So...looks like I may be moving back to WV...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Best of luck to you! Moving to America.:thumbsup:

Lol West Virginia is not America. I don't know why Marylanders admire West Virginia as if it's a place to aspire to live. It's Basically white ghetto in the rural parts. I know a lady who grew up and spent most of her adult life Baltimore and was never robbed until she moved out there. Her house has burglarized wayyyy more times then when she was living in the city. People are struggling bad in WV. The drug problem is horrific. Schools are garbage. But the university of West Virginia parties on like nothing is wrong.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Respect for the Constitution, lower taxes, lower cost of living, lower crime/murder rate - sorry, knowing one person with shitty luck doesn't change the facts - horrific drug problem? Is it like MD's heroin epidemic? garbage school? Ever heard of a city called Baltimore?

And it's West Virginia University.

You're a fool. Get lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Lol West Virginia is not America. I don't know why Marylanders admire West Virginia as if it's a place to aspire to live. It's Basically white ghetto in the rural parts. I know a lady who grew up and spent most of her adult life Baltimore and was never robbed until she moved out there. Her house has burglarized wayyyy more times then when she was living in the city. People are struggling bad in WV. The drug problem is horrific. Schools are garbage. But the university of West Virginia parties on like nothing is wrong.
    The crime rate is lower in WV (3.0) than it is in Maryland (4.74). The national median is 3.8, so WV is below and MD is above.

I now live in a rural part of VA. People may be poor here (and some very rich) but the way that everyone treats each other is very different than MD. It is far more civilized here. People are polite.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

Sounds like you're describing Maryland besides the economic depression part.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country

What!!?

One anecdotal story paints the whole State huh?

I was born and raised in WV. Have family there, a home there, land there. I have never been robbed, burglarized, car-jacked or any other thing there. Sure there is crime there like in any other State, but well below average. Neighbors know each other, look out for each other and would give the shirt off their back if another neighbor needed it. We may not take well to strangers at first, but once the person has shown themselves to be upstanding and trustworthy they are accepted with open arms.
    Yes, there is a lot of poverty in WV, but it isn't the ghetto by any measure. The people are polite and self-sufficient and few leach off the system.
    I don't know where you heard the drug problem is horrific, but it is a down right lie.
    It is no worse than any other State and less than most of the more well to do States.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    I secured my Uhaul, city permit to park my Uhaul in front of my house, and my Two Marines movers today. Countdown is on! Last day at work is Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It looks like it getting real at this point. I hope you enjoy your new home and job. Think of us often while you're in America.

Jim Smith

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I'm through Elkins all the time... Will be there tomorrow in fact, hit me up!

As for your CHL, it has to have a live fire. Your easiest bet is to find an NRA Basic Pistol course.

What in God's name brought you to Barbour County? :D I'm through there every week to two weeks.

I forgot to reply to this but our daughter found us a home on Craig's list that I bought with the equity in our house. I retired from JHH. Now to say something about WV. During our first move the previous owners cooked us up a ton of food. The Attorney who's closed on our house (on our second move 120 boxes that had to be moved from our house so we could show our place) invited us over to his house for Thanksgiving dinner. He knew we would not be able to prepare it yet. He wanted to intrioduce us to members of the community. They also belong to a Bluegrass band and asked me if I wanted to join them. Everyone I have met here from contractors I have. hired to people I have met grocery clerks are reminiscent of how people one the 70's treated one another. I have nothing bad to say about this and after 12years of working in Baltimore you can have that place. It always reminded me of people who hated their job and hated you for having to wait on you. That's why I shopped in Westminster.
    Oh, and did I say the Barbour democrat talks about God in the paper? Try and find that in the Baltimore Sun.

Last edited:

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    I forgot to reply to this but our daughter found us a home on Craig's list that I bought with the equity in our house. I retired from JHH. Now to say something about WV. During our first move the previous owners cooked us up a ton of food. The Attorney who's closed on our house (on our second move 120 boxes that had to be moved from our house so we could show our place) invited us over to his house for Thanksgiving dinner. He knew we would not be able to prepare it yet. He wanted to intrioduce us to members of the community. They also belong to a Bluegrass band and asked me if I wanted to join them. Everyone I have met here from contractors I have. hired to people I have met grocery clerks are reminiscent of how people one the 70's treated one another. I have nothing bad to say about this and after 12years of working in Baltimore you can have that place. It always reminded me of people who hated their job and hated you for having to wait on you. That's why I shopped in Westminster.
    Oh, and did I say the Barbour democrat talks about God in the paper? Try and find that in the Baltimore Sun.

And this is exactly why i'm looking forward to moving home. People are just so much nicer. Drivers are more considerate. People hold the door open for you and say please and thank you. I could go on and on.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Yeah, I've actually been stuck twice, but the one time I kept it out of the ditch, was after all the rain on top of the snow last week. Thankfully no damage. And yes the river is way up, not as bad here in Elkins as Buchannon or Phillipi though.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Yeah, I've actually been stuck twice, but the one time I kept it out of the ditch, was after all the rain on top of the snow last week. Thankfully no damage. And yes the river is way up, not as bad here in Elkins as Buchannon or Phillipi though.

We had 13 inches of snow fall Wednesday night through 8pm on Thursday down in Braxton County. Glad I didn't have to drive anywhere. By Sunday it was melting off pretty good. The Elk River was up pretty high.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    We had 13 inches of snow fall Wednesday night through 8pm on Thursday down in Braxton County. Glad I didn't have to drive anywhere. By Sunday it was melting off pretty good. The Elk River was up pretty high.

I saw some pretty gnarly videos of Cheat Lake in Morgantown flowing like a river last week. It tore out a boat load of docks and dock floats. It was a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom