• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Sorta back to square one in Cal and the Ninth Circuit.

So is this the new stalling tactic for the anti-gunners?

Try to drag out the court case as much as possible, then drop the law to moot the case. This case wasted 13 years. Man, I don't think I even have any whiskey that old anymore.

So, make me feel good and tell me I'm wrong.... please?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So is this the new stalling tactic for the anti-gunners?

Try to drag out the court case as much as possible, then drop the law to moot the case. This case wasted 13 years. Man, I don't think I even have any whiskey that old anymore.

So, make me feel good and tell me I'm wrong.... please?

Nope, you aren't wrong. Just a little premature. Let's wait until we actually have an order from the 9th Circuit en banc panel. I have not listened to the tape yet. In the meantime, stock up on 20 year old Scotch. Seriously, the defendant can pretty much moot a case at any time in these types of cases simply by the legislative body repealing the statute or regulation under attack. See Article III, case or controversy provisions of the Constitution.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    Nope, you aren't wrong. Just a little premature. Let's wait until we actually have an order from the 9th Circuit en banc panel. I have not listened to the tape yet. In the meantime, stock up on 20 year old Scotch. Seriously, the defendant can pretty much moot a case at any time in these types of cases simply by the legislative body repealing the statute or regulation under attack. See Article III, case or controversy provisions of the Constitution.

Interesting. the anti-gunners, seeing the writing on the wall and the way SCOTUS has been breaking on this issue will try to avoid a case that loses at the SCT level and ends up having a broader impact to all states.

I'm actually hoping our AG and his boss decide to push the issue.

Rossi357

Mar 8, 2012
    Sandy Eggo

Would anything stop them from, after repealing the statute, reinstating it at a later date? It not, this could go on forever.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Would anything stop them from, after repealing the statute, to reinstate it at a later date? It not, this could go on forever.

That's one of the reasons we want a judicial solution. Gura asked for an injunction not only against the current law, but against any future reiterations of the current law.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Interesting. the anti-gunners, seeing the writing on the wall and the way SCOTUS has been breaking on this issue will try to avoid a case that loses at the SCT level and ends up having a broader impact to all states.

I'm actually hoping our AG and his boss decide to push the issue.

The State, of course, knows all this. The legislative session ends April 9 so they have little time....

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Would anything stop them from, after repealing the statute, reinstating it at a later date? It not, this could go on forever.

Actually, nothing actually stops them from doing that, legally. At some point, the courts will get quite impatient with it, though. It's dumb and stinks of bad faith.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    That's one of the reasons we want a judicial solution. Gura asked for an injunction not only against the current law, but against any future reiterations of the current law.

The real solution is to actually seek compensatory damages. Repeal doesn't moot that. Such damages are not sought in Woollard, at least that I can see in the Amended complaint. There are good reasons for that. Damages are just hard to specify in these types of cases.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Actually, nothing actually stops them from doing that, legally. At some point, the courts will get quite impatient with it, though. It's dumb and stinks of bad faith.

I thought Gura specifically addressed that in his request for injunction. If the judge agrees....doesn't that foil that as a possible "plan" by Gansler and Co?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I thought Gura specifically addressed that in his request for injunction. If the judge agrees....doesn't that foil that as a possible "plan" by Gansler and Co?

Nope. Not really. A case can become moot at any time. Mootness requires dismissal. it is jurisdictional. As noted above, it is actually easier to moot a case that seeks only injunctive relief. A claim for compensatory damages would not be mooted by repeal.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom