• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Yes, related but looks much more widespread than just the 700 recall earlier this year, and the real problem has been disclosed:

"Under the settlement, which still must be approved by a judge, Remington has agreed to retrofit the rifles in question at no cost to the owner. Many users had new trigger mechanisms installed on their own, and Remington will reimburse them as part of the settlement. For guns that cannot be retrofitted, the company plans to offer vouchers for Remington products.

The settlement covers more than a dozen models, specifically the Model 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, 673, 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, XP-100, 721, 722 and 725.
    Remington's 700 series, which began with the Model 721 shortly after World War II, has been wildly popular not only with hunters and target shooters, but also with law enforcement and the U.S. military. The gun is prized for its accuracy and smooth operation, thanks to a unique trigger mechanism patented in the 1940s by Remington engineer Merle "Mike" Walker.
    While Walker contended the issue had to do with the manufacturing process and not his design, critics including firearms experts and plaintiffs' attorneys have argued that the same aspects of the design that allow the gun to fire so smoothly also make it possible for internal parts of the trigger to become misaligned, rendering the gun unsafe. Specifically, they cite a tiny part called a "trigger connector," which they say can become clogged with rust or debris. Under the settlement, Remington plans to replace the triggers with "connectorless" mechanisms—a similar fix to one Walker himself proposed in 1948.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Yes, related but looks much more widespread than just the 700 recall earlier this year, and the real problem has been disclosed:

"Under the settlement, which still must be approved by a judge, Remington has agreed to retrofit the rifles in question at no cost to the owner. Many users had new trigger mechanisms installed on their own, and Remington will reimburse them as part of the settlement. For guns that cannot be retrofitted, the company plans to offer vouchers for Remington products.

The settlement covers more than a dozen models, specifically the Model 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, 673, 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, XP-100, 721, 722 and 725.
    Remington's 700 series, which began with the Model 721 shortly after World War II, has been wildly popular not only with hunters and target shooters, but also with law enforcement and the U.S. military. The gun is prized for its accuracy and smooth operation, thanks to a unique trigger mechanism patented in the 1940s by Remington engineer Merle "Mike" Walker.
    While Walker contended the issue had to do with the manufacturing process and not his design, critics including firearms experts and plaintiffs' attorneys have argued that the same aspects of the design that allow the gun to fire so smoothly also make it possible for internal parts of the trigger to become misaligned, rendering the gun unsafe. Specifically, they cite a tiny part called a "trigger connector," which they say can become clogged with rust or debris. Under the settlement, Remington plans to replace the triggers with "connectorless" mechanisms—a similar fix to one Walker himself proposed in 1948.

Base on this site: http://www.scribd.com/doc/249302745/Ian-Pollard-v-Remington-Arms-Company-settlement

what has been announced is a recall only affecting Class B in the Pollard lawsuit, i.e., the newer trigger. Class A is the Walker trigger which affects not only the 700's but the 600, xp100's 78's 721's and more.

I don't understand what happened to the Class A part of the settlement, nor why Remington would not announce that part of the recall immediately. The Pollard rifle was a 2000 mod 700.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Unless you want a custom 2 stage or set trigger, IMO NOTHING beats a properly setup factory Remington 700 trigger pack, whether its the older packs or the XMark packs.

Aftermarket triggers offer nothing IMO.

As a well respected and earned gunsmith on the board, do you believe there is a design flaw with the 700's trigger? Or is it likely user negligence/error? Just wondering. Mine has never gone boom with pulling the trigger.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    As a well respected and earned gunsmith on the board, do you believe there is a design flaw with the 700's trigger? Or is it likely user negligence/error? Just wondering. Mine has never gone boom with pulling the trigger.

I found this on the web www.rifflawfirm.com/areas/pdf/remington4.pdf
    Edit I should have added, the above explains how the trigger connector is the problem and leads to the malfunction.
    Note the website is a law firm but as we know in MD, if you have a phone or computer, you have a lawyer.

Last edited:

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    FWIW, Remington just issued a statement on this whole mess:

"Yesterday afternoon, CNBC erroneously reported that Remington Arms was recalling 7.85 million rifles. This report was fundamentally inaccurate and, once again, CNBC did not comply with the most basic tenet of reporting – fact checking. Even a cursory review of the court filings would have revealed CNBC’s errors. That said, other news sources picked-up and repeated the misinformation about the proposed settlement. In response, the Plaintiffs’ counsel immediately took steps to correct CNBC’s inaccuracies by clarifying the terms of the proposed settlement in their own press release, which, in part, stated:

These settlements are not recalls.
    These settlements are not any admission that the products are defective or unsafe.
    This economic settlement provides an avenue for consumers, who have certain Remington rifles, to voluntarily have a new trigger installed. As noted by the Plaintiffs, the benefits provided by the settlement will not be in place until after court approval.

Remington is issuing this press release today because it is important that the terms of the proposed economic settlement be accurately described, as Remington does not want its customers to be confused or misled.

Further, and contrary to CNBC’s story, it is undisputed that the Remington Model 700 is the best-selling American-made, bolt-action rifle of all time. The Model 700 has also been and continues to be the tactical sniper rifle of choice for the U.S. armed forces and special operators and is widely used by state and federal law enforcement agencies."

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have 1 that I sent back already and 1 more that is eligible. After what I went through to get the first one done, there is no way in hell I'll be sending in the second.

Ups lost my rifle for 3 weeks... Police were involved... Then after it was found in Missouri of a all places it still took 6 weeks to get it back from remington.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have 1 that I sent back already and 1 more that is eligible. After what I went through to get the first one done, there is no way in hell I'll be sending in the second.

Ups lost my rifle for 3 weeks... Police were involved... Then after it was found in Missouri of a all places it still took 6 weeks to get it back from remington.

Yea... Eff that noise....

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Remington is issuing this press release today because it is important that the terms of the proposed economic settlement be accurately described, as Remington does not want its customers to be confused or misled.

a) There is no such press release on the Remington website. Not saying they didn't issue one, but it's not to be found by the average joe.
    b) "The Plainitiff's counsel" those are the guys suing Remington, said it wasn't a recall. Remington calls it a recall on the website.
    c) If there are been no final determination by the courts, then everyone, CNBC, the plaintiff's lawyer and Remington are blowing smoke up our nether regions.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    a) There is no such press release on the Remington website. Not saying they didn't issue one, but it's not to be found by the average joe.
    b) "The Plainitiff's counsel" those are the guys suing Remington, said it wasn't a recall. Remington calls it a recall on the website.
    c) If there are been no final determination by the courts, then everyone, CNBC, the plaintiff's lawyer and Remington are blowing smoke up our nether regions.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news...s/remington correction of cnbc reporting.aspx

There's your link. That is odd that it's not coming up in the press release section even though this clearly shows it there. You can find it through their Facebook page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom