Recommendations for suppressors for "pinning and welding" (5.56 and rimfire)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bartojb1

Dec 25, 2009
    PA
    I am looking for recommendations for two suppressors, both to be pinned and welded. one for 5.56, and one for rimfire.

I can go with either 10.5" or 11.5" barrel lengths on the 5.56. I have no length restrictions for the rimfire, as I expect that I will need a gunsmith to cut the barrel to a custom length.

Any suggestions?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    For 5.56 I would get whatever the cheapest direct thread suppressor I could find. (As long as it's rated for your barrel length). The extra money for suppressors is really so you can use it on multiple platforms.

The rimfire one is another issue. You would need a monocore so you can keep the needed length when you take off the shroud to clean it. Other than that, I would think about how it gets attached which means you are probably looking for a SS suppressor. Again buy the cheapest that fits the criteria, it does not need to be rated for full auto or 5.7. Just for what it is attached to.

bartojb1

Dec 25, 2009
    PA
    Rimfire: m&p15/22 rifle

For both: I want to meet minimum barrel lengths via pin and weld without needing to SBR them.

Also a possibility, since I have nearly 1k rounds of (gifted, yet unsold via classifieds) 5.7x28, is a Ruger lc carbine.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Rimfire: m&p15/22 rifle

For both: I want to meet minimum barrel lengths via pin and weld without needing to SBR them.

Also a possibility, since I have nearly 1k rounds of (gifted, yet unsold via classifieds) 5.7x28, is a Ruger lc carbine.
    Just make sure the suppressor you buy has a collar through which to pin.

I don't recommend one can doing double duty as long as one of those hosts is a rim fire. Really should be two cans.

Last edited:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Rimfire can doesnt need to be monocore. You can pin the threaded cap to the bbl and pin the sleeve to the cap. Need to make 16" length with the front cap removed.

bartojb1

Dec 25, 2009
    PA
    Rimfire can doesnt need to be monocore. You can pin the threaded cap to the bbl and pin the sleeve to the cap. Need to make 16" length with the front cap removed.
    smdub,
    Understood!
    monocore or not, I am finding it difficult either with, what i would think, is a appropriate collar to meet the length requirements.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have you looked around for suppressor shrouds? You pin and weld the shroud to the barrel and screw the can onto/into the shroud. That enables you to remove the can for servicing and cleaning.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    ^^^great example is the Tactical solutions barrel and shroud loved mine and looked cool barrel was 10.5 or so and they weld on the shroud to rifle length can screeed
    Right In

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Have you looked around for suppressor shrouds? You pin and weld the shroud to the barrel and screw the can onto/into the shroud. That enables you to remove the can for servicing and cleaning.
    This is the way to go for rimfire. I would never P&W a rimfire suppressor.

I think it's a little more reasonable to P&W a centerfire rifle suppressor.

bartojb1

Dec 25, 2009
    PA
    This is the way to go for rimfire. I would never P&W a rimfire suppressor.

I think it's a little more reasonable to P&W a centerfire rifle suppressor.
    erwos,
    Why is that? Suppressor material thickness? Barrel material thickness?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    erwos,
    Why is that? Suppressor material thickness? Barrel material thickness?
    Rimfire bullets are either plated or straight lead, and thus tend to lead up your suppressor quickly.

Conversely, centerfire rifle bullets are almost all jacketed, and do not exhibit that behavior. The only time it kinda becomes a thing is with pistol calibers and .300 BLK subs. I shoot a lot of coated .300 BLK subs, so I tend to be a little more careful about giving that can a cleaning once in a while.

bartojb1

Dec 25, 2009
    PA
    Rimfire bullets are either plated or straight lead, and thus tend to lead up your suppressor quickly.

Conversely, centerfire rifle bullets are almost all jacketed, and do not exhibit that behavior. The only time it kinda becomes a thing is with pistol calibers and .300 BLK subs. I shoot a lot of coated .300 BLK subs, so I tend to be a little more careful about giving that can a cleaning once in a while.
    gotchya!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    This.
    ^^^great example is the Tactical solutions barrel and shroud loved mine and looked cool barrel was 10.5 or so and they weld on the shroud to rifle length can screeed
    Right In
    And this.
    I have a Tactical Solutions .22 upper like this and it works great.

Here’s a pic.
    IMG_2394.jpeg

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Hi I built this for exactly the same reason. The overall approach was that I still wanted to be able to replace the gas tube if needed so I used a two piece free float handguard from Centurion Arms. I then fitted it with an 11.5" Colt FBI HRT Heavy Barrel mated with a Gemtech Patrolman Titanium Suppressor (will work with 10.5 or longer barrels). I chose that suppressor for durability, reduced weight, balance and excellent suppressor performance. It comes pre-drilled from Gemtech but I have not pinned it yet as I can still use it with a brace due to the injunction.

IMG_8875.jpeg
    IMG_8876.jpeg

bartojb1

Dec 25, 2009
    PA
    Hi I built this for exactly the same reason. The overall approach was that I still wanted to be able to replace the gas tube if needed so I used a two piece free float handguard from Centurion Arms. I then fitted it with an 11.5" Colt FBI HRT Heavy Barrel mated with a Gemtech Patrolman Titanium Suppressor (will work with 10.5 or longer barrels). I chose that suppressor for durability, reduced weight, balance and excellent suppressor performance. It comes pre-drilled from Gemtech but I have not pinned it yet as I can still use it with a brace due to the injunction.
    Worsley,
    Thanks! I have had difficulties finding a barrel shroud of sufficient inside diameter to allow me to meet the 16" length requirement, while allowing the removal of the suppressor.

The "Patrolman" looks like a solid option!

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Worsley,
    Thanks! I have had difficulties finding a barrel shroud of sufficient inside diameter to allow me to meet the 16" length requirement, while allowing the removal of the suppressor.

The "Patrolman" looks like a solid option!
    I thought about going that route, but ultimately wanted a well balanced rifle.

bartojb1

Dec 25, 2009
    PA
    It would seem my current list to pick from includes:
    5.56:
    Gemtech Patrolman
    Gemtech Trek-II
    Griffin Armament GP5

Rimfire:
    I would think that any of above would work on a 15/22 barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom