• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Ok. So I have been watching this thread since it started and I don't comment often, but I have decided maybe I should share my own saga with BATFE and the MSP. I filed two individual form 1s (both SBRs less than 29") with the MSP in November of 2013 for CLEO signatures. I got them back in March of 2014 signed with no mention that length was an issue at all. I immediately sent them to the BATFE. They cashed my checks on April 12, 2014. Then the customary wait. I then received a correction letter on both of the forms I submitted ( One in mid December and the other just before Christmas.) neither correction letter mentioned any issues with the overall length of the rifles. They simply asked me to print the maker name, I signed my name by mistake, and caliber specified needed to be changed from multi (I know I should have known better. But it has been a few years since I have done a form 1.). Anyway I made the necessary changes and promptly returned them both. Then I find this thread and I become a little worried about the length issue. So I called BATFE to check on them about two weeks ago and was told they had received the corrections and that they are still pending.

Any way I am still in limbo. I may give them a ring in the morning. Should I ask if I can change the overall length just to get them done? I am not married to an overall length less than 29" anyway. Then again maybe I should let it ride just to see what happens. Maybe just change one? Any input would be great.

Sorry to hear about all this. This is another example of why you should get a trust.

BATFE stopped approoving SBRs <29" about 8mos ago. If you had a trust you would have made the cutoff easily.

You should probably just call and change the OAL length. You do not need further delays and they will not approve a centerfire SBR <29".

Good luck

marine88

Jun 20, 2012
    I live in St Mary's county, I found the Sheriff's email on line and sent him an email explaining exactly what I wanted to do, he told me he would have no problem signing it and to bring it by. I would email him and ask.

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    I live in St Mary's county, I found the Sheriff's email on line and sent him an email explaining exactly what I wanted to do, he told me he would have no problem signing it and to bring it by. I would email him and ask.

Thanks.

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    I got mine last week, sent in the middle of june. M&P 15-22 with a 4.5" barrel, 23.5 overall length.

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    Notably, the BATFE didn't seem to always understand this. Nice to see some evidence that perhaps that has changed.

Correct. Which, unfortunately, quite a few of us learned the hard way. Took 4-5 months to get my refund.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    Form 1 approved. Submitted 26 Jan
    Approved 14 May
    C39 29.0 inches OAL

This truly is excellent news, thanks. I'm planning on submitting Form 1 for at least three AR-mag-compatible pistols (M85, SIG P556, Engage E4) and since I don't know exactly what stocks I will use I am planning on listing 29" exactly for each. My hope is that my 10.5" 300 BLK, with a pinned/welded muzzle brake mount for the Saker suppressor (a 2.5" extension), will add enough OAL to let me use one of the CCS systems and still stay on the bright side of the law.

GlocksRGreat

Nov 17, 2013
    Western Maryland
    This truly is excellent news, thanks. I'm planning on submitting Form 1 for at least three AR-mag-compatible pistols (M85, SIG P556, Engage E4) and since I don't know exactly what stocks I will use I am planning on listing 29" exactly for each. My hope is that my 10.5" 300 BLK, with a pinned/welded muzzle brake mount for the Saker suppressor (a 2.5" extension), will add enough OAL to let me use one of the CCS systems and still stay on the bright side of the law.

At 10.5 inches you should be fine without having your muzzle device pinned/welded. I built an SBR with a 10.5 inch barrel with a Magpul stock and was at about 29.25 inches overall.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    At 10.5 inches you should be fine without having your muzzle device pinned/welded. I built an SBR with a 10.5 inch barrel with a Magpul stock and was at about 29.25 inches overall.
    Thanks (and to teratos, as well). My concern is that the CCS - like the Troy PDW stock kit - has a shorter stock, which can decrease the OAL. But one way or another I will make this all work. Much obliged for the feedback.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks (and to teratos, as well). My concern is that the CCS - like the Troy PDW stock kit - has a shorter stock, which can decrease the OAL. But one way or another I will make this all work. Much obliged for the feedback.

If you pick one of those short stocks you will have to go with a longer barrel. Sucks.

I have a pre-ban SBR 9mm AR with a 5" barrel and 22" OAL. it's great. If I could, I'd build another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom