• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Well, I leave for Texas pig land on Wednesday and I'm only taking my Garand - leaving the scoped rifle at home this year. I did my final trial run today and, although I'm confident that I will kill a pig if the opportunity presents itself, I'm not 100% happy with this bullet/powder combo. I just need to remember to hold a little low. When I get back, I am going to experiment with some other combinations but it's too late for that now. My rounds are the ones in the center. The others are my son messing around with other rifles.

in a blind, ATV or helicopter?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    A blind or stand, depending on the spot at which they set me up each day.

Part of me would love to do the helicopter hunt, but part of me thinks that it's too close to the scene in Full Metal Jacket where they are flying Joker into the CZ.

"Have you killed any Sows or Piglets?"
    "Sure"!
    "How can you do that"?
    "Its easy, just don't lead them so much."

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Heading out to shoot the Suomi.
    fbdba6495b851768d72894bc74fdf9d2.jpg

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    That looks like a pretty big hog.

One Shot - Two Kills :)

Here's a picture of my dad standing with the pig for some perspective. He's 6' and needs to lose 12 spare tires.
    23137a74f31a9f74d0337fb85d9e79d9.jpg

So far, I haven't gotten a chance to pop one with the Garand. This trip is mostly about my son. He had such a beautiful chance last night and just couldn't find the pig in his scope. He got excited and the pig heard him telling me that he couldn't find the target and it ran off. It was a nice pig. Oh well, today is a new day.

P.S. To the thread members, sorry for, and thanks for letting me, go off topic here a bit, although it IS a target!

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Finally sighted in my Garand!

The lovely old all-Springer CMP service grade I got more than a year ago, I finally got her out to the range for my Labor Day observance. Hadn't put a round through her before, but had a mechanical zero - it took 6 clips to get a good zero, but the results of my last clip are below. I only took 64 rounds along to the range, so I was starting to get frustrated. But boy, once everything finally got into place, it was like magic.

I hadn't fired a rifle since my last qual in the Reserves, which was about 1997. And never fired a .30-06 before. Wow, is the M-1 a sweet shooter! Hardly felt like any more recoil than an M-16, honestly. I'm in love.

Now, this is only 100 yards and from a seated bench rest (all we can have at my range, but we're in MoCo so even that is a victory), but for over-50-year-old Mk1 eyeballs as my optics (I like iron sights), I'm satisfied. I felt the two fliers, at 8 and 12ish o'clock, when I pulled them, so the rest of the group is good for a start!

Next I need to get a decent spotting scope and then get me to a longer range to see what I can do. This rifle definitely wants to be shooting at longer distances - at 100 yards I was holding low at 6 o'clock to stay centered, I can tell this beauty wants to get out to 500 yards and farther.

So I didn't get a pic in the shooting position, because I forgot. I'll do that next time. The target is to scale - 2" x-ring, then 1" in the 10 and 2" for the other rings in the black. So about a 4" spread with Greek surplus ammo and those old eyes I mentioned. Not too much to brag about, but I wanted to share:

IMG_0121.jpg

s/f,
    out!

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    That looks like a pretty big hog.

One Shot - Two Kills :)

Word! :party29:

Abulg - nice shooting from Dad, give him our compliments! Was he shooting the Garand, or was that another round?

Either way, looks and sounds like a good trip for all.

:thumbsup:

(and thanks, melnic - I have some work to do, but it felt good to get a rifle into my shoulder again)

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Took only Finn rifles to the range today.
    Best group was from my Finn capture 91/30
    8 inch target @ 50 yards

Attachments

• Finn 91.30 cropped.jpg
      Finn 91.30 cropped.jpg
      59.1 KB · Views: 211
    • 91.30 target.jpg
      91.30 target.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 215

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014