• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    So we didn't get much this year, and I would presume that most of what was proposed this year will be proposed again next year. One of the things that really gets me is the difference between Federal and State law and how easy it is to get in trouble without even knowing. As the general public, we aren't lawyers and some times it's really hard to make sense of all the dos and don'ts of firearms transfers.

In the FSA 2013 they made an exception to the HQL for C&R transfers. How about makeing a proposal that would bring intrastate transfers of C&R items to holders of a FFL03 the same as interstate transfers. As it stands now, MD gun stores are loosing revenue on C&R transfers they aren't doing, since it is easier to buy out of state than in state. Likewise (not that I really care) the state is loosing out on sales tax revenue on out of state transactions that might otherwise be done in state if the same rules applied.

Before I send this request to my local deligate I'd like feedback here.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No actually the FSA would potentally bring a major increase of C&R business to savy FFL's. If they would stock them on purpose they could recieve a buncha business from non C&R holders who either don't have, or refuse to get HQLs.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Open this can of worms at your own risk.. enough said. Trust me there are threads that should not be pulled. I do not have s c&r so its not for myself I am concerned.

If you think this is just fear mongering... go ahead.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Personally I'd leave this be. I can see this quickly being turned around and them requiring HQLs for C&Rs.
    I agree with Bigfoot. If some FFLs stocked C&R stuff it would be nice to go look before buying instead of luck of the draw ordering from suppliers.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    This State would happily forego all sales tax revenue if it meant getting rid of all guns.

I would wish for everyone to shut up if it weren't considered rude. So I won't wish for it.

I learned a long time ago that there isn't a problem until there's a problem.

Many on here are intent on creating a problem before there's a problem.

Quit poking the nest.

PS: And what bigfoot said. There are some mighty fine C&R pieces out there that could augment Dealer FFL sales. The only problem is that dealers would be buying blind also and could not guarantee quality.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I agree with everyone except the OP.

OP, please remember the First Rule of Fight Club.

Honestly, "they" do not want more sales tax revenue. They want to eliminate private ownership of guns.

I've said before that smart dealers will stock some C&Rs for potential customers who lack the HQL. I envision a woman who faces a threat from a stalker or abusive former boyfriend, who is considering buying a handgun, but finds the HQL to be a serious barrier (which it is intended to be). She might be well served by a CZ 82, a P1, a Beretta 1951, or an older Hi Power. Perhaps a well-preserved S&W M&P.

The problem is these are all old used guns, which would need to be carefully inspected before sale, yet could still not be guaranteed by the dealer. It's not unusual for these old guns to have problems. Would that woman I mentioned really be well-served by buying one, except as an emergency stop-gap? Would it be worth the dealer's while?

But for the OP, let those sleeping dogs lie. Remember Fight Club.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    The C&R exemption from HQL was a hard fought win in FSA2013 for collectors' benefit.

C&R license holders in MD are satisfied with the purchase/delivery system as it stands.

I went to Annapolis many times this year and gave them plenty of options as to how to increase revenue (HQL as pathway to carry permit, go "shall issue",..) that would have netted them double digit millions. They are NOT interested in increasing guns sales or letting people exercise their 2nd amendment rights, even if it means more money for them. Believe me. But this proposal will be hard fought AGAINST next session by folks here. This would only impede sales for C&R holders, jeopardize the HQL exemption and give the MDGA more money in their coffers to piss away. C&R holders have federal licenses and Maryland stays out of it, as they should.

Let this go, please.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    My license is a federal license that allows me to purchase interstate without the state getting in my business. It needs to stay that way.

I jumped through the hoops, had my background check and I pay an extremely reasonable amount of money to excercise my rights as if i actually live in the USA. Involve Md in the equation in any way and I will lose my rights along with my mind.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    The C&R exemption from HQL was a hard fought win in FSA2013 for collectors' benefit.

C&R license holders in MD are satisfied with the purchase/delivery system as it stands.

I went to Annapolis many times this year and gave them plenty of options as to how to increase revenue (HQL as pathway to carry permit, go "shall issue",..) that would have netted them double digit millions. They are NOT interested in increasing guns sales or letting people exercise their 2nd amendment rights, even if it means more money for them. Believe me. But this proposal will be hard fought AGAINST next session by folks here. This would only impede sales for C&R holders, jeopardize the HQL exemption and give the MDGA more money in their coffers to piss away. C&R holders have federal licenses and Maryland stays out of it, as they should.

Let this go, please.

THIS ^^^.

I know the person very well that is primarily responsible for the wording and the implementation of this C&R handgun HQL exemption, he's my attorney. We need to let this die due to the fact that once the anti 2A crowd discovers that we can purchase neato handguns that for the most part, shoot the same calibers (ammo) and a lot of them look jus' like some of the "new" handguns, those friggin' flaming assed anti 2A libtard bastards will try their best to eliminate this now current exemption.

Let it die.

Claybreaker 2

Aug 25, 2013
    Frederick County
    I agree with everyone except the OP.

OP, please remember the First Rule of Fight Club.

Honestly, "they" do not want more sales tax revenue. They want to eliminate private ownership of guns.

I've said before that smart dealers will stock some C&Rs for potential customers who lack the HQL. I envision a woman who faces a threat from a stalker or abusive former boyfriend, who is considering buying a handgun, but finds the HQL to be a serious barrier (which it is intended to be). She might be well served by a CZ 82, a P1, a Beretta 1951, or an older Hi Power. Perhaps a well-preserved S&W M&P.

The problem is these are all old used guns, which would need to be carefully inspected before sale, yet could still not be guaranteed by the dealer. It's not unusual for these old guns to have problems. Would that woman I mentioned really be well-served by buying one, except as an emergency stop-gap? Would it be worth the dealer's while?

But for the OP, let those sleeping dogs lie. Remember Fight Club.

Let this go, please.

If money was their objective, rather that gun ownership restriction/elimination, SNI is absolutely correct that even a reasonable CC/W&C license fee under shall issue would have netted them many many times what they projected for HQL fees. Bringing C&R to their attention will not receive a reasoned review of how it could benefit the state but rather another knee-jerk attempt to further restrict our rights.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back at #13 , Most S&W afficianados would consider a M10-4 ( or early M10-5 as they are just now becoming of age ) to be more dependable/ desirable than current production MIM internal , floating firing pin , key lock equiped guns . Likewise Chief Specials , Highway Patrolman , and M19's of suitable vintage still reasonably available. All of which are first class guns in their own right , and not "last ditch stop gaps"..

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    She's not an aficionado. She knows nothing about guns. She just knows her ex- boyfriend is planning to pour gasoline on her and set her on fire. (Remember that case?)

I just meant any 50 year old used gun needs to be checked over thoroughly before selection as a primary defense gun. A lot of the worn-out old surplus pistols being sold by SOG, Wideners, and others have functioning problems. Old revolvers should be inspected for timing problems, sprung cranes, and other subtle issues by a knowledgeable person.

Who's going to do that? The dealer? Is he going to certify it for defensive use? In the situation I envisioned, the woman is not a gun person. She's never fired a gun and knows nothing about them.

Perhaps she should get that old S&W, if her situation is that desperate, but she'll still have to wait 8 days, and by then, she could be halfway to the HQL and getting something with a factory warranty.

Frankly, the hypothetical woman I mentioned, in immediate fear for her life, should just do what the criminals do. Survival has its imperatives.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Likewise (not that I really care) the state is loosing out on sales tax revenue on out of state transactions that might otherwise be done in state if the same rules applied.

The state is not losing any sales tax revenue. If you buy a C&R handgun out of state, you are still obligated to pay Maryland state sales tax. If you don't, you are committing a crime. :ohnoes:

http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Individual_Taxes/Individual_Tax_Types/Sales_and_Use_Tax/default.shtml
    Every time you purchase taxable tangible goods from businesses outside of Maryland, whether in person, over the phone, or on the Internet, the purchase is subject to Maryland's 6 percent use tax or 9 percent alcoholic beverage tax if you use the merchandise in Maryland.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    The state is not losing any sales tax revenue. If you buy a C&R handgun out of state, you are still obligated to pay Maryland state sales tax. If you don't, you are committing a crime. :ohnoes:

http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Individual_Taxes/Individual_Tax_Types/Sales_and_Use_Tax/default.shtml

This ^^^ is what I've been telling people for the longest time though I've given up about 1.5 years ago.

Thanks for posting this as it demonstrates my integrity and presents the truth.

Perhaps this (the link) should be posted in the WC as a thread.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    She's not an aficionado. She knows nothing about guns. She just knows her ex- boyfriend is planning to pour gasoline on her and set her on fire. (Remember that case?)

I just meant any 50 year old used gun needs to be checked over thoroughly before selection as a primary defense gun. A lot of the worn-out old surplus pistols being sold by SOG, Wideners, and others have functioning problems. Old revolvers should be inspected for timing problems, sprung cranes, and other subtle issues by a knowledgeable person.

Who's going to do that? The dealer? Is he going to certify it for defensive use? In the situation I envisioned, the woman is not a gun person. She's never fired a gun and knows nothing about them.

Perhaps she should get that old S&W, if her situation is that desperate, but she'll still have to wait 8 days, and by then, she could be halfway to the HQL and getting something with a factory warranty.

Frankly, the hypothetical woman I mentioned, in immediate fear for her life, should just do what the criminals do. Survival has its imperatives.

I would say a 50 year old used gun now provides more immediate protection than a new gun two months from now after she jumps thru all the hoops and spends $100+ for a HQL. In addition the cost of the HQL added to the cost of the new gun may make protection too expensive if she has to scrape to even afford used. A gun in the hand is worth a lot more than one in the display case.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    As others have indicated, the tax revenue argument is worthless. They want to end firearm ownership, and they can just raise taxes when they need money.

Until they are made to realize that we are not atm machines, they don't care about gun money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom