• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Remember, the seller sold you surplus ammo, he didn't design it, manufacture it, or hand load it..... goes with the turf of surplus ammo. Throw it in a barrel on the next 4th of July.

Sounds like another reason to buy an 1917, Mauser or Springfield instead of a 98 dollar anchor. :shrug:

An expensive lesson learned. Although I have a couple of friends on Facebook willing to try a couple of boxes, then purchase some of it from me if it works out for them.

And I have since purchased a Yugo Mauser, which works much better than my Mosin-Nagant.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    +1 This

Com Block 54r ammo can work in one Mosin and not so well in another.

Good excuse to buy another Mosin rifle , SVT 40 or even a PSL Dragunov sniper rifle ;)

If I buy another Mosin, at this point, it would be a sporterized version.

I have since purchased a Mauser; a much better experience all around.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have a Mosin that would lock up after shooting a round. This was due to a complete cleaning patch that was crammed into one of the locking recesses in the receiver. The patch was so gunked up with crap that it blended in with the receiver, I found it by digging in the recesses with a dental pic - even with the pic it took some effort to get it out of there!

That patch had probably been there since Kursk.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Clean out the chamber VERY thoroughly. Some cosmo in there will cause the bolt to bind up. Of maybe it just doesn't like that particular ammo, in which the rifle is fine. How much of it did you buy? FWIW my rifles hated Wolf, but UCW and Priv run thru fine.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Clean out the chamber VERY thoroughly. Some cosmo in there will cause the bolt to bind up. Of maybe it just doesn't like that particular ammo, in which the rifle is fine. How much of it did you buy? FWIW my rifles hated Wolf, but UCW and Priv run thru fine.

I was BRILLIANT. I bought 500 rounds.

What a dumb-a$$ I was.

:o

:mad54:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Clean out the chamber VERY thoroughly. Some cosmo in there will cause the bolt to bind up.

^^^ This

The cases on your ammo may be just a hair larger in diameter than the surplus that you've been using ... just enough that some cosmo residue, or even excessive oil, may be cooking it into place. Another possibility is that the casings of the new stuff were treated with a coating that's getting a bit tacky with heat.

Strip the rifle down and clean the chamber with brake cleaner and a bronze brush. See if that helps. You may also want to wipe down a few casings with acetone (or steal your wife's nail polish remover) to see if there's a coating on it that is adding to the problem. You may not be stuck with something you can't use after all.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    You may also want to wipe down a few casings with acetone (or steal your wife's nail polish remover) to see if there's a coating on it that is adding to the problem. You may not be stuck with something you can't use after all.

I think I'll try that; good idea; thanks.

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Is the ammo lacquer coated? Years ago, when I had Mosin's, I had the same problem with lacquer coated ammo. It took a rubber mallet to get the bolt open.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Again, to stress the importance, scrub the chamber. Make sure to get the nooks and crannies also.

I believe a .410 shotgun brush will fit, it's been a while since I had your problem (and can't remember exactly which brush it was).

dr_baer

The cases on your ammo may be just a hair larger in diameter than the surplus that you've been using ... just enough that some cosmo residue, or even excessive oil, may be cooking it into place. Another possibility is that the casings of the new stuff were treated with a coating that's getting a bit tacky with heat.

Strip the rifle down and clean the chamber with brake cleaner and a bronze brush. See if that helps. You may also want to wipe down a few casings with acetone (or steal your wife's nail polish remover) to see if there's a coating on it that is adding to the problem. You may not be stuck with something you can't use after all.

Good idea, I have a Mosin that I need to do that to.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Is the ammo lacquer coated? Years ago, when I had Mosin's, I had the same problem with lacquer coated ammo. It took a rubber mallet to get the bolt open.

I'm not sure, but I stopped at CVS and picked up some nail polish remover and will work over a few boxes tonight and go shooting in the morning. I'll provide an update, either way.

Joshua M. Smith

Hoosier
    Apr 8, 2011
    Wabash IN
    Hello,

Watch this video:

and this video:

Both will exit you to YouTube as I cannot find a way to post vids here. There is no icon. Edit: Figured it out.

If all is well there, take the rifle out with some paper towels. Make the rifle holy; shoot the hell out of it. Go with 10 rounds and swab out the chamber and throat with a rolled up paper towel.

Check for any tearing of the towel or towel particles, discard towel and check chamber.

Load five more, fire, and swab out.

You will get cosmoline bleeding out. Keep going until the paper towel roll is gone!

After you check your bolt against the vids and follow the paper towel procedure, you should be good to go.

I'm thinking about lightly coating a few cartridges with Militec-1. It bonds with steel and gets it really slick. I use it as a backup lube on all my guns: They get Militec-1 and then normal CLP with maintenance doses of the Militec now and again.

My theory is that the Militec-1 should slick up the chamber to such a high degree that I will not be able to discern the difference between having a live round eject and a fired case eject.

Militec is good stuff; just don't use it to the exclusion of CLP or similar. It is an excellent dry lubricant but does not protect against corrosion, nor does it clean any better than a regular light oil might.

If you still cannot get these to shoot, I might be interested in purchasing them. I would just load them with my own powder (Varget or such) or pull the bullets and load them into brass cases.

Regards,

Josh

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom