Relocating to NC, handgun purchase, and what a difference a state makes….

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hi all. I was treated as _not_ being an assumed criminal last week (hint-it wasn’t in Maryland!). I’m in the process of relocating from Maryland, where I’ve resided all my 60 years, to North Carolina and I wanted to see what it was like to purchase a handgun. After obtaining my North Carolina drivers permit to establish my new residence, I walked into the local gun shop to inquire about my firearm manufacturer of choice, Sig Sauer, and to see what my options were. After deciding on the P365 I followed him over to the opposite side of the store, handed him my license and filled out the 4473, and browsed the store for 10 or 15 minutes until my name was called over the intercom. I returned to the counter along with an extra magazine to purchase (the pistol comes with 12 round mags so I picked up an additional 10 round mag in the event I travel to the ’other’ parts of America again), and handed over my credit card. The purchase was completed and I was in/out of that store no longer than 20 minutes with my new pistol. Living in Maryland I’ve never experienced such a thing! And you can walk into a store here, from the local gun shop to one of the national chains such as Bass Pro or Cabela’s, and the racks are filled with scary looking black semi-auto rifles! Unfortunate circumstances had me leave my home state, and I’m going to miss many things about it other than the political environment, but it sure was nice being treated like a non-criminal adult, for probably the first time in my life, when purchasing a firearm. I’ll still be rooting for my home state’s citizens to be treated this way one day, but unfortunately it’s going to take huge changes to the legislature where the law abiding folks aren’t treated as criminals while the criminals are coddled.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    True story^^^--

Same in Tennessee. Last month one of my LGSs had about a dozen Hk Vp9s sitting out in the open in the middle of the sales floor-- no locks, no glass.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Welcome, y’all!

Now make sure you vote - and make sure you explain to others why it is absolutely CRITICAL EVERYONE in NC VOTE FOR MARK ROBINSON FOR GOVERNOR of NC!!!!!

He is Black
    He is staunchly Conservative
    He is Outspoken

And he has the DNC‘s heads explaining and wallet$$$$$$ opening!

I do believe (anyone feel free to point me out wrong) that the # 1 battleground for the DNC this cycle is doing whatever is necessary to keep Mark Robinson from ascending to the Governors mansion!!!!!

Bllombturd and $oro$ are pumping Big Money into anti-2A Josh Stein’s campaign

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I'm from North Carolina originally, and I moved back to NC from 2010-2012 to attend grad school. Sadly, I never bought a handgun the entire time I was there because of the purchase permit requirements - fortunately, I had some handguns that I bought when I lived in Texas and brought back with me. It's annoying to me that I now live in MD where I need to get the HQL, while my home state just got rid of its own similar infringement...

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Welcome, y’all!

Now make sure you vote - and make sure you explain to others why it is absolutely CRITICAL EVERYONE in NC VOTE FOR MARK ROBINSON FOR GOVERNOR of NC!!!!!
    Strong second for Mark Robinson.

Met him at the 10th Anniversary of Heller demonstration at SCOTUS. His speech was amazing, and I'm sure I was not the first to beg him to run for public office.

The fact that his very first campaign put him in the Lt. Governor's office is a demonstration of his strong appeal to voters, and that is based on his strength of character and his oratorical ability. He's the only politician who gets money from me, and I donate regularly to his campaign.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland

Met him at the 10th Anniversary of Heller demonstration at SCOTUS. His speech was amazing, and I'm sure I was not the first to beg him to run for public office.

The fact that his very first campaign put him in the Lt. Governor's office is a demonstration of his strong appeal to voters, and that is based on his strength of character and his oratorical ability. He's the only politician who gets money from me, and I donate regularly to his campaign.
    The man is an impressive speaker and doubly so in person. Would love to see him make it to the Governors mansion and then potentially run for president. Leftists HATE him.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I was also there with my esteemed colleague from Takoma Park and second his sentiments. He would make a great president.

Congrats on the new gat OP.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Hi all. I was treated as _not_ being an assumed criminal last week (hint-it wasn’t in Maryland!). I’m in the process of relocating from Maryland, where I’ve resided all my 60 years, to North Carolina and I wanted to see what it was like to purchase a handgun. After obtaining my North Carolina drivers permit to establish my new residence, I walked into the local gun shop to inquire about my firearm manufacturer of choice, Sig Sauer, and to see what my options were. After deciding on the P365 I followed him over to the opposite side of the store, handed him my license and filled out the 4473, and browsed the store for 10 or 15 minutes until my name was called over the intercom. I returned to the counter along with an extra magazine to purchase (the pistol comes with 12 round mags so I picked up an additional 10 round mag in the event I travel to the ’other’ parts of America again), and handed over my credit card. The purchase was completed and I was in/out of that store no longer than 20 minutes with my new pistol. Living in Maryland I’ve never experienced such a thing! And you can walk into a store here, from the local gun shop to one of the national chains such as Bass Pro or Cabela’s, and the racks are filled with scary looking black semi-auto rifles! Unfortunate circumstances had me leave my home state, and I’m going to miss many things about it other than the political environment, but it sure was nice being treated like a non-criminal adult, for probably the first time in my life, when purchasing a firearm. I’ll still be rooting for my home state’s citizens to be treated this way one day, but unfortunately it’s going to take huge changes to the legislature where the law abiding folks aren’t treated as criminals while the criminals are coddled.
    Well, when criminals run the state (face it, Dems are thugs and protect their constituency, which are also criminals), that's what you get. MD may be changing. I have run across more and more Conservative Right Wing minorities of late.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Well, when criminals run the state (face it, Dems are thugs and protect their constituency, which are also criminals), that's what you get. MD may be changing. I have run across more and more Conservative Right Wing minorities of late.

As someone married to a person of color (well, kinda), I've noticed the same. My wife is an old-school Democrat who despises the woke left, and her brother is conservative.

Democrats in general seem to overestimate and take minority support for granted. I find that many minorities from my generation (Millennials), in particular, are getting a bit sick of how much they pander to the Wokerati and the dregs of our society.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Every time I drive back to Nebraska to visit family, we tend to stop in Iowa City at the end of the first day of the drive, and we usually get there sometime around 7:30-8:00 local time. There's a big Scheels at the mall there and we'll go in to see what they have in the reloading section - they tend to stock lots of stuff for Dillon reloaders.

In any case, the gun department in that store is well stocked, and all of the long guns are out in the open - anyone can pick one up, shoulder it, check the balance, etc. It's a refreshing shift from here where you're practically treated like a criminal for even thinking about purchasing a gun of any type.

Welcome, y’all!

He is Black
    He is staunchly Conservative
    He is Outspoken

And he has the DNC‘s heads explaining and wallet$$$$$$ opening!

I do believe (anyone feel free to point me out wrong) that the # 1 battleground for the DNC this cycle is doing whatever is necessary to keep Mark Robinson from ascending to the Governors mansion!!!!!

Bllombturd and $oro$ are pumping Big Money into anti-2A Josh Stein’s campaign
    I know of him and my mom likes him. That’s another thing. I may feel like my vote actually counts for the first time in a long time here in NC.

Yeah, just look now. The teens are off the hook with carjackings and flash mob thefts, created in part by loose enforcement of law & order via the Dem-controlled legislative sessions, and now they’re backpedaling trying to take the focus off themselves while they come up with another scheme to save face and look like they’re doing something.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    …the Dem-controlled legislative sessions, and now they’re backpedaling trying to take the focus off themselves while they come up with another scheme to save face and look like they’re doing something.

Standby and Be Prepared: love him or hate him, it is Undeniable - there is a tsunami of support for former President Trump RE-occurring nationwide including demographics never previously considered seriously and the Deep State and DNC is Scared Witless - count on them to pull out all stops between now and NOV 24 - we already know There Is Nothing That They Won’t Do

defacto DNC Gestapo made up of armed BurnLootMurderAntifaAlphabetConfused turned loose

riots (are likely gonna make the “mostly peaceful” Summer of 2020 really peaceful

another pandemic

China invades Taiwan

most normal people can’t even think in terms of the diabolical lengths the Deep State & DNC are willing to go, to prevent ever again losing control the way they did, the night Shillary was denied the throne!

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Yeah, just look now. The teens are off the hook with carjackings and flash mob thefts, created in part by loose enforcement of law & order via the Dem-controlled legislative sessions, and now they’re backpedaling trying to take the focus off themselves while they come up with another scheme to save face and look like they’re doing something.
    Governor Moore-on recently disbanded the Baltimore group Hogan instituted to fight juvenile crime, and reconstituted it with Ex-Guv Glendening in charge of it. Guaranteed failure. Not that Hogan's was assured of success, but Moore-on was so ego driven he just HAD to make it as his idea.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    As someone married to a person of color (well, kinda), I've noticed the same. My wife is an old-school Democrat who despises the woke left, and her brother is conservative.

Democrats in general seem to overestimate and take minority support for granted. I find that many minorities from my generation (Millennials), in particular, are getting a bit sick of how much they pander to the Wokerati and the dregs of our society.
    I live in Bowie, and we recently had our city elections. One evening, two middle aged Black women came to the door campaigning for a candidate to replace a woke idiot on our city council. I got talking to them, and BOTH were to the right of me, had gotten their carry permits, wanted Trump back, and saw the Dems as racist bigots intent on destroying America and the Black community. There is hope.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I live in Bowie, and we recently had our city elections. One evening, two middle aged Black women came to the door campaigning for a candidate to replace a woke idiot on our city council. I got talking to them, and BOTH were to the right of me, had gotten their carry permits, wanted Trump back, and saw the Dems as racist bigots intent on destroying America and the Black community. There is hope.
    I've noticed (anecdotally - I don't have any hard data) that there seems to be a real shift within minority populations that used to be staunch and bankable democrat votes. The shift in the Hispanic community has been interesting, and more and more I'm seeing it in the Black community, who seems to be waking up to the fact that Democratic politicians make promises that they don't keep, and don't do anything to help in inner cities - it's just more of the same.

I don't know if it will be enough to overcome it in many major cities, but I do remain hopeful.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    In the inbox today:

Poll: Robinson ahead of Stein in 2024 governor's race

Republican Mark Robinson - 41.5%
    Democrat Josh Stein - 40.8%

Despite only recently launching my campaign, we’ve already built a lead over our Democrat opponent…but it is razor-thin.

This is going to be the closest race in the entire nation, and I need your support if we are going to make history!

Whether you can spare $100 or just $1, I’d appreciate anything you can give to help us build our lead.

DONATE $100
    DONATE $1

This campaign isn’t about me. It is about YOU and sending a loud and clear message to the Democrat Establishment that WE are the majority!

Thank you for all you have already done for our campaign. Let’s keep up the work!

Paid for by Friends of Mark Robinson

Business donations are not allowed. Donations must be made by individuals and cannot exceed $6,400 for the cycle. Donations are not tax-deductible.

By adding your name and providing your email and phone number, you agree to receive emails and/or text messages about how you can contribute to or get involved with Friends of Mark Robinson. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.

PO Box 473967
    Charlotte, NC 28247

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Welcome to NC (America), fellow former MDer! Moving here was THE BEST thing I've ever done. It's so insulting going back up north, not just with guns and a million other things, but especially with their styrofoam and bag restrictions. In this year's budget, NC passed a ban on container/bag bans. It's like living in Opposite Land. I love it!

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Hoping to move to NC at some point. Folks there are nice. Taxes are reasonable and the politics is rational. What a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom