SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Sure is tough being between a rock and a hard place... but yeah, pretty sound advice. I obviously don't want anyone incriminating themselves in case we have Feds roaming around on here... but my guess is they're all on 4 Chan grooming the next school shooter.
    Your state and federal employees ARE here watching you communicate. Never assume they're exclusively somewhere else. Everyone here are everyone watching understands the general sentiments involved. But there's a fine line between kvetching and konfessing.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Sure is tough being between a rock and a hard place... but yeah, pretty sound advice. I obviously don't want anyone incriminating themselves in case we have Feds roaming around on here... but my guess is they're all on 4 Chan grooming the next school shooter.
    Feds don't enforce state or local laws. It's the MDSP guys and lurkers from Anti groups you'd need to worry about.

widderic

Straight Shooter
    Oct 19, 2020
    Baltimore City
    Alright thanks for the helpful info. Guess I'll worry about it come the effect date. Any updates from the NRA or MSI regarding their law suit? Has a date been set yet?

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Alright thanks for the helpful info. Guess I'll worry about it come the effect date. Any updates from the NRA or MSI regarding their law suit? Has a date been set yet?
    It will be in limbo for sometime(I hope that I'm wrong but this is maryland.)We have a better chance of knowing who will be president in 2024 than before any movement on the lawsuit against SB1!

Last edited:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    It will be in limbo for sometime(I hope that I'm wrong but this is maryland.)We have a better chance of knowing who will be president in 2024 than before any movement on the lawsuit against SB1!
    And we may have a better chance of knowing the outcome of the 2028 election before we know the final disposition of Bianchi. :sad20:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yeah I guess I did just ask that. Idk... I seem to hear that a lot from people in person. Whether or not they're telling the truth is another thing.
    In person is a whole another thing from a forum of 30,000+ members that is open to the entire world to read.

Asking in person is one thing, asking here............really?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Having said all of that... are you guys abiding by these laws that I consider constitutional infringements? Or are we still carrying where ever we please? 90 days in jail I can do, but losing my job I cannot. Of course.... hard to work if you're also dead.

I would bet most Maryland W&C holders have no clue about the MoCo law, and that includes MoCo residents.
    Very few follow Montgomery County Council's foibles , other than the extremists. Very few vote for those people other than the extremists.. hence the County Council is nuts.

Oh it's SB1.. but maybe same answer for that too

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I would bet most Maryland W&C holders have no clue about the MoCo law, and that includes MoCo residents.
    Very few follow Montgomery County Council's foibles , other than the extremists. Very few vote for those people other than the extremists.. hence the County Council is nuts.

Oh it's SB1.. but maybe same answer for that too

Uh, that would make us here "extremists" I suspect.

We seem to be out of step with 40+ other states.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019

It’s apparent the 4th Circuit is committed to replicating the Jim Crow-era doctrine of “Massive Resistance” to nullify the Second Amendment. This determination to nullify our 2A rights also now encompasses restricting our 1A rights of free speech and assembly too.

As Federal district courts and some sister Circuits join this Massive Resistance this movement is showing early success as a rear-guard action, as our own MoCo carry ban case currently illustrates, and as the MSI challenge in “Novotny” and the NRA challenge in “Kipke” soon will. They are not even trying to hide it anymore.

This “Resistance” movement goes a long way toward explaining the continuing delay in the 4th handing down their decision in “Bianchi” and predicts the future course of all pro-2A litigation there.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    The 4th Circuit Court of Appeals lost their legal minds and became the “Ninth Circus” of the East years ago, and now fully deserves the nickname “4th Circus.”

Many here have endured this anti-2A tyranny continuously for well more than a decade, most keenly experienced as many will recall, since they ruled against us in the both the “Woollard” and “Kolbe” cases.

While we wait, some personal reminiscence reviewing why we can’t have nice Constitutional things at the 4th Circus:

Ten years ago, in October 2012, I sat in the 4th Circuit Courtroom with a handful of MDS members who had road-tripped to Richmond to bear witness to the oral argument in “Woollard v. Sheridan” - - challenging Maryland’s “good and substantial reason to receive a permit to wear and carry a handgun” law.

The Maryland Federal district court below had found for Woollard. Of course that favorable ruling was quickly appealed to the 4th Circus by AG Froshhole.

Alan Gura, the successful counsel representing both Dick Heller and Otis McDonald at SCOTUS, argued for Woollard that day. We were all optimistic to be there supporting a proven 2A winner.

(Some of you here on MDS shared that optimism: you had immediately applied for your MD carry permits when the favorable district court decision in “Woollard” decision briefly forced the Maryland Police State to accept your MD carry permit applications, without the requirement to specify the “good and substantial reason” for asking for one. You have been celebrated ever since, in MDS legend and song, as “The 365.”)

Judge King, who was assigned with Judge Davis and Judge Diaz to that “Woollard”panel, stood out to me that morning as an arrogant, pompous, self-important ass, utterly lacking in anything that could be imagined as “judicial modesty.”

Enunciating everything in his exaggerated Southern Gentleman accent with his loud voice and wearing his colorful bow tie and suspenders, King seemed completely full of himself, a judicial clown in full, a caricature: he looked, acted and and sounded like “Boss Hogg.”

On the bench, King leaned all the way back in his leather swivel chair, swung his chair completely sideways to face away from Gura, and rocked himself in it ostentatiously as an undisguised gesture of contempt for Gura and his arguments invoking the appropriate guidance from “Heller.”

In March 2013, the panel decision in “Woollard” was handed down and Woollard lost; his en banc petition to the full Court was denied, and then SCOTUS denied Woollard’s petition for certiorari, ending his courageous legal challenge to ”good and substantial.”

“Boss Hogg” King authored that unanimous panel decision.

Last edited:

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Likewise, when “Kolbe v. Hogan” (“AR-15s are weapons of war”) was argued before the full en banc 4th Circus in 2016, Judge King was there again, and again authored the Court’s unanimous decision, overturning their own appellate panel’s decision favoring Kolbe.

In that infamous decision King had declared: “ … because the banned assault weapons and large capacity magazines are ‘like’ ‘M-16 rifles’ and ‘most useful in military service,’ they are beyond the reach of the Second Amendment.” (Kolbe v. Hogan, 2017)

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/ca4/14-1945/14-1945-2017-02-21.html

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    I thought if you had a current permit (not needing renewal before October 1), prohibition didn't apply until renewal. If so, is it going to be a FFA where you won't know who is who until you're detained and then released after verification?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom