• swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IMG_0639.png
    .SAF FILES FEDERAL LAWSUIT

AGAINST MARYLAND ‘RED FLAG’ LAW

BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation and one of its members, Donald S. Willey, a 64-year-old Marine Corps veteran, have filed a federal lawsuit challenging the so-called “red flag” law enacted by the State of Maryland five years ago.

The lawsuit was filed in U.S District Court for the District of Maryland, Northern Division. Defendants are Maryland Attorney General Anthony G. Brown, Dorchester County, Dorchester County Planning and Zoning Director Susan E. Webb, and Dorchester County Sheriff James W. Phillips. All three are sued in their official capacities, and Webb is also being sued personally.

SAF and Willey are represented by attorneys Edward Andrew Paltzik and Serge Krimnus of the Bochner PLLC law firm in New York City.

According to the federal complaint, for almost two decades Dorchester County authorities have “relentlessly pursued Willey for de minimis nuisance and zoning infractions.” More than two years ago, Webb allegedly stepped up the effort by accusing Willey of operating an illegal business on his property, leaving his yard in poor condition and for an “unpermitted disturbance to a 100-foot tidewater buffer.” These complaints were ultimately withdrawn, resulting in a consent order regarding the alleged condition of Willey’s yard.

Earlier this year, one of Webb’s inspectors entered Willey’s property to conduct a compliance inspection, culminating with Webb issuing new notices for Willey to make other improvements. Several days later, Webb and one of her inspectors visited Willey’s property without advance notice, as required by the consent order. At that time, Webb allegedly berated Willey before “violently” affixing Notices of Violation to a fiberglass cover on his boat, damaging the boat cover.

Webb subsequently filed for an Extreme Risk Protective Order (“ERPO”) to have Willey’s firearms and ammunition confiscated, alleging threats, which Willey steadfastly denies. The complaint accuses Webb of committing perjury resulting in seizure of Willey’s firearms and ammunition and forcing Willey to endure a humiliating involuntary mental health evaluation. The lawsuit alleges Willey’s constitutional rights were violated for nearly two weeks, after which his firearms were returned.

“This is the sort of nonsense we have repeatedly warned about,” said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “These so-called ‘red flag laws’ can be abused and weaponized against private citizens who have done nothing wrong. It is an outrage.”

Likewise, SAF Executive Director Adam Kraut said, “Red flag laws are based on the inherently Orwellian belief that you can take actions against someone for an alleged crime that hasn’t occurred. Such laws authorize seizure and punishment for a crime nobody committed but which could occur at some place and time in the future. This may work in a science fiction movie, but should not be allowed in real life.”

Last edited:

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Good, my bride got Red flagged a few years back over a totally made up story. The safe and guns at my house were not dicked with but it still pissed me off

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Good, my bride got Red flagged a few years back over a totally made up story. The safe and guns at my house were not dicked with but it still pissed me off
    Holy shit

Your bride is the most colorful person to ever attend a MDS meetup

I must hear this story at the next go-round

And pray for a ghastly death to the people filing this red flag order

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Wonderful news!

I really can’t imagine this passing muster under Bruen. The only argument is “interest of public safety” but they can’t make that argument in light of Bruen.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    That's how stupid arrogant and ignorant leadership here in the county is.
    Some time ago I wrote here Newell and that Baltimore based Ag Sec were the tip of the Iceberg and more would come to light.
    Its way way bad and everyone here knows it but are afraid to say anything becuase they also know what they'll get, because of poor oversight and leadership on a multi governmental tier.
    SAF needs to communicate with non members who are residents of the county to learn what they really need to know. Social media on a hunting forum would be immensely advantageous if they aren't intentionally silenced.
    Or just look at some court docket's to find out who they need as members and encourage those persons to speak out to someone in a professional legal capacity from their organization.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    SAF Executive Director Adam Kraut said, “Red flag laws are based on the inherently Orwellian belief that you can take actions against someone for an alleged crime that hasn’t occurred. Such laws authorize seizure and punishment for a crime nobody committed but which could occur at some place and time in the future. This may work in a science fiction movie, but should not be allowed in real life.”

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I really can’t imagine this passing muster under Bruen. The only argument is “interest of public safety” but they can’t make that argument in light of Bruen.
    Sadly, they CAN and do make that argument, while knowing that it must ultimately fail. Meanwhile, the court system grinds slowly on, and they wait for the electoral process to be totally compromised in their favor. At that time, the SCOTUS will eventually be returned to a Progressive echo chamber.

At least, that seems to be the current default plan.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    We need this. The critters pulling Joe Biden's strings have been pushing for federal red flag laws since he took office. Some folks in congress actually don't want to be on the losing side of a court case. This lawsuit might kick the can down the road several years before the folks in DC will vote on a federal infraction.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    This case sounds eerily similar to harassment @welder516 suffered. Inspector with over-inflated sense of importance using the system to abuse someone she didn’t like? Perjuring herself by claiming threats were made that weren’t? People like this shouldn’t have ANY power over the rest of us.

Government Karen’s…SMH.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I wonder why Webb was so out for blood for Willey?
    Some rich man north of Richmond probably wants his property down there to Fishing Creek.
    And, I bet one of those dirt bag commissioners had something to do with this below Judge Melvin Jews Chamber.
    Im telling ya, the whole frickin county leadership is out of control all the way down to the Sheriffs department.
    SAF needs to be hipped to a few more tidbits for how they operate and they have a huge chance to get involved in ancillary matters that exhibit the same pattern of behavior.
    Webb aint no Karen, she's just a full blown idiot who operates in a completely unchecked manner and has inserted herself unwittingly into a pile of sh!t on someone else's behalf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom