "Gun God" wouldn't happen to be the tall guy, with long hair would it? He said something to me, about where my rifle muzzle was pointed (up) walking in. He was a real jerk about it.

Then, a few months later, I was at Hap Baker, and the tall, old curmudgeon there :-), gave me grief for having my muzzle pointed towards the ground, the way that Continental wanted me to point it. I never thought about the concrete floor, but still, no need to be a D I C K about it. hahahahahaha....wasn't just me either, seen him do that with just about anyone, well, except females!! I'm sure he never had much luck with the ladies when he was young :-)

Would that be the guy with grey hair and smokes cheap cigars and a pipe?

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    I know the feeling, I paid a bit more than the pistol was worth but it was perfect. I am wondering how bad Continental is going to gouge me to do a transfer. If it's to crazy I might just cancel the purchase and chalk the loss up to my own stupidity. Are they still demanding 50% of the price and 15% restocking fees with the balance of the refund in store credit? That was the last I heard and it stinks considering they are breaking the contract we entered into by adding additional fees and waits for conditions MSP has yet to enact.

now that's nucking futs and would really piss me off

glad I bought at an FFL that releases on time. I feel sorry for you guys
    :sad20::tdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom