• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The last couple weeks I put 3000rnds of gemtech 22 subsonics through my sparrow without cleaning, used on both rifles and pistols. Yeah, it was bad! However, after a couple love taps, the tube popped out and I was able to start cleaning. That's not recommended to go that long without cleaning a 22 suppressor, but that just shows you how the Sparrow is king when it comes to cleanability. The clam shells surrounding the monocore were the WORST!!! That alone took me nearly an hour to scrape off. It's scary how much molten lead a 22 round produces.

I think I was talking to you about this. Last week in 2A Sales.

It has me pretty much sold on the Sparrow.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    You realize that the Sparrow is also SS and full auto rated, and rated for 22WMR and 5.7, right? And the Sparrow is quieter, lighter, and shorter.

http://www.silencerco.com/products/sparrow-22/

Ignoring the additional cost, the Sparrow is the suppressor to beat. That's just an objective assessment.

What? The Spectre II is every bit as quiet. It certainty has less FRP.

It's rated for the same calibers. It's considerably cheaper. You can tumble it which I'm not even sure is possible with the sparrow.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!

No problem, glad to help. There are many monocore 22 suppressors on the market now, but only a couple with the clam shell design. I think Tactical Solutions produces a near copy of the Sparrow. How they got around SilencerCo's patents is beyond me.

With all that being said, SilencerCo's customer service is second to none. They pay for shipping both ways, and even fix stupid... once.

The K baffle designs such as the Spectre, Warlock, and other companies will always beat out a monocore design. The K baffles have the best performance, as far as sound suppression and very little FRP. But, they're a BITCH to clean for 22 suppressors. The molten lead builds up in the inner cavities and unless you clean it after EVERY use, you will be hating life.

In today's suppressor market, I always recommend new 22 suppressor owners to get the Sparrow first, and then get another 22 suppressor afterwards for special purpose needs (i.e. ultra light). I'm currently at that point, where the Sparrow has worked wonderfully for me for many thousands of rounds, but now I'm looking for something super small and super light, with overall sound suppression not the top priority. I've been shooting my Mossad assassin pistol, the Beretta Model 71 for the last month and need a 22 suppressor with those characteristics, but that's a specialty need and not something a first time buyer should consider.

Basically start with the best, and if you got the extra cash, then fill in the gaps where necessary.

Sight picture is crap with the Sparrow on the Model 71.
    IMAG00018.jpg

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I was able to get them to match another gun store so I'm getting a SpecWar 5.56 for $450 and Spectre for $300 plus tax and NFA tax.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I was able to get them to match another gun store so I'm getting a SpecWar 5.56 for $450 and Spectre for $300 plus tax and NFA tax.

Jon's research had him buying the Saker 556 and the Spectre II. He usually does a pretty in depth bit of research.

At least on paper the Omega really seems to be the best mix of the Saker and Specwar... Quieter than both with 556, about a half in longer than saker, half in shorter than Specwar. Lighter than both. Optional muzzle brake. Ablility to shoot 30 Caliber without any real loss when shooting 223...

I have not made up my mind which I will be buying but I am thinking Omega. I am waiting to see some reviews.

I have not done as much research on the 22 cans. However with the loud FRP of the sparrow, I am thinking Spectre.

As you might guess, price here is almost meaningless to me. I am going to buy the best.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Jon's research had him buying the Saker 556 and the Spectre II. He usually does a pretty in depth bit of research.

At least on paper the Omega really seems to be the best mix of the Saker and Specwar... Quieter than both with 556, about a half in longer than saker, half in shorter than Specwar. Lighter than both. Optional muzzle brake. Ablility to shoot 30 Caliber without any real loss when shooting 223...

I have not made up my mind which I will be buying but I am thinking Omega. I am waiting to see some reviews.

I have not done as much research on the 22 cans. However with the loud FRP of the sparrow, I am thinking Spectre.

As you might guess, price here is almost meaningless to me. I am going to buy the best.

dB figures on the Omega are with the brake - per SCO, removing the brake increases dB as measured by approximately 3dB. Beyond that, with the QD equipment it's not much shorter than any other 30cal can and the added 3 or 4oz gets it nearly to 20oz total... the Omega was marketed well, but it falls apart under scrutiny IMO.

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    I put my order in for an Omega can. I thought it would be a good multi-caliber can as I can use it for 5.56, .300, and my.270 if desired. My first can too.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    dB figures on the Omega are with the brake - per SCO, removing the brake increases dB as measured by approximately 3dB. Beyond that, with the QD equipment it's not much shorter than any other 30cal can and the added 3 or 4oz gets it nearly to 20oz total... the Omega was marketed well, but it falls apart under scrutiny IMO.

This is the kind of stuff I am hearing.

Why would the brake drop that much off the dB? Seems like a lot for a brake.

I see what you mean on the OAL. Yeah thats a lot of sh@t. I hate when they play games like that. Especially between their own cans...

I will probably end up with a Saker.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    I have the Saker 7.62, Tirant 45, SpectreII and Sparrow.
    Id get the Saker 7.62 as you can always get the 5.56 end cap for it. I like the Saker over the other options because of the mount and end cap features.
    as for the .22 cans. the sparrow does well, and it can be cleaned with ease. the SpectreII is better on handguns, but it is a pain to clean. for rifles: Sparrow, for handguns: Spectre II.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    This is the kind of stuff I am hearing.

Why would the brake drop that much off the dB? Seems like a lot for a brake.

I see what you mean on the OAL. Yeah thats a lot of sh@t. I hate when they play games like that. Especially between their own cans...

I will probably end up with a Saker.

If I hadn't decided to get a dedicated 5.56 can, I'd have gotten the SpecWar 7.62 personally...but it's SO heavy.

I'm not sure why the brake drops that many dB, but it might be an artifact of measurement such that the measurement methodology is somewhat flawed. Removing the brake lessens OAL, but yeah you add quite a bit of length with the QD module. When they originally launched the can around SHOT it seemed too good to be true - as quiet or quieter than a SpecWar 7.62 shooting subcal, lighter, and shorter. It may or may not be all of those depending on your configuration.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    No problem, glad to help. There are many monocore 22 suppressors on the market now, but only a couple with the clam shell design. I think Tactical Solutions produces a near copy of the Sparrow. How they got around SilencerCo's patents is beyond me.

With all that being said, SilencerCo's customer service is second to none. They pay for shipping both ways, and even fix stupid... once.

The K baffle designs such as the Spectre, Warlock, and other companies will always beat out a monocore design. The K baffles have the best performance, as far as sound suppression and very little FRP. But, they're a BITCH to clean for 22 suppressors. The molten lead builds up in the inner cavities and unless you clean it after EVERY use, you will be hating life.

In today's suppressor market, I always recommend new 22 suppressor owners to get the Sparrow first, and then get another 22 suppressor afterwards for special purpose needs (i.e. ultra light). I'm currently at that point, where the Sparrow has worked wonderfully for me for many thousands of rounds, but now I'm looking for something super small and super light, with overall sound suppression not the top priority. I've been shooting my Mossad assassin pistol, the Beretta Model 71 for the last month and need a 22 suppressor with those characteristics, but that's a specialty need and not something a first time buyer should consider.

Basically start with the best, and if you got the extra cash, then fill in the gaps where necessary.

Sight picture is crap with the Sparrow on the Model 71.
    View attachment 146214

I have the same setup! I like to run my Spetre II for the sight issue. Plus I found that a bit of paint on the front sight works wonders. this is one of my favorite pistols to shoot suppressed.
    IMG_21091_zps3d3c3df8.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn

That may have been me. lol! I was just telling someone of my 2000 rds without cleaning in my Sparrow at 2A Sales last week. I had to go 9 rounds of "the dip" to clean it.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    That may have been me. lol! I was just telling someone of my 2000 rds without cleaning in my Sparrow at 2A Sales last week. I had to go 9 rounds of "the dip" to clean it.

LOL! There's too many of us... run!

I talk to so many people at the shops around MD that it's hard to keep track. Anyway, I think I saw your setup on this forum a month ago and just had to get one myself. It's a cool little pistol! Thanks for the idea. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom