• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Jon's research had him buying the Saker 556 and the Spectre II. He usually does a pretty in depth bit of research.

Yea Rich told me I should shoot him an email yesterday, he got back to me today.
    At least on paper the Omega really seems to be the best mix of the Saker and Specwar... Quieter than both with 556, about a half in longer than saker, half in shorter than Specwar. Lighter than both. Optional muzzle brake. Ablility to shoot 30 Caliber without any real loss when shooting 223...

I have not made up my mind which I will be buying but I am thinking Omega. I am waiting to see some reviews.

I was going to go with the Omega, it's actually cheaper than the Saker at my shop, but it sounds like their marketing was better than the product improvement. I don't care about the break one way or the other, however, I can 't find reliable information on the longterm durability of Ti compared Sterlite(sp?). This is one of my purchases that I don't plan on being able to replace, so I would rather error on the side of durability.

I have not done as much research on the 22 cans. However with the loud FRP of the sparrow, I am thinking Spectre.

I consider the first round to be the most important one, and .22lr pistol suppression more than .22lr rifle suppression.

As you might guess, price here is almost meaningless to me. I am going to buy the best.

I'm willing to pay more for better performance, but if the 5.56 SpecWar is $450 + 200 and the shaker is $800 + $200, it requires that I get a large increase in performance. I think I am going 5.56 SpecWar and 7.62 Saker.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I was going to go with the Omega, it's actually cheaper than the Saker at my shop, but it sounds like their marketing was better than the product improvement. ....I can 't find reliable information on the longterm durability of Ti compared Sterlite(sp?). This is one of my purchases that I don't plan on being able to replace, so I would rather error on the side of durability. ....I'm willing to pay more for better performance, but if the 5.56 SpecWar is $450 + 200 and the shaker is $800 + $200, it requires that I get a large increase in performance. I think I am going 5.56 SpecWar and 7.62 Saker.

Yeah I am probably going to skip the Omega now. For me, Jon has already bought into the Saker package. So it makes sense for me to keep the same unless there is a good reason to change. Considering all the 223 I am going to shoot is supersonic anyway, I am thinking the little bit louder the Saker is is ok with me. I would rather have the smaller lighter can. Now when I do think about FA, I wonder how much difference the gas coming back in your face would be? If it was less with the SpecWar, I would go with it. However I think I am going to go with the Saker. Frankly the $350 is not a consideration for me. They are probably getting cheap because they will discontinue the product. With the Omega out, whats the point? That all said the SpecWar is +1.5oz, +0.55" and -2db. So at least on paper the cans seem pretty comparable. So I will probably just go with what Jon got. However I think I will put some rounds through Jon's suppressors first and see what I like or don't.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Yeah I am probably going to skip the Omega now. For me, Jon has already bought into the Saker package. So it makes sense for me to keep the same unless there is a good reason to change. Considering all the 223 I am going to shoot is supersonic anyway, I am thinking the little bit louder the Saker is is ok with me. I would rather have the smaller lighter can. Now when I do think about FA, I wonder how much difference the gas coming back in your face would be? If it was less with the SpecWar, I would go with it. However I think I am going to go with the Saker. Frankly the $350 is not a consideration for me. They are probably getting cheap because they will discontinue the product. With the Omega out, whats the point? That all said the SpecWar is +1.5oz, +0.55" and -2db. So at least on paper the cans seem pretty comparable. So I will probably just go with what Jon got. However I think I will put some rounds through Jon's suppressors first and see what I like or don't.

I think they just came out with K versions so I don't think they are discontinuing it. There has always been a large price difference. A silencerco rep on ar15.com said (last post):

"The Saker and Specwar baffles do use the same alloy however that is where the similarities end. The Saker uses our Hoplon blast baffle design that helps minimize erosion. The Saker performs really well in short barrel and FA applications. The MADD mount design, aesthetics of the out side of the can, Hoplon baffle design, included tools, and removable end cap all make the Saker a more expensive can for us to produce. The Specwar is an awesome, rugged, quiet can that will work well for most users. The Saker is more geared to offer better longevity in harsh firing situations and adapt to the users mounting preferences. It is also somewhat future proof as other mounting options may come on the market."

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/395242_Saker_vs_Specwar.html

Another thing I read that I hadn't considered, is that although larger caliber cans have larger outside volume, some of that is lost from the larger hole taking up some of the baffle area.

Last edited:

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    SilencerCo needs to start making thread pitches for all the various thread pitches out there. It would put Gemtech out of business overnight. That was the main reason I got the Quicksand a couple years ago, as they offered every thread pitch known to man. And no, thread adapters suck for rifles.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    That may have been me. lol! I was just telling someone of my 2000 rds without cleaning in my Sparrow at 2A Sales last week. I had to go 9 rounds of "the dip" to clean it.

That was me. Or is there yet another member here torturing thier Sparrow.

what is the form 4 trust turn around right now, too lazy to look, blaming that on you guys though!

They seem to be about 3 1/2 months right now.

I preordered a spectreii from Duffy's today. I'm mainly going to use it for pistols. I'm not planning on running 2000rds through before I clean it.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ...The Saker performs really well in short barrel and FA applications. The MADD mount design, aesthetics of the out side of the can, Hoplon baffle design, included tools, and removable end cap all make the Saker a more expensive can for us to produce. .... The Saker is more geared to offer better longevity in harsh firing situations...

Well... I think FA with a belt fed Shrike with 12" barrel would qualify as "harsh firing situation"... So I guess the Saker is for me.

Alderleet

Always, Sometimes.
    Sep 25, 2013
    AA
    If MAAD mount is so awesome, why didn't they go with it for their new can?

Because most people dont need the features of the MAAD mount.

Its original intention was as an adapter for hidden muzzles.

Example, SBR with extended handguard. You wont have access to the muzzle, but you dont need it with the MAAD mount, since you twist the can instead of the lock shoulder at the base.

Most people dont end up doing that, because they dont think to, or because they dont have that option.

Ergo, its really only for a niche market. However, the ASR is basically AAC's design, but exponentially less crappy with lockup wobble.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    2000 rds does not take long. You might spend more time cleaning though. I don't want to find out with the Spectre.
    Also, the saker 7.62 with a 5.56 end cap does better than the saker 5.56. Great choices!

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    More volume. Penalty is length and weight, which combine to form the third penalty of more difficulty maneuvering the firearm.

Yeah thats kind of what I am thinking. I think the Saker 556 is probably where I want to be even with extremely high rate of fire. Thats about the only reason I am still thinking about the Omega or Saker 7.62. With a belt fed 223... the extra volume might be nice. I need to try some out to decide more.

It does remind me of using a Pistol can (9mm) on a 9mm SMG. Yeah it can handle single shots fine but does not have the volume to handle the rate of fire.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Yeah thats kind of what I am thinking. I think the Saker 556 is probably where I want to be even with extremely high rate of fire. Thats about the only reason I am still thinking about the Omega or Saker 7.62. With a belt fed 223... the extra volume might be nice. I need to try some out to decide more.

It does remind me of using a Pistol can (9mm) on a 9mm SMG. Yeah it can handle single shots fine but does not have the volume to handle the rate of fire.

http://www.surefire.com/socom556-mg-1.html
    http://www.surefire.com/socom762-mg.html

The above are designed for belt-fed machine guns. If you shop at Engage, I know for a fact they have a SOCOM 5.56 MG suppressor in stock.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    You know what I found weird from a first hand experience. That when using a Bowers CAC9 on my Cobray M11 SMG, while it suppressed very well, the gas blow back was almost intolerable. At the point where I had to wear goggles to keep from stinging pain on my eye balls, not exaggerating. Then, just for sh!ts and giggles I used my Osprey 45 and voila! Much less gas blow back. The sound suppression is not as good as the CAC9, but not too far off and the benefit of being able to shoot it without goggles outweighs the slight dB increase by far. Subsonics especially!

I guess what I'm trying to get at, is that you never know until you try different things. The internet is full of arm chair nancies with facts pulled from thin air.

I now almost exclusively shoot my M11 with my Osprey 45 because of this. However, I still use the CAC9 on the MP5 and vz61 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom