• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    If you are a Maryland resident and you lawfully own the grandfathered gun, you can transport it. See page 14, lines 9-16.

An out-of-state resident cannot bring in a post-ban rifle, even for a one-day shooting competition or whatever.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114585

I used to be a resident of MD, and still own a home there (never sold it). However, several years ago, I bought a house in WV and became a resident of this wonderful mountainous state. No longer an official resident of MD.

So, then, even while still owning a house & land in MD, I cannot bring firearms from WV to my other home in MD? I guess I can't take my firearms back-and-forth as I reside at one home or the other?:shrug:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The bushmaster Semi-Auto rifle is specifically named: page 22 Line 28.

AR-15 copies are specifically named: Page 23 Line 4 (Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle)

The "Bushmaster" named on the List is a very obscure rifle not manufactured for many years. It is not an AR15. The List does not regulate everything bearing the Bushmaster brand name. I think some people think it does. We must not allow that misconception to take hold.

But you are 100% right. The "Bushmaster" is not the bullpup: it is an almost unknown rifle that looks like this:

protect.pl

protect.pl

Here is a write up, with more photos and links which I found on Arfcom:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=222400

Thank you for the correction, erwos. This rifle is very obscure, and we can thank our wise Legislature for saving us from it's menacing malevolence.

I edited my previous post to reduce further confusion.

Last edited:

CStuard

Sep 8, 2012
    I suspect the list will change soon.If not in the law,then in some regulations. Way too many things that make no sense. IE: a ruger Mini14 in .223 is banned bit a Ruger mini 30 in 7.62 isn't on the list although an AK in the same caliber is on the list. I don't remember all the details but, as I understand it, when Cali instituted their ban years ago some SKS models were not on the list. So people bought a bunch of them. Several years later the gov realized it's mistake and put the models on the list. They didn't care that they had just made criminals out of law abiding citizens.MOM won't either.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That old list has been around since the 80s with only a few minor updates back in the 90s, I think.

If you want a Wilkinson "Terry", you'd better get it before October.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I suspect the list will change soon.If not in the law,then in some regulations. Way too many things that make no sense. IE: a ruger Mini14 in .223 is banned bit a Ruger mini 30 in 7.62 isn't on the list although an AK in the same caliber is on the list. I don't remember all the details but, as I understand it, when Cali instituted their ban years ago some SKS models were not on the list. So people bought a bunch of them. Several years later the gov realized it's mistake and put the models on the list. They didn't care that they had just made criminals out of law abiding citizens.MOM won't either.

only the folding stock ruger .223 model is banned. the ranch rifle is cash and carry.

and the list cannot be changed, its statutory. the only really issue is the interpretation of "copies."

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Folding stock, Fixed mag

Is a telescoping stock considered a "folding stock"?

Pretty sure its not- a "collapsible stock" was originally an "AW feature" but was specifically removed from the bill in committee.

My question-definition of "fixed" magazine? In some places, a fixed magazine is one that requires a tool to remove. Calif compliant MSR's have a magazine release device that must be activated by a "tool" (a golf tee, a bullet tip, or something similar). Does this make it a fixed mag? Ironic if MD would allow a firearm that the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia would not.

On the other hand are there any Calif compliant MSR's that would not otherwise be banned in MD?
    My head is hurting trying to process all of this.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    We can thank Aray's daughter for saving the adjustable telescoping stock for us. I'm convinced her testimony on the "Goldilocks stock" is what saved it.

Thank you, Aray's Daughter, from the bottom of my heart.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    My question-definition of "fixed" magazine? In some places, a fixed magazine is one that requires a tool to remove. Calif compliant MSR's have a magazine release device that must be activated by a "tool" (a golf tee, a bullet tip, or something similar). Does this make it a fixed mag? Ironic if MD would allow a firearm that the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia would not.

The bill does not define "fixed magazine." Presumably it is any magazine that is not a "detachable magazine." The bill does contain a definition of "detachable magazine," on page 11, lines 8-11:

(F) “DETACHABLE MAGAZINE” MEANS AN AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE THAT CAN BE REMOVED READILY FROM A FIREARM WITHOUT REQUIRING DISASSEMBLY OF THE FIREARM ACTION OR WITHOUT THE USE OF A TOOL, INCLUDING A BULLET OR CARTRIDGE.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I used to be a resident of MD, and still own a home there (never sold it). However, several years ago, I bought a house in WV and became a resident of this wonderful mountainous state. No longer an official resident of MD. So, then, even while still owning a house & land in MD, I cannot bring firearms from WV to my other home in MD? I guess I can't take my firearms back-and-forth as I reside at one home or the other?:shrug:

By my reading of the bill, you could transport back and forth, or elsewhere in Maryland, a banned "assault" or "copycat" firearm if you lawfully owned it as of October 1, 2013. It might be a good idea to carry, with the rifle, copies of the documentation showing that it is a grandfathered gun. But you may not lawfully cross the state line with an "assault" or "copycat" firearm acquired after October 1, 2013.

It would be legal to transport any other long guns or handguns that you lawfully own between your two residences. Since you are going back and forth across state lines, in order to take advantage of the protection offered in a federal law, 18 U.S.C. §926, carry each firearm unloaded, cased, and stored in the most inaccessible part of the vehicle -- in the trunk, if the vehicle has a trunk. Ammo should be backed and stored separately from the firearm.

osterizer

Mar 9, 2013
    The bill does not define "fixed magazine." Presumably it is any magazine that is not a "detachable magazine." The bill does contain a definition of "detachable magazine," on page 11, lines 8-11:

(F) “DETACHABLE MAGAZINE” MEANS AN AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE THAT CAN BE REMOVED READILY FROM A FIREARM WITHOUT REQUIRING DISASSEMBLY OF THE FIREARM ACTION OR WITHOUT THE USE OF A TOOL, INCLUDING A BULLET OR CARTRIDGE.

Seems to suggest a CA bullet button would be ok.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Summary updated

I've continued to make minor tweaks to the OP summary, to reflect insights of various commentators and to elaborate on some of the details of this hodge-podge legislation. Thanks to all who have submitted comments.

D. Dean Johnson

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom