• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nh85

Jul 25, 2023
    Maryland
    Hey all! Question for the experts. Do you tell your family or friends about your conceal carry? Make them aware?

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    My immediate family members know I have a permit but I don’t think they realize I use it.

Part of my on-going process of getting comfortable that it is concealed.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Unless I have a standing relationship with someone where we discuss firearms on a regular basis and I know where they stand, then no. The only person in my family that knows I have a carry permit is my wife and she never asks about it.

When I visit grandma who like to give waist high front bear hugs, I pocket carry a j-frame.

ETA: I assume you’re asking about telling people about your new permit. Like so what’s new with you, oh I finally got my permit. Or do you mean announce every time you see them that you are carrying. The former applies above but never the latter unless asked.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I tell my friends who are of similar mindset. But it's mostly because they want to carry, or already carry, and it is a useful transfer of knowledge. It's not something I generally announce, though.

To family...I carried around my wife for, I guess, a couple weeks without telling her (don't remember exactly...but it seemed like a long time as I don't like keeping secrets). It was a test, really, to see if I was doing it right. I got lucky and she appreciated rather than resented it as she doesn't want me to embarrass her and this allowed her to become comfortable that I concealed it generally well. Although if certain people are around she's been known to ask, discretely, if I was carrying and has been fairly appalled when I respond "of course." I don't win many battles, but I did this one. Mostly.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It’s between me, my wife, a couple of very close friends (who also carry), and my gun dealer. Oh, and a whole lotta people on this forum, now that I think about it.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Hey all! Question for the experts. Do you tell your family or friends about your conceal carry? Make them aware?

My wife is on board CC all the time---Some of close family is aware for sure- I trained them.
    Neighbors-- It's None YA.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    My BIL got his CCW. He came over after he got a new pistol. I spotted his print as soon as he walked in the door. I don't think he's carried around me since or he got better at the conceal part.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I have a group of friends I get together with on a weekly basis. I therefore am well aware of their stance on 2a issues. One day one of the non 2a friendly participants asked if I had gotten my permit. I answered truthfully that I had. He asked aggressively if I was carrying now. I asked him how big his dick is. Awkward silence ensued. I then told him " you keep it in your pants and don't talk about it". He hasn't asked since.

When participating in the aforementioned get togethers, we rotate homes. One of the hosts was ambivalent about 2A, neither for nor against. At one of those meet ups I waited until we were alone. Then I said " I need to apologize to you for bringing a firearm to your house without asking if that was OK. He said "that's ok, its in the car, right? I stood up, held my arms up at shoulder height and did a runway spin. Then I lifted my shirt. He said " so long as you keep it in your pants its OK. Just don't pull it out and start shooting.

I'm fairly certain the reply (which I would have complied with) would have been different if I hadn't sat there armed with he unaware for 4 hours prior to asking. I believe his concern was not for me per se but the response of the other group members that are strongly anti. He wanted to avoid arguments.

There seems to be a belief among non 2a people that lawfully armed citizens are going to suddenly start acting violently. Violent people will be violent. Non violent people do not suddenly change their personality because they are armed.

I believe I have a responsibility to comply with the wishes of people in their own homes. I believe it's none of anybody else's business whether I'm armed or not.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have a group of friends I get together with on a weekly basis. I therefore am well aware of their stance on 2a issues. One day one of the non 2a friendly participants asked if I had gotten my permit. I answered truthfully that I had. He asked aggressively if I was carrying now. I asked him how big his dick is. Awkward silence ensued. I then told him " you keep it in your pants and don't talk about it". He hasn't asked since.

When participating in the aforementioned get togethers, we rotate homes. One of the hosts was ambivalent about 2A, neither for nor against. At one of those meet ups I waited until we were alone. Then I said " I need to apologize to you for bringing a firearm to your house without asking if that was OK. He said "that's ok, its in the car, right? I stood up, held my arms up at shoulder height and did a runway spin. Then I lifted my shirt. He said " so long as you keep it in your pants its OK. Just don't pull it out and start shooting.

I'm fairly certain the reply (which I would have complied with) would have been different if I hadn't sat there armed with he unaware for 4 hours prior to asking. I believe his concern was not for me per se but the response of the other group members that are strongly anti. He wanted to avoid arguments.

There seems to be a belief among non 2a people that lawfully armed citizens are going to suddenly start acting violently. Violent people will be violent. Non violent people do not suddenly change their personality because they are armed.

I believe I have a responsibility to comply with the wishes of people in their own homes. I believe it's none of anybody else's business whether I'm armed or not.
    Yeah, I would have left it in my car. You never know how people will react.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom