So DC gets constitutional carry, but not Md ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I'm still trying to wrap my mind around Maryland's stance that carrying $ to a bank is a "good and substantial reason," while accompanying my spouse in crime ridden PG Co. doesn't cut the mustard.

Maybe it's me - I can't get that "equal protection" thingy out of my mind.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I'm still trying to wrap my mind around Maryland's stance that carrying $ to a bank is a "good and substantial reason," while accompanying my spouse in crime ridden PG Co. doesn't cut the mustard.

Maybe it's me - I can't get that "equal protection" thingy out of my mind.

I hearya... I tell folks regularly that MD will grant a permit "...for things they consider more valuable than your life."

I like how Judge Scullin invoked both 5A and 14A protections in the decision. We've been looking for something like this for some time.

Fingers crossed BIGtime. I just hope everyoner keeps their head about them.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    DC may be in for a similar screwing depending on the panel

Hard to believe, MD will probably be the LAST State or territory to become ( shall issue ) kicking and screaming all the way there.

Oh, you're quite wrong about that.

Maryland will never become shall-issue.

Kicking, screaming, yes, and then in the end, they will just ignore the law and say "so sue us" over and over. They have AG and staff of lawyers who can and will lose every case involving carry that is brought before a court... All paid for and funded by you guys who still live there. And when the case is found in favor of the plaintiff, then that plaintiff will get a CCW license.

Do you you really think everyone is going to go to the trouble of of spending multiple tens of thousands of dollars and years in court waiting for a permit?

Of course not.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Someone made a funny post on Emily' Miller's facebook post about the 5:30 news (Monday)

"New law-to obtain a carry permit in DC you must have been already killed to show good and substantial reason"

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Kicking, screaming, yes, and then in the end, they will just ignore the law and say "so sue us" over and over. They have AG and staff of lawyers who can and will lose every case involving carry that is brought before a court... All paid for and funded by you guys who still live there. And when the case is found in favor of the plaintiff, then that plaintiff will get a CCW license.

Do you you really think everyone is going to go to the trouble of of spending multiple tens of thousands of dollars and years in court waiting for a permit?

Of course not.

I would have thought that Chicago would have done the same. Perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also, I would NOT carry in any federal building

Federal buildings, it is illegal to have a firearm. So if you work on one, you cannot carry to work, then put the firearm in your briefcase. Still not legal.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My biggest concern is that there is so much Federal property in DC. I don't know which buildings are owned by the Federal government. If the Federal government has just one office in a building, is it a government building? I know that I cannot carry in a post office. For me, there are too many unknowns for me to try it.

No, in that case only the office or floors that the Feds occupy are Federal space.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Of course not.

Unless they get a decision like this one that allows carry WITHOUT a permit, and court approval of any laws they want to try to come up with.

They would have to go to shall issue, or they will be like Vermont and now DC, no permit required.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Of course not.

You could have sad the same thing about a dozen states no more than 20 years ago, now look where we are.

True, MD was able to pass their AWB, but the public in general has come to see assault weapons and handguns as 2 distinct issues. John Q. Public can rationally invision their daughter fighting off a rapist with a concealed carry pistol, not so much with an AR.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I hearya... I tell folks regularly that MD will grant a permit "...for things they consider more valuable than your life."

Which I just LOVE, because you cannot use deadly force in the protection of property (except in Texas).

So why give permits to people who have property to protect??????

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD

Of course not.
    If Illinois fell, so will MD. Then it will be HI,CA,NJ and NY. The writing is on the wall, its over for the anti's they are on borrowed time and they know it

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    For the experts:
    1) are there ANY states where an increased number of CC licenses showed a long-term increase in prosecuted homicides?

2) is there any long-term data on the instances of self defense shootings on states that institute shall issue? What I'm getting at here is I would obviously expect reports of SD shootings to spike for a few years after Shall Issue. But what about 5-10 years? Has there been a decrease in justified SD shootings due to an increased awareness by criminals that they could be shot?

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    HI, and CA already fell. :)

NJ, NY, and MD may never fall unless it is done at the State level. The Fed see's MD's law as regulating CC, not banning it.... G&S is what is keeping most from getting a CC in MD. With that said, what can be done in Annapolis in 2015? Who will be the next Mike? Not trying to go off topic, but what is the next step for MD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom