• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    They (ATF) have been sent so much material on the subject, and dumbed down to the point of making flow charts ;) At this point every time I call them it's always "we're reviewing it now" or something along those lines. I know MD gun law is majorly confusing, but they have been given EVERYTHING they need to come to the same conclusion as the MSP advisory.

The ATF's legal council needs to hurry up and make things right.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    I have a question after reading this thread.
    If I wanted to SBR a SCAR(with no flash hider) or a piston AR that would be over 29" is that ok? Or are all SBRs being declined?
    These still can be purchased today so they are not banned. I have a LMT with the MRP chassis that I would like to get a 12" barrel.

dgtaurus

Feb 17, 2011
    Pasadena
    I have a question after reading this thread.
    If I wanted to SBR a SCAR(with no flash hider) or a piston AR that would be over 29" is that ok? Or are all SBRs being declined?
    These still can be purchased today so they are not banned. I have a LMT with the MRP chassis that I would like to get a 12" barrel.

Personally I'd hold off on sending anything in until they get this crap worked out but I think we're just mainly having issues with AR's. But I could be wrong

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Just submitted a 22lr AR-15 SBR. I attached the MSP letter explaining copycat weapons, and pointed out that copycat only applies to "centerfire" so hopefully that works.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    I've seen no posts or word from anyone recently that have been approved for any SBR's in Maryland within the last couple months. There has been a couple approvals (including AR-15 SBR's), but for lack of a better explanation, they probably just got lucky (different examiners).

For the most part, as long as you follow the "Copycat weapon" restrictions then you're legally fine. The problem has been getting the majority of the ATF NFA examiners to understand this fact.

I've been calling\emailing MSP and the ATF at least twice a week and have been given the same answer. "We're still reviewing it..."

Judging how long it took MSP to issue the SBR/SBS advisory from the time FSA2013 went into effect, which is a litmus test on how long legal councils (ATF) take reviewing the law, we're still probably looking at another couple months before they start approving SBR's again in MD.

Just a guess, but so far it's been looking that way.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Just submitted a 22lr AR-15 SBR. I attached the MSP letter explaining copycat weapons, and pointed out that copycat only applies to "centerfire" so hopefully that works.

Unfortunately, I've been there done that. The one I submitted was for just a Ruger 10/22 SBR under 29 inches in OAL. Still was disapproved.

You're now betting on the fact that these issues will be cleared up by the time your application is formally reviewed.

drfroglegs

TheFrogAssassin
    Jun 11, 2012
    Columbia, MD

Just hear-say, but I'll repeat...

I heard when Hogan visited the Associated Gun Clubs to get support of the shooting community he promised he would get rid of Marcus Brown 1st thing. I heard a few days ago that although he "resigned" he was forcefully resigned by Hogan to keep his promise to the shooting community.

I believe this to be very, very true based on the source and it makes me extremely proud to have voted for Hogan.

So to answer your question, no. In fact his resignation is a good sign for the shooting community and will only help things.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Just hear-say, but I'll repeat...

I heard when Hogan visited the Associated Gun Clubs to get support of the shooting community he promised he would get rid of Marcus Brown 1st thing. I heard a few days ago that although he "resigned" he was forcefully resigned by Hogan to keep his promise to the shooting community.

I believe this to be very, very true based on the source and it makes me extremely proud to have voted for Hogan.

So to answer your question, no. In fact his resignation is a good sign for the shooting community and will only help things.

I was in the room for the Hogan visit to the AGC. I don't remember the promise to get rid of Brown but then again I try not to listen to promises of politicians. I remember he did not make us any real promises about him turning things around for the gun community but more assured us of his support for our ideals and that he would do what he could given a hostile legislature. I actually kind of appreciated the honesty and the lack of promises as we all know how well they hold. He got my vote, not that I was going in any other direction... as I hated O'Malley and would not ever vote for anyone related to him.

schnejerator

dabbled in pacifism once
    Sep 26, 2014
    haggistucky
    Not that I want to read too much into it but it seems they are at least sitting on them right now and not disapproving while digesting it all...

AK-47

Feb 2, 2008
    Has anyone had an SBR recently approved that is on the MD pistol roster?
    I have a pending sbr on form 4 individual that is due around April. The sbr is on the roster. I am getting nervous on this recent hold up by the ATF on the SBR approval process....

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    Got a disapproval today on my form 1 for a stupid mistake i made. I put my name in 3b instead of the trust.

However, the disapproval notes say NOTHING about being illegal in maryland. Not sure if that means anything. Signature looks like Jason M. something, but very unreadable.

34f01fee4b89ef5f37b7a45478d95f02.jpg

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Got a disapproval today on my form 1 for a stupid mistake i made. I put my name in 3b instead of the trust.

However, the disapproval notes say NOTHING about being illegal in maryland. Not sure if that means anything. Signature looks like Jason M. something, but very unreadable.

When did you submit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom