• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I bought one when they first came out back in 1988. Back then they were only offered in .38+P+s. Great little gun. I did have to send it back to Ruger due to the bullets would shave on their way to the barrel. The little gun would belch flames and debris out past the cylinder/barrel gap. Ruger corrected the issue. It was my primary home defense gun but has since been replaced by a Glock. It still is a great backup gun, sitting loaded if ever needed to protect my family.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I was looking at these yesterday. The SP101 is a great little gun, all steel with a very nice DA trigger, even if it is not a Smith! But under a 4 inch barrel on a .357 Magnum does not make much sense. The new model offers a barrel just over 4" with a fiber optic sight. With 3 inches, a lot of your powder goes to waste and you lose velocity. I have a couple Blackhawks and you can never go wrong with a Ruger. They will last much longer than a life time if properly cared for.

I respectfully disagree. While a short barrel .357 Magnum may not have the same level of performance that a 4" or longer one does it will certainly exceed that of a .38 special (even +p) with a short barrel. I personally prefer Glock semi-autos for every day carry but there is no way one could go wrong with a .357 magnum SP101 as a self defense tool.

The LCR has an even shorter barrel (under 2") and is not even a little bit of fun to shoot with .357 Magnum loads due to its light weight. Most .357 Magnum LCR owners I know carry the LCR loaded with .38 special +p. There are some excellent loads in .38 special but none reach the level of .357 Magnum performance IMHO. Most concealed carriers are not going to choose a 4" barrel revolver of any make/model.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I respectfully disagree. While a short barrel .357 Magnum may not have the same level of performance that a 4" or longer one does it will certainly exceed that of a .38 special (even +p) with a short barrel. I personally prefer Glock semi-autos for every day carry but there is no way one could go wrong with a .357 magnum SP101 as a self defense tool.

The LCR has an even shorter barrel (under 2") and is not even a little bit of fun to shoot with .357 Magnum loads due to its light weight. Most .357 Magnum LCR owners I know carry the LCR loaded with .38 special +p. There are some excellent loads in .38 special but none reach the level of .357 Magnum performance IMHO. Most concealed carriers are not going to choose a 4" barrel revolver of any make/model.

I'll give you that, it gives you more than a .38 Special. 3"bbl. could be okay, but 2" is definitely painful to all involved.:D

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Lots of people complain about the triggers on Ruger wheelguns. In their defense, factory Ruger triggers are typically not as light and/or smooth as a Smith or a Colt.

But then I tell them that easier to do a trigger job on a Ruger to make it shoot like a Smith than it is to do a "built like a tank job" on a Smith to make it as solid as a Ruger.

:)

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Shooting .357 Magnum loads in a LCR (only a 1.88" barrel) is MUCH more painful than shooting them in a SP101 in the 2.25" or 3.06" configurations. The weight of the SP101 is helpful in reducing that significant recoil.

FreeState

Ultimate Member
    Oct 31, 2010
    White Marsh
    I was looking at these yesterday. The SP101 is a great little gun, all steel with a very nice DA trigger, even if it is not a Smith! But under a 4 inch barrel on a .357 Magnum does not make much sense. The new model offers a barrel just over 4" with a fiber optic sight. With 3 inches, a lot of your powder goes to waste and you lose velocity. I have a couple Blackhawks and you can never go wrong with a Ruger. They will last much longer than a life time if properly cared for.

It was mis-marked at $659. The correct price is $559 and that is what it is marked now. Glad I could get is straight.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    It was mis-marked at $659. The correct price is $559 and that is what it is marked now. Glad I could get is straight.

Ahh that's better - I thought I had a collector's piece in the making, and was going to ask for the one I gifted back from my sister :) BTW, you run a nice range, and I will be buying an annual membership in the near future. :thumbsup:

Noted your correction in my original post :)

Last edited:

Mr H

Banana'd
    Lots of people complain about the triggers on Ruger wheelguns. In their defense, factory Ruger triggers are typically not as light and/or smooth as a Smith or a Colt.

But then I tell them that easier to do a trigger job on a Ruger to make it shoot like a Smith than it is to do a "built like a tank job" on a Smith to make it as solid as a Ruger.

:)

Interesting...

While I've not handled many Smiths, the 60 I have has a much heavier pull than either of our GP100s, or any SP101 I've tried

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Shooting .357 Magnum loads in a LCR (only a 1.88" barrel) is MUCH more painful than shooting them in a SP101 in the 2.25" or 3.06" configurations. The weight of the SP101 is helpful in reducing that significant recoil.

There should only be 6 rounds of .357 EVER fired from the LCR. The 5 you to test it with when you first get it and 1 at the threat you loaded it in there for :)

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Interesting...

While I've not handled many Smiths, the 60 I have has a much heavier pull than either of our GP100s, or any SP101 I've tried

Interesting indeed. I've had the opposite experience, but not with a 60. Factory Ruger triggers aren't horrible (certainly not as bad as the crap they get from Smith fanboys), they just tend to be long and heavy (i.e. "lawyer triggers"). At least their double-action pulls; their single-action pulls are usually good.

Did you buy your Rugers new or used? It's possible that the previous owners did work on them.

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    Interesting indeed. I've had the opposite experience, but not with a 60. Factory Ruger triggers aren't horrible (certainly not as bad as the crap they get from Smith fanboys), they just tend to be long and heavy (i.e. "lawyer triggers"). At least their double-action pulls; their single-action pulls are usually good. Did you buy your Rugers new or used? It's possible that the previous owners did work on them.

Bought brand new from Joebobs cause I couldn't find it anywhere locally during "the panic".

And personally I don't think the LCR is that hateful. Pretty fun little gun. But then I did play offensive line in college and am use to hitting people/getting my hands smashed.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Interesting indeed. I've had the opposite experience, but not with a 60. Factory Ruger triggers aren't horrible (certainly not as bad as the crap they get from Smith fanboys), they just tend to be long and heavy (i.e. "lawyer triggers"). At least their double-action pulls; their single-action pulls are usually good.

Did you buy your Rugers new or used? It's possible that the previous owners did work on them.

Agree on double v. single... a marked difference, but I still don't hate the double (which is the main reason the wife wanted to change).

Mine was bought new, hers was (barely) used

Jack5j

Nov 29, 2013
    Kent Island
    I just held my GP100 stainless with a 4.2" barrel tonight as I filled out my paperwork at my FFL's. I'll be trying her out at the range in 9 days. Seems like a great purchase.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I just held my GP100 stainless with a 4.2" barrel tonight as I filled out my paperwork at my FFL's. I'll be trying her out at the range in 9 days. Seems like a great purchase.

That's the next gun I'll be getting. Hopefully in the next month or so!

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    The GP100 is freaking sweet meat

It's built like a TANK. Hickok45 has one that he has something like 100K rounds through, and I have one that's been loaned around our circle of friends for the last few years with countless rounds through it, including defensive ammo and some INCREDIBLY stout reloads, some from manuals that state them as "Ruger only loads"

The gun is not just built solid, it also has, usually, a great factory trigger, and I have NEVER seen one go out of time. The longer barreled are extremely accurate.

Ruger makes great revolvers.

I used to have a super redhawk with a scope on it. That thing was literally a handheld rifle. I could honestly and literally not believe how accurate that handgun was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom