• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Whats the difference in finish on those? Is the top one the nitride? I really like it! They look good in an ACE stock as well.

the bottom one is the nitride, the top is an earlier production rifle which has a gloss paint finish. The pics have a bit of filter on them so they appear to be a bit more shiny than they actually are....

9438330441_885a1a315e_b.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    the bottom one is the nitride, the top is an earlier production rifle which has a gloss paint finish. The pics have a bit of filter on them so they appear to be a bit more shiny than they actually are....

9438330441_885a1a315e_b.jpg

Cool.........

I notice you use a redot instead of a PSP type siderail mount optic?

Any advice on the optics? What I am aiming for is keeping the VZ2008 as a close in blaster and the VZ58 a quasi DMR.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Cool.........

I notice you use a redot instead of a PSP type siderail mount optic?

Any advice on the optics? What I am aiming for is keeping the VZ2008 as a close in blaster and the VZ58 a quasi DMR.

The vortex SPARC has been on this rifle for a while now, it just works for me. I think if I buy another VZ I will give the siderail a try.

Just took this pic with a M4 styled stock installed.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have a VZ2008 with a tabbed carrier, and mine is both reliable and very accurate. I would, however, LOVE a 5.56 VZ58. Last I looked they were sold out for a while.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have a VZ2008 with a tabbed carrier, and mine is both reliable and very accurate. I would, however, LOVE a 5.56 VZ58. Last I looked they were sold out for a while.

The ONLY issue I have with my VZ2008, is that it doesn't like HP rounds. It wants ball ammo all the way. If I start with ball on the first round, and then move to HP the rest of the way down the stack, it usually cycles just fine. Every once in a while, it won't eat an HP mid stack.

If I needed it to be 100% reliable, I would only have ball ammo. Problem be, I have an ammo box load of HP.

jasonk1229

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    MD
    I snagged one(vz2008) recently but I didn't get any extra mags just one plugged 20 rounder. Anywhere besides gunbroker to snag extra mags?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I snagged one(vz2008) recently but I didn't get any extra mags just one plugged 20 rounder. Anywhere besides gunbroker to snag extra mags?

There have been a few at the bigger gunshows, not super cheap but not that expensive. $25 if I remember but bet you could get 5 for $100.

Jstevens56

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2012
    Somewhere in Merryland
    The last few batches of 2008's were actually assembled by PSA, you can tell whether your Century 2008 was assembled by them or PSA, supposedly the PSA ones don't have the issues that the earlier Century ones did.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

Id love the 5.56 too, I don't see them becoming available soon but when they do I am on it

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Is there any way to tell what PSA did different?

Just taking a guess but I believe the rifles with the right-handed thread might be the PSA build. Still the goofiest thing about the 2008 is the slant brake.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Just finished up this video showcasing a VZ58 SBR, if this doesn't make you want to take the plunge I don't know what will...

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Just finished up this video showcasing a VZ58 SBR, if this doesn't make you want to take the plunge I don't know what will...

Good video, definitely on the hook its just a matter of trying to get out to get one. Not easy to find. I think Duffy's still has a few but that's a little bit of a treck, not bad but hard to schedule.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Our friends at Duffys have 5.56 guns available soon. I have raised my hand for one in a fixed poly stock. More 7.62 guns with fixed stocks in November (think I will get one of those two)

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    If you need a bit more persuading, buy/rent Episode 9 from the first season of HBO/Cinemax's Strike Back series. The program's reasonably good on its own, but this particular episode's chock full o' '58s, which makes the program even more exciting.

I reckon most here'll fancy the guns' tacticool habiliment, but I prefer them just the way CZ originally intended them.

Attachments

• 1665 & vz-58 023+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg
      1665 & vz-58 023+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg
      70.4 KB · Views: 303

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I've owned d-tech rifles and I own a few vz-2008s and I am going to tell you right now, the actual czech rifles are better, absolutely.

That said, after having all the metal parts other than springs black nitride treated the vz-2008 REALLY comes into it's own. The main issue I have seen with these guns is the painted finish interfering with tolerances. The gremlin has not been an issue for me at all.

If you theoretically pull the trigger in the fraction of a second between when the bolt has ridden over the sear, but before it rides back over the disconnector the striker will not be retained on the sear. I have never been able to make this happen, and I have tried like all god damn hell. The reason the trigger pull is a bit stiffer in the 2008s is because they use a stronger combination leaf spring that among other things, retains the sear. It works very well. If you are really upset about it, buy a tabbed bolt carrier for 30 bucks, but I am not kidding when I tell you I have tried with EVERYTHING I HAVE to cause that gremlin to show up and have been unable to make it even pulling the trigger like a spastic little goblin.

green mountain barrels have always taken well to nitride treatment, and the ones on the 2008 are no exception. I have blasted a living shit ton of the romanian blaster ammo sealed with the green lacquer around the primers, the same ammo that gives some of my rifles fits and is known to be problematic... never caused a single malfunction and I am not seeing any kind of undue wear, or really ANY wear for that matter.

That said, the czechpoint rifles are better rifles. Especially now that czechpoint is having all the guns finished in QPQ nitride from the factory, even the chrome lined barrels are treated. Not only does this make the entire rifle basically completely rust proof, but makes the inside of the gun cycle like glass on glass, and makes the locking recesses in the receiver basically immune to wear.

So which is the better VALUE? definitely the 2008, especially considering that you can send along a bunch of other parts with the rifle for not much extra cost to be treated. I had some leatherman tools, sks bolts, and two tokarevs done last time among other things.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I've owned d-tech rifles and I own a few vz-2008s and I am going to tell you right now, the actual czech rifles are better, absolutely.

That said, after having all the metal parts other than springs black nitride treated the vz-2008 REALLY comes into it's own. The main issue I have seen with these guns is the painted finish interfering with tolerances. The gremlin has not been an issue for me at all.

If you theoretically pull the trigger in the fraction of a second between when the bolt has ridden over the sear, but before it rides back over the disconnector the striker will not be retained on the sear. I have never been able to make this happen, and I have tried like all god damn hell. The reason the trigger pull is a bit stiffer in the 2008s is because they use a stronger combination leaf spring that among other things, retains the sear. It works very well. If you are really upset about it, buy a tabbed bolt carrier for 30 bucks, but I am not kidding when I tell you I have tried with EVERYTHING I HAVE to cause that gremlin to show up and have been unable to make it even pulling the trigger like a spastic little goblin.

green mountain barrels have always taken well to nitride treatment, and the ones on the 2008 are no exception. I have blasted a living shit ton of the romanian blaster ammo sealed with the green lacquer around the primers, the same ammo that gives some of my rifles fits and is known to be problematic... never caused a single malfunction and I am not seeing any kind of undue wear, or really ANY wear for that matter.

That said, the czechpoint rifles are better rifles. Especially now that czechpoint is having all the guns finished in QPQ nitride from the factory, even the chrome lined barrels are treated. Not only does this make the entire rifle basically completely rust proof, but makes the inside of the gun cycle like glass on glass, and makes the locking recesses in the receiver basically immune to wear.

So which is the better VALUE? definitely the 2008, especially considering that you can send along a bunch of other parts with the rifle for not much extra cost to be treated. I had some leatherman tools, sks bolts, and two tokarevs done last time among other things.

Thanks, definitely doing the 5.56, not much argument on Czech/CAI there. Luckily I already have a VZ2008 for a blaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom