• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Permanone

treat every single bit of hunting clothing with permanone and there will not be a bug problem. chigger wont live long enough to make it to your socks much less a leg or groin.
    Permanone is 50/50 permethrin and piperonyl butoxide. The piperonyl butoxide is a synergist for permethrin and other insecticides. You don't want piperonyl butoxide on you or on your clothes. It's best to keep that for spraying a barn or garage.

Permethrin is broad spectrum so it kills most all insects.

Get some Martins 10 percent permethrin and dilute it with water 10 to 1 up to 20 to 1. You'll save a boat load over Sawyers spray which is 0.5 percent.

If you ever get scabies, Sawyers mixed 50/50 with body lotion does the trick. Apply twice, one week apart.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I drove down to the beach last Monday around 2pm and saw about 20 deer milling around in a field just before you hit the nanticoke river bridge. Not to mention all the others all the way down.

blacklab25

Mar 26, 2013
    Mardela Springs
    And you are talking about the last field on the left before you get to the nanticoke bridge. Saw over 30 last week right before the rain at about 3:45. Heat doesn't seem to affect the deer unless it is hunting season for some reason. Too hot in october and you aren't seeing anything.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Thermacells emit allethrin, which is pyrethroid, just like permethrin. Permethrin is broad spectrum, so it works on mosquitoes, chiggers, lice, mites, etc.

Thumbs up for Thermacel. Got Lyme disease walking my dog in AA county and my hands (as in nearly every joint) hrt for 1 1/2 years. Thermacel isn't any good for dog walking but great for a stand and doesn't seem to spook deer.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I won't go hunting without a thermacell in hand.. It does not spook deer in my many years of using one and until it gets frozen, I always have one burning in the stand or blind. I don't like repellents of any kind when deer hunting, but this is one I can handle.. lol

Heading to Canada next week for some fishing.. the Thermacell and it's backup will both be packed. Works pretty well on blackflies too! ;)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The Scent Shield products called "No Stinkin' Bugs" works well in both the red and green cans.

Deer will come within 15 yards.

Much needed for September crossbow season.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    And you are talking about the last field on the left before you get to the nanticoke bridge. Saw over 30 last week right before the rain at about 3:45. Heat doesn't seem to affect the deer unless it is hunting season for some reason. Too hot in october and you aren't seeing anything.

Yes the one on the left with house sitting in the middle of that huge field. No matter what time of day (as long as the sun is out) I alway see deer there. That would be a great place to hunt.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    so how can a sue repel for making it then?
    Permanone is 50/50 permethrin and piperonyl butoxide. The piperonyl butoxide is a synergist for permethrin and other insecticides. You don't want piperonyl butoxide on you or on your clothes. It's best to keep that for spraying a barn or garage.

Permethrin is broad spectrum so it kills most all insects.

Get some Martins 10 percent permethrin and dilute it with water 10 to 1 up to 20 to 1. You'll save a boat load over Sawyers spray which is 0.5 percent.

If you ever get scabies, Sawyers mixed 50/50 with body lotion does the trick. Apply twice, one week apart.

blacklab25

Mar 26, 2013
    Mardela Springs
    Mark, I've only seen 1 person hunting it last year during gun season. On the left side, could see his orange. The woods surrounding it are all Chesapeake tree property. Bet they will never let that lease go.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    I just ordered my new bow, and it should get here Saturday! My question: I have only ever hunted firearm and muzzleloader (cold weather) and never Bow. After reading about the tick problem in warm weather, I looked into Permathrin. I found a quart of 35% for $23 on amazon. Is that still safe to use if diluted, or is the stuff that concentrated meant for other uses?

Secondly, if anyone has any suggestions for hunting off the ground or in a makeshift blind that be cool -- I have no money after the Bow, so this year is not going to be a tree stand year...thanks!

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    When you say new bow, are you saying you have owned a bow before and are proficient?
    I just ordered my new bow, and it should get here Saturday! My question: I have only ever hunted firearm and muzzleloader (cold weather) and never Bow. After reading about the tick problem in warm weather, I looked into Permathrin. I found a quart of 35% for $23 on amazon. Is that still safe to use if diluted, or is the stuff that concentrated meant for other uses?

Secondly, if anyone has any suggestions for hunting off the ground or in a makeshift blind that be cool -- I have no money after the Bow, so this year is not going to be a tree stand year...thanks!

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD

I would say start shooting your butt off when it gets here and if you are not proficient to take a good shot at 20 yards and under do not hunt.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    More variables go into it then just being able to take a shot at 20. He wants to hunt from the ground or blind, that would entail shooting sitting down. sitting and standing are two different bags of nuts as i am sure you know. One does not order a bow a month before the season starts, shoots it standing up in they yard a few times with feild points, throws on untuned broadheads and lloks for a deer to wound. That shit just ain't right.
    I would say start shooting your butt off when it gets here and if you are not proficient to take a good shot at 20 yards and under do not hunt.

blacklab25

Mar 26, 2013
    Mardela Springs
    If you want to hunt off the ground I would strongly suggest a pop up ground blind. You can get some for fairly cheap. Only open the windows for the direction you plan on shooting. I wouldn't suggest shooting through the screen in the windows.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    More variables go into it then just being able to take a shot at 20. He wants to hunt from the ground or blind, that would entail shooting sitting down. sitting and standing are two different bags of nuts as i am sure you know. One does not order a bow a month before the season starts, shoots it standing up in they yard a few times with feild points, throws on untuned broadheads and lloks for a deer to wound. That shit just ain't right.

I will not be hunting until I believe I am proficient with my bow -- I have no intention on maiming a deer. I have never owned my own bow, but I have shot bows on several occasions. Unfortunately, I just didn't have the money to spring until now.

I have the resources to shoot as much as I want at pretty much any distance that I would be presented with. I was asking because I would like to prepare in all aspects of Bow hunting. If I don't feel comfortable, then I will wait it out til firearms. Thanks.

I found a quart of 35% for $23 on amazon. Is that still safe to use if diluted, or is the stuff that concentrated meant for other uses?
    Dilute 1 oz of the permethrin to make 70 oz. That will give 0.5 percent. Don't get the 35 percent stuff on you or pets.

It's easier to deal with if you start with 10% permethrin, but more expensive if you mix up tons of it. I mixed up a half gallon of 1% to destroy a swarm of Japanese beetles that were eating hydrangeas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom