• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I don't think that's possible with a scope (even a 1x)... thus the QD mounts.

Correct. It's impossible for a scope to focus that closely. Minimum focus distance is typically at least 10-20 feet in front of the scope, much further for some scopes and especially at higher magnifications.

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Blu,
    Do both scopes co witness with the BUIS?? is your rear BUIS deployable with the scope mounted that far back?

Thanks

I see the question has already been answered. I should add that the images show the optics mounted further forward than where they would normally reside, and it was shot that way to add a bit of "cool" perspective. The eyepiece actually sits more or less flush with the rear of the charging handle for proper eye relief (YMMV). Hence the reason why the QD option was a critical feature for me when selecting a mount, allowing for a quick dismount of the optic should the need arise to switch over to irons in a hurry. In the end, the Burris P.E.P.R. and Vortex PST combo is what's currently residing on my carbine.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Gotcha. I had an ACOG years ago on a flat top AR that I sold but didnt have any experience with other scopes on the AR so didn't know.

Thanks guys

TEN-X

Aug 16, 2011
    Prince Frederick MD
    1-5 Weaver Tactical

You're right about the Millet, it's not up to snuff for a tactical scope. The Weaver Tactical 1-5X with 30mm tube is. It has first focal plane lit reticle so at 1X it acts much like a red dot. As you crank the power the reticle gets larger, more like a conventional scope. The glass is Japanese and very clear and bright. MSRP is $1000 but I got one from Midway for $669. Don't confuse this with the Chinese Kaspa. I have it on a RRA Coyote and am very pleased with it.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Does anyone have a Vortex Razor HD? I have been thinking about putting one in 1-4x or 1-6x on my SCAR 17.

I'm trying to figuring out if they are also made in the Phillipines or are they made in Japan. I saw one over at 2A and it was amazingly clear with a huge eye box.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    The Weaver Tactical 1-5X with 30mm tube is. It has first focal plane lit reticle so at 1X it acts much like a red dot. As you crank the power the reticle gets larger, more like a conventional scope. The glass is Japanese and very clear and bright. MSRP is $1000 but I got one from Midway for $669. Don't confuse this with the Chinese Kaspa. I have it on a RRA Coyote and am very pleased with it.

You are exactly right!! It is a first focal plane illuminated reticle, excellent scope for the money!!

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0057.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    Does anyone have a Vortex Razor HD? I have been thinking about putting one in 1-4x or 1-6x on my SCAR 17.

I'm trying to figuring out if they are also made in the Phillipines or are they made in Japan. I saw one over at 2A and it was amazingly clear with a huge eye box.

My vortex viper is made in the Philippines, not sure if all the vortex lines are?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    A lot of big name camera companies have factories in the Philippines. When I was there in the late 60's they had craftsman that could build fake Fender Stratocasters that sounded better than the real ones, and better than the Japanese fakes.
    I have been using a couple of the Firefield 1-6x24 scopes, including one on my 3-gun AR. After one bad match, the last one, I decided to replace it with a Burris MTAC 1-4x24. My biggest problem with the Firefield was something I thought would be a bonus, namely the first focalplane reticle. I have that on a 4-14x44 tactical scope and I love it. However my problem was not the thin reticle at 1x but the thick reticle at 6x. It made it very hard to engage vertically aligned steel targets beyond about 150 yards as the thickness of the expanded crosshair made it difficult to get a perfect alignment on the target. And I am not the only one to say this about it. I was going to replace it with a Vortex Razor HD II 1-6x24 but some emergency SUV repairs required me to scale down my replacement (Vortex $1399 vs Burris $363. I thought about the 1.5-6x30 MTAC which has the same reticle, as my pistolsmith has one on his 3-gun AR. But I like having a 1x low power setting.
    I love the reticle. Much simpler and easier to pick up than a mil-dot setup. And it works illuminated as sort of a red dot for CQB action. Much brighter optics and I think it has the largest exit pupil of any of the main line tactical scopes. I put it on the same AR-Stoner cantilever I had the Firefield on except this time I decided on some blue threadlocker on the screws. Decided not to upgrade the mount as yet. Would love a Larue but the AR-S is only $53 from MidwayUSA (on sale this month at that price from $75). It is a split 2 piece forged alloy mount that slides on the rail. I figure my 3-gun is not going to be swapping scopes. My chosen 55g ammo (Fed 55g Value pack) is zeroed on the lower dots on the MTAC reticle out to 600 yards and my current cheap precision ammo, Ultramax 68g, is zeroed to 400 and only 1 MOA off at 600. Likely won't do a 3-gun match till PNTC starts up again in March, unless I elect to go to York. Will give me time to work on my physical challenges.
    If anyone wants one of the Firefields let me know. I can throw in the Aim Sport cantilever clone of the PEPR as part of the deal. I am keeping one of them to put one one of my rimfire ARs.
    By the way for targets 50 yards and under I use a set of the Barry Dueck offset iron sights depending on the available light and my vision issues.

Last edited:

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20mm Mod 1 Firedot

Finally had a chance to zero in my new rifle with Leupold's new Mark AR optic. Definitely like it as a cost-effective solution to the 1-4x optic problem. Build quality and glass quality is fairly typical of what you've come to expect out of Leupold. The illuminated reticle is nice - it has adjustable brightness and on the dimmer settings the dot gets very, very small. My only real gripe with it is that there's no fast way of toggling between dot settings, but it will remember your illumination setting when you turn it back on. It takes CR2032 batteries, as most of these battery-powered riflescopes do.

FireDot-G+Spr.jpg

Reticle acquires quite readily. I'm using it in conjunction with the Burris PEPR mount. Group below is with 77gr Black Hills Blue Box .223. Barrel on the rifle is a chrome-lined PSA/FN M4A1 barrel.

Attachments

• group.jpg
      group.jpg
      62.5 KB · Views: 1,205
    • DSC_0339.jpg
      DSC_0339.jpg
      58.1 KB · Views: 1,565

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Here is my review of the FireField 1-6x FFP low end scope. I've got 2 of them and am enjoying both.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=87646

-Jim
    I have 2 of them also. I liked them up until I had to shoot a 3-gun match with one of them. While I like the FFP reticle on my 4-14x scope it is a waste of time on a 1-6x and interfered with engaging targets at 6x. Took it off and put a Burris 1-4x24 MTAC on it and that works a whole lot better. I have looked thru a lot of scopes and the only one I liked better than the MTAC is the Vortex Razor HD II 1-6x24, which costs over 3x as much.

mdknighthawk

Feb 16, 2013
    Laurel
    Looking to put optics on my AR, anyone have any feedback on the Barska® Rifle Scope. 3 - 9 x 42 mm Illuminated Reticle AR 15 / M16

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have never seen a Barska that I liked. I bought one of their red dots and found the dot just was not bright enough in daylight to use in matches. If I was going to use an Asian built scope I would choose a BSA as I have had good luck with them. A Sweet 223 with its BDC turrets comes to mind.

Yme

Platinum Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    What kind of mount do you recommend for a Redfield Battlezone ? My buddy just bought one

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    ...I decided to replace it with a Burris MTAC 1-4x24. ...

That is the setup that is going on an AR for me also.

Sports Optics has them on sale right now. $539 for the package with the scope, mount, and Fast Fire holo red dot sight. And GREAT people to deal with.

http://www.sportoptics.com/burris-mtac-rifle-scopes.aspx

For those wanting to save a bit, the Burris TAC30 1-4x is very similar. The difference is a push button for the illuminated rectical, and the whole eyepiece turns for power change versus the ring only for the MTAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom