• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Sooooooo... back on topic.

From what I can gleen from various postings on the interwebs :D , the State gets a chance for rebutal (this week?) and then the Judge should make a ruling on the "stay" as well as adding "clarity" to his ruling (next week?).

Any other update/summary?

Sorry bout that. We Are gun nuts after all, right? We can't help ourselves. :D

That sums it up pretty well. As to when the court will rule the most you can say is "probably soon". Depends on when the judge can get to it. This isn't simple. Gura is asking the court for an actual injunction now under the 4 part test.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    1911?

I have a USP compact 40 that fits my big hands well..but its not a light or small gun and im tall/thin. Im around 6'2" and 180.

I have fairly large hands as well. Can almost palm a basketball. But my carry piece (when I OC in Delaware) is a Springfield EMP in .40 S&W. Fits my hand very well.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    If indeed the state can't meet the "4 part test", is the injunction pretty much guarenteed or is it up to the discretion of the judge?

There are two inquiries. Gura is now making clear on clarification that he would like the judge to issue an actual injunction (as opposed to just a declaratory judgment), enjoining the state from applying 5(ii) and requiring the state to give Mr. Woollard his permit. Gura has to meet the 4 part test too. Now the State has the same problem To get a stay pending appeal from even the declaratory judgment, they have to meet basically the same 4 part test test. It is worded a little differently for stays than for injunctions but is essentially the same 4 part test. The two tests inquire into different aspect of the problems of the issue. For example, Gura has to show irreparable injury (that's presumed here). The state has to show it it likely to succeed on the merits on the appeal. The papers filed by the STate and Gura set out the tests pretty well.

Now the burden of proof is always on the party requesting the relief. To get the injunction, the burden is on Gura, to get a stay, the burden is on the State. It is perfectly possible to hold that neither party has met their burdens, thus Gura gets only a declaratory judgment and the state does not get a stay. I would call that a win, btw. In assessing and applying the 4 part test in each instance, the judge is using his "equitable discretion." If judge Legg denies a stay pending appeal, that is a big advantage when the state asks the 4th Circuit to issue a stay. The courts of appeals tend to defer to the district court on such matters. Not iron-clad, though. Nothing is iron-clad in these cases.

Last edited:

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    How do people take them serious with a record like that???

Because the Circuit Courts of Appeal, of which that Court is one, are the second highest federal courts in the land. A party does not have a right to have his case reviewed beyond the Circuit Court level, except in very rare cases. For the Supreme Court to review, it must issue a writ of certiorari to the lower court to review the case. Certiorari is an extremely rare animal. If the Nutty Ninth makes some crazy holding, there's a good chance it will become the law of at least that circuit, and it may be years before there's a conflict dire enough to cause the Supreme Court to review it. And, there's an inertia to any precedent, good or bad. While a Ninth Circuit holding may not be binding upon another circuit, or a district court within another circuit, those holdings will certainly be argued to be persuasive authority.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Because the Circuit Courts of Appeal, of which that Court is one, are the second highest federal courts in the land. A party does not have a right to have his case reviewed beyond the Circuit Court level, except in very rare cases. For the Supreme Court to review, it must issue a writ of certiorari to the lower court to review the case. Certiorari is an extremely rare animal. If the Nutty Ninth makes some crazy holding, there's a good chance it will become the law of at least that circuit, and it may be years before there's a conflict dire enough to cause the Supreme Court to review it. And, there's an inertia to any precedent, good or bad. While a Ninth Circuit holding may not be binding upon another circuit, or a district court within another circuit, those holdings will certainly be argued to be persuasive authority.

Yup. That's exactly right

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom