• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    From a political standpoint, looking defeat in the eyes, one would think that the AG would be advocating (if he already hasn't been behind closed doors) "Shall Issue" through the legislation, since it takes the onus of the issue off of his shoulders. He can then go back to clinging to the mantra that he was "just doing his job", and continues to do so, rather than continuing the political route, by; conjoling, stone-walling, and obfuscation.

Using that theory, HB45 would have sailed through the judiciary committee.

I honestly think the AG believes he's right on the issue, and damn the constitution because of his progressive views.

ThumperIII

Jun 11, 2009
    Maryland
    Anyone heard any rumblings from the legislative side? Like trying to get some last minute carry restrictive laws enacted to counter a state loss in the courts? Or are the MD legislators even aware of how their legal case is turning?

Sort of OK you can carry a firearm, BUT.... (complex duty to retreat or 'gun printing' = loss of carry rights)

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    Anyone heard any rumblings from the legislative side? Like trying to get some last minute carry restrictive laws enacted to counter a state loss in the courts? Or are the MD legislators even aware of how their legal case is turning?

Sort of OK you can carry a firearm, BUT.... (complex duty to retreat or 'gun printing' = loss of carry rights)

I am not an expert and I have know knowledge of what is happening in Annapolis, but I would think it highly unlikely that this is occurring.

My guess is that there is a deadline of submitting bills to be acted on in the session and that deadline most likely has passed.

Further, I have to believe that there are a few right thinking politicians in Annapolis and they realize that rushing legislation through that has not been properly reviewed could do more harm than good. It is possible that they could mess things up so bad that Judge Legg has no other choice but to invalidate a huge swath of Maryland law and substitute his own permitting scheme.

In fact, I think that most legislatures probably hope that Judge Legg doesn't issue a ruling until after the session has ended. That would give them eight months to digest his ruling and determine a course of action.

Mucking with the law while it is under judicial review may have consequences that no one can predict. In addition, by changing the law while it is being challenged in court, the legislature is basically admitting that the law is wrong. That doesn't help to strengthen their position when arguing their case in front of the judge.

AG: "Your honor, we know we are right."

Judge: "Then why did the legislature just change the law?"

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I am not an expert and I have know knowledge of what is happening in Annapolis, but I would think it highly unlikely that this is occurring.

My guess is that there is a deadline of submitting bills to be acted on in the session and that deadline most likely has passed.

Further, I have to believe that there are a few right thinking politicians in Annapolis and they realize that rushing legislation through that has not been properly reviewed could do more harm than good. It is possible that they could mess things up so bad that Judge Legg has no other choice but to invalidate a huge swath of Maryland law and substitute his own permitting scheme.

In fact, I think that most legislatures probably hope that Judge Legg doesn't issue a ruling until after the session has ended. That would give them eight months to digest his ruling and determine a course of action.

Mucking with the law while it is under judicial review may have consequences that no one can predict. In addition, by changing the law while it is being challenged in court, the legislature is basically admitting that the law is wrong. That doesn't help to strengthen their position when arguing their case in front of the judge.

AG: "Your honor, we know we are right."

Judge: "Then why did the legislature just change the law?"
    Which, for appeal, is why we want the US Senate to pass legislation and force the President to offer or deny his signature on this issue (especially in an election year). Can you imagine what that would do to the appellate courts with the pending and to come review processes of the states that are may issue or no issue (IL & DC).

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    No way in hell would that kjnd of federal legislation happen. The power players will pressure congress to NOT play with fire or Obama reelection. That sort of bill might pass the house but not the senate anyway, but who needs that?

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    I agree it would not be hard. Simple even. And that actually works for on the balance of the equities prong.

agreed. how could the state argue that it could issue the permits but then have no recourse to revoking them? It's not like they don't already have our names, addresses, phone numbers, SSNs, etc, etc.

Gee your honor, we could give 'em out but golly gosh dang it, we're too dumb to figure out how to get 'em back!

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    No way in hell would that kjnd of federal legislation happen. The power players will pressure congress to NOT play with fire or Obama reelection. That sort of bill might pass the house but not the senate anyway, but who needs that?
    Never say never...remember, it only failed by 1 vote the last time it was tried. It is being tried again (as there is another bill sponsored by a few key dems) currently in the Senate. Stranger things my friend, stranger things.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    It was written by the brady campaign; literally.

Pure garbage in that "void of the facts", he offers his facts based on the lack thereof?

The Brady Bunch is going to hold this kid up as a martyr for sainthood. For all we know, he came after the guy verbalizing his intent to do bodily harm, or worse. Then there is somewhere in the middle. Who knows, if the guy hadn't had the gun, maybe it would be his obituary we'd be reading.

Wait for the facts.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Anyone have any guess on how long it will take for a transcript of tomorrow's conference call to be made available?

(shameless attempt at getting this back on track and off of the Florida neighborhood watch incident)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom