• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Call MSP and ask them, get the troopers name and extension...I suggest you ask for trooper Edwards and stay away from the lady that has communication issues.

dlmarion

Feb 6, 2013
    Carroll County
    That's what I thought when I bought it. I didn't say anything, figured the folks at OnTarget would know. Shame on me. But hey, im pre-registered now.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Not true, tell them they are wrong and ask them to call MSP. If he is worth his word, he can cancel the paper work and just run a NICS. They can do it,don't let them tell you they can't.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    That's what I thought when I bought it. I didn't say anything, figured the folks at OnTarget would know. Shame on me. But hey, im pre-registered now.

ON TARGET?!!! HAHAHA :lol2:

Those kids behind the counter know very little and they're attitudes have gotten significantly worse in the past year.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Uh neither are regulated. Both are .308 ARs (AR-10s) AR-10s are not regulated because they are not a copy of the AR-15 (the AR-15 is a variant based on the AR-10)

FIFY.

308 AR style rifles are not regulated by law. They are not specifically listed nor are they copies of anything listed. Anyone who tells you otherwise is ignorant of the law. If it is a dealer then find another dealer.

Jan 14, 2008
    I've been wondering the same thing, two of my friends bought the Smith & Wesson M&P 10 from different FFL's and were required to handle the transaction as a regulated firearm. If its not regulated, Im assuming that it is treated like a shotgun/bolt gun, and can legally be purchased from an FFL out of state?

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I've been wondering the same thing, two of my friends bought the Smith & Wesson M&P 10 from different FFL's and were required to handle the transaction as a regulated firearm. If its not regulated, Im assuming that it is treated like a shotgun/bolt gun, and can legally be purchased from an FFL out of state?

Yes, if you can find a dealer willing to sell it to you. Most don't know the MD laws well enough to take the gamble.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=835OWi-sH2U=&tabid=429&mid=1074
    § 5-101(p) Assault weapon.- "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific
    firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured that
    firearm:
    ( 1 ) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine
    ( 2 ) AK-47 in all forms
    ( 3 ) Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto
    ( 4 ) AR 100 type semi-auto
    ( 5 ) AR 180 type semi-auto
    ( 6 ) Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto
    ( 7 ) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto
    ( 8 ) Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics
    ( 9 ) Barrett light .50 cal. semi-auto
    (10) Beretta AR70 type semi-auto
    (11) Bushmaster semi-auto rifle
    (12) Calico models M-100 and M-900
    (13) CIS SR 88 type semi-auto
    (14) Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines
    (15) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle
    (16) Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K-1, and K-2
    (17) Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto
    (18) Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber)
    (19) Feather AT-9 semi-auto
    (20) FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle
    (21) FNC semi-auto type carbine
    (22) F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun
    (23) Steyr-AUG-SA semi-auto
    (24) Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto
    (25) Heckler and KOCH HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3
    (26) Holmes model 88 shotgun
    (27) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format
    (28) Manchester Arms "Commando" MK-45, MK-9
    (29) Mandell TAC-1 semi-auto carbine
    (30) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun
    (31) Sterling Mark 6 (32) P.A.W.S. carbine
    (33) Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber)
    (34) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber)
    (35) SKS with detachable magazine
    (36) AP-74 Commando type semi-auto
    (37) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding
    the M1 Garand
    (38) Street sweeper assault type shotgun
    (39) Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats
    (40) Unique F11 semi-auto type
    (41) Daewoo USAS 12 semi-auto shotgun
    (42) UZI 9mm carbine or rifle
    (43) Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto
    (44) Weaver Arms "Nighthawk" semi-auto carbine or
    (45) Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi-auto "Terry".
    neither is regulated. CERTAINLY not the REPR, which has nothing to do with anything on this list and is a prorietary lwrc design.

Smagel

Hey, hey, my, my
    Jul 20, 2011
    Freddy's Store
    Well, now I know.

My confusion seems to have been well placed.

Many thanks for the information.

Also, glad I'm not the only one befuddled by this.

Last edited:

SevernBob

It's All Boogered Up
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 17, 2012
    Severn
    It seems to vary. I was just told my le901 is regulated. I am now sad and have to wait 6-8 weeks to get her home. :-(

Hoping I can change their mind when I go to do they paperwork.

I had mine shipped to Barts after you pointed out the deal to me. It arrived today. I stopped by a couple hours ago, but they hadn't checked in the 40 or so shipments they got today. They just called me a couple minutes ago to say it's ready. They agree that it is NOT regulated. You might want to point out that Lou at Shooters and Barts do not consider it regulated. If they insist and you don't want to wait on paperwork, you might be able to transfer it at your cost.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I had mine shipped to Barts after you pointed out the deal to me. It arrived today. I stopped by a couple hours ago, but they hadn't checked in the 40 or so shipments they got today. They just called me a couple minutes ago to say it's ready. They agree that it is NOT regulated. You might want to point out that Lou at Shooters and Barts do not consider it regulated. If they insist and you don't want to wait on paperwork, you might be able to transfer it at your cost.

Good point. It may cost you as much or a little more than the normal regulated transfer cost but you wouldn't have the 6-8 week wait time.

Another avenue is to have it transferred to a dealer in a nearby state who knows the law and isn't beholden to the whims of the MSP. Not trying to put out any in state dealers especially those who follow the law as written just trying to point out other options.

Forthefunofit

Mar 25, 2013
    Ridgely, MD
    Divorce Averted!!!

Thank God! I was trying to figure out how to explain to my wife why I was going to spend $3k on a .308 between now and 10/1. I will just hold off and work on my SBR unless someone know for sure this is not an issue in this government toilet paper (I mean bill).

ToLows10

Dec 22, 2012
    Raising the dead a bit but I'm trading the engine in my racecar for a custom LE901 16s. Its not a regulated firearm in Md. (did plenty of research) but I'm having trouble finding a dealer (Middle River area) that will recognize the rifle as being unregulated. I'm getting the rifle from a higher up at Colt and after they have it built, they're going to have it shipped to a dealer of my choice. I went to 5 dealers in the Middle River area and they said it was either regulated, they knew it wasn't regulated but it would be if it went through their shop to make the MSP happy, or all colt firearms are regulated. I just want to pick my rifle up same day and not let the MSP have my $10 (nothing against the police). Does anyone know a dealer that ACTUALY knows the laws and is in it for the cause, not doing things just to impress the state police or to be on the safe side cause they don't know. Thanks.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Expand your search area, or ask a local IP (Industry Partner). There's bound to be at least 1 that'll help you out.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Thank God! I was trying to figure out how to explain to my wife why I was going to spend $3k on a .308 between now and 10/1. I will just hold off and work on my SBR unless someone know for sure this is not an issue in this government toilet paper (I mean bill).

Of course, then you run the issue of 1. Not having distributors ship those rifles to MD FFL's to Cover their asses. Which i think will be one of the biggest hurdles to MD residents. 2. A Dealer covering their ass by not taking ANY chances now that all black rifles are pretty much banned in MD at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom