• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Do any other states have this program?

What is the consensus on what it costs per firearm to include a fired shell casing? I would love to stick it to the state over this. I have personally had to pay $30+/- per gun to have a shell case fired for purchases I've made over the last 5 years.

Mfg of firearms that do not include a shell case should be pissed too.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I know of a case that was solved via shell casing. I think the PG county Sargent is stll in jail.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Can the resolution of the case be specifically attributed to the shell case or other info collected?

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    What people don't realize is for a MD Dealer to do the shell casing they need an 07 FFL, BUT most 07's don't realize that they also need to submit for ITAR (US State Department). This costs $2200+ EACH YEAR, even if you DONT export or manufacture anything. You still have to register. Fines for non-compliance, each year can approach 1 MILLION dollars and jail time of 3+ years for each violation.

BATFE is looking at this when they do FFL inspections and they WILL inform the State Department if a 07 is not compliant.

All that to sell handguns that don't have shell casings.

ITAR makes things so much more fun too. You cannot allow any foreign national (anyone not a US Citizen or holder of a valid legal permanent resident alien card) to handle any export controlled item without your direct supervision and permission. You cannot discuss any export controlled item without reporting it to State and you're supposed to get permission to "export" the information you disclose prior to discussing it. You cannot even think of selling an export controlled item to a foreign national (mildot scopes, EoTechs and the like, most Magpul products, magazines, guns.....). The way ITAR is written State can come down on you for even having those items where a foreign national can see them out of their packaging.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Can the resolution of the case be specifically attributed to the shell case or other info collected?

I think so. Police traced shell casings from the crime scenes to the gun of Prince George's County police officer Ray Evans.
    This was In the 1990s...

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Don't forget the revenue they could realize if they recycled the brass they had already collected.

So it is a Double bonus for MD:
    1. Stop spending money on a broken / pointless system.
    2. Realize cash by selling the brass they have to be recycled.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I think so. Police traced shell casings from the crime scenes to the gun of Prince George's County police officer Ray Evans.
    This was In the 1990s...

But I was under the impression that the fired shell casing program started in 2000. So if your case was in the 90's this program didn't help.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    ok so we have discovered the ONE case. maybe.

Maryland has had about 4000 firearms related murders since this was passed. More in 2007, 2008, 2009, many years after this passed. Tell me again how much this actually costs...?? It sounds like the answer is: No idea

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    This program cost MD. 2.5 MILLION dollars from 2000-2005. That's when the MSP themselves asked it be repealed and the same year 3 delegates brought one of the first bills to repeal it.

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    Copy of New York bill repealing shell casings 3 years ago. Used this last week and will this week in testimony if it is of any help.

Bill S459-2011
    Repeals pistol and revolver ballistic identification databank
    Repeals section 396-ff of the general business law relating to the pistol and revolver ballistic identification databank.
    Details
    • Same as:A1131-2011
    • VersionsS459-2011
    • Sponsor:NOZZOLIO
    • Multi-sponsor(s):None
    • Co-sponsor(s):GOLDEN, O'MARA, RITCHIE, SEWARD, ZELDIN
    • Committee:RULES
    • Law Section: General Business Law
    • Law: Rpld §396-ff, Gen Bus L
    Actions
    • Jun 21, 2012: COMMITTED TO RULES
    • Jan 23, 2012: ADVANCED TO THIRD READING
    • Jan 19, 2012: 2ND REPORT CAL.
    • Jan 18, 2012: 1ST REPORT CAL.66
    • Jan 4, 2012: REFERRED TO CONSUMER PROTECTION
    • Jan 4, 2012: returned to senate
    • Jan 4, 2012: died in assembly
    • Jun 13, 2011: referred to codes
    • Jun 13, 2011: DELIVERED TO ASSEMBLY
    • Jun 13, 2011: PASSED SENATE
    • May 23, 2011: ADVANCED TO THIRD READING
    • May 18, 2011: 2ND REPORT CAL.
    • May 17, 2011: 1ST REPORT CAL.754
    • Jan 5, 2011: REFERRED TO CONSUMER PROTECTION
    Votes
    VOTE: COMMITTEE VOTE: - Consumer Protection - May 17, 2011
    Ayes (7):Zeldin, Ball, Fuschillo, Little, Marcellino, O'Mara, Hassell-Thompson
    Ayes W/R (1):Huntley
    Nays (2):Adams, Squadron
    VOTE: FLOOR VOTE: - Jun 13, 2011
    Ayes (38):Adams, Addabbo, Alesi, Ball, Bonacic, Breslin, DeFrancisco, Farley, Flanagan, Fuschillo, Gallivan, Golden, Griffo, Grisanti, Hannon, Johnson, Kennedy, Lanza, Larkin, LaValle, Libous, Little, Marcellino, Martins, Maziarz, McDonald, Nozzolio, O'Mara, Ranzenhofer, Ritchie, Robach, Saland, Sampson, Seward, Skelos, Valesky, Young, Zeldin
    Nays (22):Avella, Carlucci, Diaz, Dilan, Duane, Espaillat, Gianaris, Hassell-Thomps, Klein, Krueger, Montgomery, Oppenheimer, Parker, Peralta, Perkins, Rivera, Savino, Serrano, Smith, Squadron, Stavisky, Stewart-Cousin
    Absent (2):Huntley, Kruger
    VOTE: COMMITTEE VOTE: - Consumer Protection - Jan 18, 2012
    Ayes (7):Zeldin, Ball, Fuschillo, Little, Marcellino, O'Mara, Hassell-Thompson
    Ayes W/R (1):Adams
    Nays (2):Huntley, Squadron
    Memo
    BILL NUMBER:S459

TITLE OF BILL: An act to repeal section 396-ff of the general business law relating to the pistol and revolver ballistic identification databank

PURPOSE OR GENERAL IDEA OF BILL: To discontinue the use of the New York Combined Ballistic Identification System (CoBIS) and to remove the shell casing requirement from state law.

JUSTIFICATION: It is the conclusion of two studies by the California Department of Justice conducted two years ago and a 2004 study conducted by the Maryland State Police that the ballistic database systems in these states are a waste of time, money and manpower. The Maryland report cited the complete failure of the New York Combined Ballistic Identification System (CoBIS) to produce a single "hit" on a gun crime as complete failure of that system. The CoBIS system is costing taxpayers approximately $4 million per year and it is a certainty that the State Police could find a better use for those millions.

PRIOR LEGISLATIVE HISTORY: S.4577 of 2005/2006 S.711 of 2007/2008 S.1152 of 2009/2010

FISCAL IMPLICATIONS: None.

EFFECTIVE DATE: Immediately after having become law.

Text

STATE OF NEW YORK

2011-2012 Regular Sessions

IN SENATE

(PREFILED)

January 5, 2011

Introduced by Sen. NOZZOLIO -- read twice and ordered printed, and when
    printed to be committed to the Committee on Consumer Protection

AN ACT to repeal section 396-ff of the general business law relating to
    the pistol and revolver ballistic identification databank

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEM-
    BLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

Section 1. Section 396-ff of the general business law is REPEALED.
    S 2. This act shall take effect immediately.

EXPLANATION--Matter in ITALICS (underscored) is new; matter in brackets
    [ ] is old law to be omitted.
    LBD00458-01-1

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    OK... Devil's Advocate for a second...

Assuming this is correct, and this program had proven effective, why then would MSP not look to repair the equipment.

I'm thinking there's a tweak in that report somewhere...

So Im trying to understand this.

You have to give Maryland State Police a spent shell casing from a handgun?

What does this do exactly?

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    Has to be part of the purchase process for a new handgun, yes.

Ironically, if it is a private sale, there is no such requirement, even if the original purchaser came from out-of-state.

Are barrels illegal in MD?

This is dumb. What is to stop people from switching barrels rendering the shell casing intrusion useless?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    So Im trying to understand this.

You have to give Maryland State Police a spent shell casing from a handgun?

What does this do exactly?

Impedes the process of exercising our rights, makes it more expensive and make clueless liberal idiots think they did something important. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom