• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    oh, and an AK is a good thing to have, but if you can swing it get yourself a vz-58 instead. It does literally everything the AK does, only better and lighter.

That said, don't believe the hype about AKs being inaccurate. I have a WASR-10 that shoots AMAZINGLY tight groups as long as I do my part, and WASRs are not known for being the cream of the crop. A good AK zeroed correctly with an optic of any sort will punch out groups of about 1.8-2.2 MOA as long as you do everything right. People get hung up on having a rifle that shoots sub MOA groups, but I'm here to tell you, out to 250 meters, nothing the size of a softball or larger is safe from a good AK. The VZ-58 is even more accurate, and in ANY platform the 7.62x39 packs a punch. Think of it this way, the 5.56 is an intermediate cartridge and no mistake, but the 7.62x39 is ballistically identical to some FULL POWER RIFLE CARTRIDGES- I've seen it blow off entire limbs from feral hogs before. No aresenal is complete without at least one 7.62x39 rifle. The SKS is good if you have nothing else, but strangely enough I've actually gotten BETTER accuracy out of my AKs than I have out of my SKSs for the most part- except for one chinese type 56 I have that literally shoots sub MOA. Anyways- get a commie gun, they're great, dependable partners that will serve you the the gates of hell.

Goblin too much Chiba.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    Definitely an AR.
    AK because cheaper European ammo will be easier to get than 556.
    Large capacity magazines for any rifle or handgun you own or will own.
    Only get a shotgun if you have everything else because even Biden won't ban them.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    He mentioned the ban. I got that. He asked what he should buy.
    I wasn't suggesting they're gonna ban any of that because the sharpshooters on here will get into the various configurations that might be banned... I'll stick with my list. I did fail to add Ruger 10-22 and S&W Model 19 Combat....maybe an AK or SKS (I'm not a fan but they have a loyal following). A thousand pardons.
    First gun a 1911... Yesterday, today and tomorrow.
    FN ban...will promote lots of bad decisions.

Spend the $ on a Benelli and you'll NEVER REGRET IT.

Again, I like your list of must-have guns, and a few are on my personal list too.

My point with the 1911 is that it is more expensive, requires more work, and usually ends up with more customization - I agree with you that it IS an amazing gun that everyone should own at least one of. At the same time, because it is very unlikely that 1911s will be banned, the guy can take his time finding out that fits him best (and he can afford - I'm assuming he only has a limited amount of money to spend on firearms purchases, wait times, etc). Whether or not he should go .45 or 9mm or .22 is up to him and what suits him best - it's a personal preference.

Same kind of goes for the Benelli - you're paying 10 times the amount for a shotgun that is 10 times better; this means it's (in my opinion) a worthwhile buy. At the same time, it's a lot of money for a gun he may or may not have already tried out; if it turns out he likes 20 gauges more, then he's SOL and lost a lot of money. As shotguns probably won't be affected by the ban, he can take his time with it and be sure he's getting exactly what he wants (provided whether or not the whole "no two assault-characteristics on a gun" thing passes, and whether or not he wants a pistol-grip Benelli - I'm not too familiar with this).

So I like your list, but since they won't be affected by the ban, there is no need to rush into buying something that may not fit him. *shrugs* my 2 cents.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    So there are going to be banned pistols only because they have higher than 10 mags? We can't buy the pistol without mags and then buy the mags in West Virginia?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Again, I like your list of must-have guns, and a few are on my personal list too.

My point with the 1911 is that it is more expensive, requires more work, and usually ends up with more customization - I agree with you that it IS an amazing gun that everyone should own at least one of. At the same time, because it is very unlikely that 1911s will be banned, the guy can take his time finding out that fits him best (and he can afford - I'm assuming he only has a limited amount of money to spend on firearms purchases, wait times, etc). Whether or not he should go .45 or 9mm or .22 is up to him and what suits him best - it's a personal preference.

Same kind of goes for the Benelli - you're paying 10 times the amount for a shotgun that is 10 times better; this means it's (in my opinion) a worthwhile buy. At the same time, it's a lot of money for a gun he may or may not have already tried out; if it turns out he likes 20 gauges more, then he's SOL and lost a lot of money. As shotguns probably won't be affected by the ban, he can take his time with it and be sure he's getting exactly what he wants (provided whether or not the whole "no two assault-characteristics on a gun" thing passes, and whether or not he wants a pistol-grip Benelli - I'm not too familiar with this).

So I like your list, but since they won't be affected by the ban, there is no need to rush into buying something that may not fit him. *shrugs* my 2 cents.
    Copy all and concur. Thanks.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    So there are going to be banned pistols only because they have higher than 10 mags? We can't buy the pistol without mags and then buy the mags in West Virginia?
    I think that depends on grandfathering. In NY they didn't grandfather so even possessing will be illegal. I believe the Colorado draft bill right now has above 15 grandfathered.

If you are considering a pistol model that can hold more than 10 rounds your best strategy might be to wait on the pistol but just get the higher cap mags for now. Keep your receipt because the probative burden on grandfathered items is usually the owner, not the state. (ie if you are caught with them you usually are the one who has to prove you got them before the date). If a non grandfathered law is passed and you want to stay legal, or if you decide against that pistol, you can recover some of the costs by selling the mags outside of state. In some cases states which don't grandfather allow mags to be pinned (permanently reduced capacity)

So when it comes to pistol mags 15's of popular guns such as S&W MP might be a good idea. 17 round ones might be banned in lots of places so 15 is a sweet spot. Also some mags are interchangeable, my p226 mags work in a P229

sgtjunk

Aug 5, 2012
    Crofton, MD
    He mentioned the ban. I got that. He asked what he should buy.
    I wasn't suggesting they're gonna ban any of that because the sharpshooters on here will get into the various configurations that might be banned... I'll stick with my list. I did fail to add Ruger 10-22 and S&W Model 19 Combat....maybe an AK or SKS (I'm not a fan but they have a loyal following). A thousand pardons.
    First gun a 1911... Yesterday, today and tomorrow.
    FN ban...will promote lots of bad decisions.

Spend the $ on a Benelli and you'll NEVER REGRET IT.

Speaking of 10/22... Would anyone suggest the takedown? I'm a little old- fashioned and love the look of wood but if the TD is worth it.... Idk.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

NarlocB

Jan 23, 2013
    Absolutely love the 10/22, and will someday get a TD for the simple pack/carry it provides. But I will have to wait for the rampant gun inflation to put them back to a realistic price. All the gun fear has put a hurt on the less fortunate (poorer people).......gun shops are making great profits, though not as much as the gun makers.

Dont get me wrong, if these crazy laws pass, the gun shops need to make every dime they can now not only to keep their businesses safe but their family safe too.

NRA-Benefactor

Defend Freedom
    Feb 4, 2013
    Calvert County
    I wouldn't bother with a threaded barrel because ATF paperwork is like 6 months.

There is no ATF paperwork for a threaded barrel, only ATF paperwork if you want to buy a suppressor to put on that threaded barrel......

I just got a Sig 1911 Scorpion TB, and it was just standard 77r paperwork.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    From what I've read:

SB0281 BANS any long gun currently regulated. Therefore, this link [<-- clicky] has all 45 future banned guns :( Go through it and figure out which ones you like and buy, buy, buy!

BirchBrook22

Jan 4, 2013
    Speaking of 10/22... Would anyone suggest the takedown? I'm a little old- fashioned and love the look of wood but if the TD is worth it.... Idk.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

Bought a TD a couple weeks ago. Pretty fun to shoot. With the shortage of .22, it is making it hard to shoot. I absolutely would recommend to anyone. DSG seems to be getting them in pretty frequently, and for around $350.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I haven't seen anyone recommend a .308 semi auto battle rifle yet which I think is a MUST buy before the ban. Springfield M1A, HK G3 (or PTR91 clone), or FAL are all awesome guns to shoot and hold a special spot in my safe. I have fun with .223 and other cartridges but as far as accuracy/stopping power/mule-kick recoil/pure HOLY S%!T factor it's my .308 rifles all the way.

Mags for the HK G3 and it's clones are dirt cheap (less than $4 a pop cheap) and you can still find good deals on M1A mags too. I have a special spot in my heart for my PTR 91 because it is so easy to modify and performs so damn well.

cunninghamrjr

nw2guns
    Feb 6, 2013
    Put an m1a on my list last week. Have to wait on my collector status to get approved, then I get to start the shopping spree.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I would add the Marlin 60 to this list. If you would rather have a 10/22, I don't think they are in any jeopardy because the standard magazine is 10 rounds. But if you would rather have a Marlin 60, then you have to hope they preserve the exception for tube-fed rimfire magazines over 10 rounds. Otherwise the current version of the gun is going to be banned. Now I don't think that situation will last forever, Marlin will certainly come out with a 60 that has a shortened tube eventually, but there will probably be some period of time when the Marlin 60 vs. 10/22 choice is made for you.

The other weird one is any shotgun with a rotating cylinder is banned (at least in one of the drafts I saw). So the Circuit Judge, the Judge and the S&W Governor are all about to be banned. I wouldn't put any of those on the list of guns you need to buy before the ban, but that is just completely incoherent. Let me get this straight - in the interest of public safety, you want me to take the money I would have spent on a Governor that shoots .410 rounds and go buy a Ruger Alaskan that shoots 454 Casull instead? Ummmmmm...ok. I guess I can do that if you really, really want me to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom