SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Holy Shit, the Office of the Public Defender testifying AGAINST this bill.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sen Muse asking about exemptions for law abiding citizens.
    Those were well thought questions from Senator Muse. I feel like there are a number of dems who have serious reservations about this bill. Both yesterday's version and today's totally changed version. I will hope SB1 goes down, but I have the suspecting they will shove this one through. Probably not as is.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Holy Shit, the Office of the Public Defender testifying AGAINST this bill.
    You often know you done Fooked UP when the office of the public defender calls you out on unconstitutional laws.

Didn't MSP earlier basically say this will prohibit carry in effect in the entire state?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You often know you done Fooked UP when the office of the public defender calls you out on unconstitutional laws.

Didn't MSP earlier basically say this will prohibit carry in effect in the entire state?
    Yes, yes they did.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I'm torn between wanting SB001 to not pass and wanting it to be nullified by the court. My thought is that if it doesn't pass, we will keep seeing it creep up every year. Whereas if it is nullified by the court, it may be less apt to show up year after year.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Those were well thought questions from Senator Muse. I feel like there are a number of dems who have serious reservations about this bill. Both yesterday's version and today's totally changed version. I will hope SB1 goes down, but I have the suspecting they will shove this one through. Probably not as is.
    There will probably be at least one more major revision. And we've heard nothing about the House's intent on this one, and how much "softening" of the bill they'd accept.

What ultimately happens depends mostly on how much political capital the Party leadership is willing to expend on it. Obviously Waldstreicher is all in. But others may not be.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    There will probably be at least one more major revision. And we've heard nothing about the House's intent on this one, and how much "softening" of the bill they'd accept.
    I think it's telling that there is no House version

I know it's not needed but normally they try to DP us if they really want things done

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm torn between wanting SB001 to not pass and wanting it to be nullified by the court. My thought is that if it doesn't pass, we will keep seeing it creep up every year. Whereas if it is nullified by the court, it may be less apt to show up year after year.
    So, if we defeat it this year, we have an entire year of similar laws from NY and NJ that are being challenged, to fall, and hopefully show that these bills are failures.
    On the other hand, pass the bill so we can get this party started in our own Circuit and put this to bed, since rulings in the 2nd Circuit hold no sway here in the 4th Circuit.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'd prefer it not pass and leave us the F alone. I think NY and NJ will get smacked down hard enough by SCOTUS in the next 2 years to make it clear to MD what they can and cannot do. Including that probably many of the current carry restrictions are not constitutional. Sensitive places restrictions being codified by SCOTUS is coming. If it is going to pass in any form, then let's make it as bad as it can so not even a remotely stupid or bought and paid for judge will frown at MGA and through the whole thing out in a heartbeat.

But we still need to kick out some of the current crap like you can't carry in state forests or parks.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    At least one more revision, and then countless Amendments.
    Then the House gets to shred it.

What ultimately happens depends mostly on how much political capital the Party leadership is willing to expend on it. Obviously Waldstreicher is all in. But others may not be.
    I get the feeling that a few think that this bill isn't worth the squeeze.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think it's telling that there is no House version

I know it's not needed but normally they try to DP us if they really want things done
    Can we not make references to the Maryland general legislature spit roasting us? That's really not an image I really needed.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    At least one more revision, and then countless Amendments.
    Then the House gets to shred it.

I get the feeling that a few think that this bill isn't worth the squeeze.
    That we even have to hope for that outcome sickens me.

@dblas I saw your testimony while I was at The Gooch's gymnastics practice. Real smooth bruh.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom