• ...and so much more!
  • MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Glock in 9mm
    Remington 870 or Benelli M1 Super 90
    AR15...not a cheap one
    And sufficient food to feed them.

I've always heard that 1911s are costlier and harder to maintain than most 9mm - they're a labor of love. As such, a newbie (like me) should stay away from them. Also they won't be affected by the mag-capacity ban (though they would be affected by the 10/1 threaded barrel ban).

While I've always wanted a Benelli, I got the same kind of advice - go with a Mossberg or a Remington before trading up to a "premium" shotgun.

Great list, but idk if it would really suit a newbie :/

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I think you should buy an AR and an AK and a threaded barrel.
    The other stuff won't be banned, you'll just have to 'follow the new rules'.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Wait, are handguns specific gonna be banned? Figured we could buy them without the mags after the ban. I want my Baby Desert Eagle dangit.

@OP, stripped reciever for AR15. You'll still be able to buy the uppers and parts after the ban.

Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    Why would a 1911 handgun be banned? Don't most use most 8-12 cartridge standard magazines?

Right now the only things in danger are semi-auto rifles. If you ever wanted any of them that's what you should buy.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Start with the "A's"... AR and AK. Get one of each.

You'll still be able to get pistols and shotguns after the ban (and they will likely be cheaper once panic subsides). But if you believe the ban will pass, things are only going to get crazier with rifles between now and October.

HICAPMAG

Mar 2, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Glock in 9mm
    Remington 870 or Benelli M1 Super 90
    AR15...not a cheap one
    And sufficient food to feed them.

Damn that's good advice. Started with a Glock 17, then got the Remington 870 tactical and now waiting for my Colt 6920. :party29:

It's the feeding part that is proving the most difficult.:banghead:

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Start with the "A's"... AR and AK. Get one of each.

You'll still be able to get pistols and shotguns after the ban (and they will likely be cheaper once panic subsides). But if you believe the ban will pass, things are only going to get crazier with rifles between now and October.

Sorry to threadjack, can we buy AK stripped lowers?

I've gotten AR stripped lowers because I don't have the $$ to build complete rifle, trying to buy all the stripped lowers I can before the big B.

@ OP - Check with the Industry Partners first. I'm betting most are just as SOL on AR parts like the rest of us. This site might help http://www.arpartsfinder.com

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Most of the IPs here don't carry AK receivers. You have to order them.

Nodak is the big gorilla but Ohio Ordinance has a good product and 74uLLC has an excellent product depending on what you are looking for. AK receivers are in high demand and most come out of out what are comparitively small shops. Really hard to come by right now. And you really want to buy a finished rifle or pay a professional to build. AR builds are a cakewalk compared to AKs.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I've always heard that 1911s are costlier and harder to maintain than most 9mm - they're a labor of love. As such, a newbie (like me) should stay away from them. Also they won't be affected by the mag-capacity ban (though they would be affected by the 10/1 threaded barrel ban).

While I've always wanted a Benelli, I got the same kind of advice - go with a Mossberg or a Remington before trading up to a "premium" shotgun.

Great list, but idk if it would really suit a newbie :/
    He mentioned the ban. I got that. He asked what he should buy.
    I wasn't suggesting they're gonna ban any of that because the sharpshooters on here will get into the various configurations that might be banned... I'll stick with my list. I did fail to add Ruger 10-22 and S&W Model 19 Combat....maybe an AK or SKS (I'm not a fan but they have a loyal following). A thousand pardons.
    First gun a 1911... Yesterday, today and tomorrow.
    FN ban...will promote lots of bad decisions.

Spend the $ on a Benelli and you'll NEVER REGRET IT.

Last edited:

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    Get an AK47/AK74. You'll probably have better luck finding one these days than an AR15...unless you can find an M&P15 HBAR - that would be cash and carry without the 30+ day wait. You'll always be able to buy some type of handgun, but you may not be able to buy an EBR.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    get a glock with a whole bunch of mags- I'd recommend a .40 cal, either a 22 or 23, but a 9mm isn't that much of a step down, you'll still be well armed.

Get a few cz-82s since you won't be able to get any more of them once the ban starts due to their 12 round magazine. They're AMAZING pistols, great for concealed carry, and they only cost about 250 bucks right now. I've seen these pistols frozen into a block of ice, bashed out with a hammer, and then resume shooting like it just came out of the safe. They are unbelievably reliable and accurate, and with a chrome lined polygonal barrel it is seriously just not feasible to shoot enough ammo through this pistol to destroy it. The Czechs seriously used sintered IRON ammunition in these things loaded incredibly hot, and even that couldn't hurt these things. They will shoot forever without much care, and are easy as pie to maintain.

Get a good AR, I'd recommend either an OLD bushmaster, a Colt of any time period, or a new rifle from Windham weaponry, Rock River Arms, or if you really want to get expensive you can go semi custom with Noveske. Stay away from Smith and Wesson Ar-15s and the M&P series, I've had nothing but problems with them.

You'll always be able to get a shotgun, and 1911s are here to stay because of the 7-8 round mags.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Are they banning the SKSes with fixed mags? But AR, you're golden there, Saiga-12 if you can find one then get it converted, full size 9mm Glock (shouldn't be an issue though post ban), the pump shotguns should be fine, get either a 500 or 870...Just try to be awesome like me and fill up a safe. Did you put in your C&R yet?

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    oh, and an AK is a good thing to have, but if you can swing it get yourself a vz-58 instead. It does literally everything the AK does, only better and lighter.

That said, don't believe the hype about AKs being inaccurate. I have a WASR-10 that shoots AMAZINGLY tight groups as long as I do my part, and WASRs are not known for being the cream of the crop. A good AK zeroed correctly with an optic of any sort will punch out groups of about 1.8-2.2 MOA as long as you do everything right. People get hung up on having a rifle that shoots sub MOA groups, but I'm here to tell you, out to 250 meters, nothing the size of a softball or larger is safe from a good AK. The VZ-58 is even more accurate, and in ANY platform the 7.62x39 packs a punch. Think of it this way, the 5.56 is an intermediate cartridge and no mistake, but the 7.62x39 is ballistically identical to some FULL POWER RIFLE CARTRIDGES- I've seen it blow off entire limbs from feral hogs before. No aresenal is complete without at least one 7.62x39 rifle. The SKS is good if you have nothing else, but strangely enough I've actually gotten BETTER accuracy out of my AKs than I have out of my SKSs for the most part- except for one chinese type 56 I have that literally shoots sub MOA. Anyways- get a commie gun, they're great, dependable partners that will serve you the the gates of hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom