• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Hey, everyone. I need some advice.

A few months back, I made a bulk purchase of some 762X54R ammo for my Mosin-Nagant from one of our Industry Partners here, and now I've discovered a problem with it.

I was all psyched because it was marked as NON-CORROSIVE ammo, so I thought it won't be as much of a problem as the corrosive stuff. But it turns out it's ABSOLUTE CRAP for my gun -- far worse to shoot that the corrosive ammo.

I've only been able to get through a few 20-round boxes so far because every time I try to fire it, my bolt locks up entirely on me.

The last time I took my Mosin-Nagant out shooting, I went through some other ammo just fine. Then I gave my Mosin a quick cleaning before switching to this other ammo. And I couldn't get through 10 rounds before the bolt locked up. I wrestled with it, on and off, for the next hour-plus before I was finally able to get my bolt to open back up.

:mad54:

I've shot two other kinds of ammo just fine, but this stuff is just UTTER CRAP.

The issue for me now is, what to do with this ammo? I don't have the receipt. I'd like to take it all back to the IP I purchased it from and see if he'll exchange it for some other ammo in another caliber maybe, but I feel dumb for having misplaced or lost my receipt.

:o

But this ammo does me absolutely no good as is.

I suppose I could carefully mix it in with the good stuff, maybe on a 1-to-4 or 1-to-5 ratio, and see how that works.

I'd really rather just get rid of it; its a few hundred rounds that will take me forever to go through otherwise.

One other consideration: I haven't named the IP because he's a highly respected partner here and I'm not trying to criticize him. And it wouldn't be fair to identify him without giving him a chance to work with me on this. But I've done very little actual business with him, so even though he knows I'm a Maryland Shooters member, it's not like I have a long-standing relationship with him -- although I'd like to, and in fact, that's one reason why I made that bulk purchase to begin with.

Any suggestions?

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Well, this isn't the first time I've had an issue with this ammo.

After previous uses and a really good cleaning, I've been able to use the rifle just fine, so I don't think something's happened internally in the rifle.

Any thoughts on how to deal with the ammo?

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville

Attachments

• CRAP ar76254rfmj148.jpg
      CRAP ar76254rfmj148.jpg
      18.6 KB · Views: 363

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    once the spent casing is ejected.. any type of sign? cracked what not?

i know most mosins are hard to open the bolt once fired... few have suggested to bring rubber mallet with you when you shoot mosin. i guess im just lucky that i havent experience a locked bolt on my mosins.. tight..but manage to open them up.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    once the spent casing is ejected.. any type of sign? cracked what not?

i know most mosins are hard to open the bolt once fired... few have suggested to bring rubber mallet with you when you shoot mosin. i guess im just lucky that i havent experience a locked bolt on my mosins.. tight..but manage to open them up.

No visible sign of trouble on the spent casing...

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Question for you...

Since encountering the trouble, have you gone back to shooting any of the trouble-free ammo that you were using before? Or is that all gone?

Sometimes, dirty or burred chambers can cause stuck brass.

Another possibility- brass stretches differently than steel-cased cartridges. It's quite possible that in your particular rifle, this is part of the problem.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    I have a Mosin that would lock up after shooting a round. This was due to a complete cleaning patch that was crammed into one of the locking recesses in the receiver. The patch was so gunked up with crap that it blended in with the receiver, I found it by digging in the recesses with a dental pic - even with the pic it took some effort to get it out of there!

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Question for you...

Since encountering the trouble, have you gone back to shooting any of the trouble-free ammo that you were using before? Or is that all gone?

In previous instances, I've gone back to trouble-free ammo, after a good cleaning, and my rifle fired just fine. I have yet to do that after this latest instance. I might try tomorrow, though.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    I have a Mosin that would lock up after shooting a round. This was due to a complete cleaning patch that was crammed into one of the locking recesses in the receiver. The patch was so gunked up with crap that it blended in with the receiver, I found it by digging in the recesses with a dental pic - even with the pic it took some effort to get it out of there!

Wow! Whodathunk, right?

Glad you were able to discover that before something serious went wrong.

:thumbsup:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Wow! Whodathunk, right?

Glad you were able to discover that before something serious went wrong.

:thumbsup:

Remember, the seller sold you surplus ammo, he didn't design it, manufacture it, or hand load it..... goes with the turf of surplus ammo. Throw it in a barrel on the next 4th of July.

Sounds like another reason to buy an 1917, Mauser or Springfield instead of a 98 dollar anchor. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom