• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Either way, can we just wait a few until after the holidays to see what Cpl. Edwards can or can't do?

I could wait forever. I don't really need an SBR. More of a novelty item for me. Same goes for the .300 Blk and the .458 SOCOM. Again, not needs, but wants. Of course, they are not needs, until they are needs, and then it is too late to wish you had it. Kind of like health insurance, life insurance, auto insurance, etc.

The issue is how long do we wait when there is an infringement on our 2nd Amendment Rights. From what I have read, Cpl. Edwards was contacted about this on December 16th, which is now a week ago. Anybody heard anything back from Cpl. Edwards?

As far as the holidays are concerned, I agree. Nobody should be working between tomorrow and January 2. Of course, I'll be working. lol

matt_yamaha_guy_450

Jun 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    People implies plural. Was there more than just one Matt the Yamaha Man? If so, who else received recent approvals for an SBR on an AR-15 platform?

Matt the Yamaha Man might have inadvertently slipped through the cracks. Now, if it is people instead of person, I would relax a little. Would even send in my apps and the money.

I was looking at other peoples submission dates as they posted them in different threads and some were before me some a day after mine, i have no idea why mine were approved and others were not as of yet

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Everyone is pretty much checked out for the holidays. I was personally asked to call back January 5th as a lot of people will not be back until then. Eh, can't blame'm. Enjoy time with the family, we'll revisit this sh!t in a couple weeks.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I was looking at other peoples submission dates as they posted them in different threads and some were before me some a day after mine, i have no idea why mine were approved and others were not as of yet

That's the thing. I believe your approval is an anomaly that slipped through the cracks. Think it was even approved by somebody other than the MD regulars, but I could be wrong about that. Since hearing about your approval, there hasn't been another approval posted. Then again, maybe I am wrong there because "people" have been approved.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Exactly...

What happens when Frosh takes office? Whose opinion matters more, Forsh or MSP? Remember, MSP took the position that a .22lr that looked like an AR-15 was a copy of the AR-15 and therefore a regulated firearm. The AG then came out with the copy opinion wherein it stated that the parts must be interchangeable, which they were not for the .22lr that looked like an AR-15. Granted, the AG's opinion did not directly address the .22lr though.

So, does this all get cleared up when Hogan takes office, or do we get further screwed over on this once Frosh takes office?

matt_yamaha_guy_450

Jun 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    That's the thing. I believe your approval is an anomaly that slipped through the cracks. Think it was even approved by somebody other than the MD regulars, but I could be wrong about that. Since hearing about your approval, there hasn't been another approval posted. Then again, maybe I am wrong there because "people" have been approved.

Hooray for slippery forms!! :)

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    So they are approving pre-ban lowers for SBR?

IIRC over the last few weeks (pre or post may not matter I think it is when made)
    Denials 3 (illegal in MD reasoning)
    Approved 1

Can they recall ALL SBR stamps given post 10/1 if they find illegal under SB281?

Last edited:

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    IIRC over the last few weeks (pre or post may not matter I think it is when made)
    Denials 3 (illegal in MD reasoning)
    Approved 1

Can they recall ALL SBR stamps given post 10/1 if they find illegal under SB281?

When were the denials?

For what it's worth, other then the latest machinegun trust shenanigans, I've never heard of the ATF revoking or recalling a stamp.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    That's how the chain of command works, you don't just jump to the top.

Actually, you do. At least, if you want an answer sooner rather than later and have better things to do than wading through a chain (aptly named) of command.

For whatever it's worth, I've spoken with Mark Bowen re Maryland firearms law on a number of occasions and he's smart, knowledgeable and always helpful. I don't have a horse in this race (and I'm not sufficiently well versed in the specific issues here), otherwise, I'd contact him myself. But I'm certain that Mark would be able to provide the final word (from the state) or could quickly locate the person who has it.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    When were the denials?

For what it's worth, other then the latest machinegun trust shenanigans, I've never heard of the ATF revoking or recalling a stamp.

I was going by the posts here and word of mouth by a friend so no real data but all recent, my bad.

So we are waiting on MD's definition of a " pisfle "? Has anyone coined that term yet?:)

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    I was going by the posts here and word of mouth by a friend so no real data but all recent, my bad.

So we are waiting on MD's definition of a " pisfle "? Has anyone coined that term yet?:)

We're actually waiting for Jan 5th, so we can attempt to setup a better line of communication between the NFA ATF examiners and MSP. Then prove to the ATF that MSP is the regulatory authority for guns in MD, and define precisely what is legal for SBR's in MD. To the point where the ATF feels like they're not breaking any local laws by approving SBR's. I have a few phone calls to make on Monday.

This crap feels too much like work.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    We're actually waiting for Jan 5th, so we can attempt to setup a better line of communication between the NFA ATF examiners and MSP. Then prove to the ATF that MSP is the regulatory authority for guns in MD, and define precisely what is legal for SBR's in MD. To the point where the ATF feels like they're not breaking any local laws by approving SBR's. I have a few phone calls to make on Monday.

Thanks for your efforts!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    3rd that sentiment. I'd love to SBR a couple weapons, but right now, no way Jose..lol

Hope you can convince the ATF of how it should be handled.. ;)

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    What happens when Frosh takes office? Whose opinion matters more, Forsh or MSP? Remember, MSP took the position that a .22lr that looked like an AR-15 was a copy of the AR-15 and therefore a regulated firearm. The AG then came out with the copy opinion wherein it stated that the parts must be interchangeable, which they were not for the .22lr that looked like an AR-15. Granted, the AG's opinion did not directly address the .22lr though.

So, does this all get cleared up when Hogan takes office, or do we get further screwed over on this once Frosh takes office?

Kind of related, but can the AG issue opinions without someone asking him to do so? All of the opinions I've seen have been responses to people who submitted letters for clarification of issues. Seems like a good way to avoid having to deal with him interpreting law is for us just to not ask him for his clarification.

drfroglegs

TheFrogAssassin
    Jun 11, 2012
    Columbia, MD

I emailed Cpl Edwards today to see if there has been any resolve. The last email I received from him was 12/16 where he asked:

What documents/items do you have from the BATFE regarding their request for additional information? In addition, who are you working with at the BATFE?

Then when I replied with what they need, he responded with:

I've reached out to Mr. Dicken regarding your paperwork. I will advise when I have something to provide to you.

I Just emailed him and asked if he was able to get in touch with the BATFE and verify with them that the MSP Licensing Division is the regulator authority for firearms and firearms laws... I'll let everyone know what he says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom