• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Rso.. personally don't think it's covered under supervisory position. I think that supervisory is for employed personnel.. Not guest/students/clients.

My 2 ¢

Yeah, I wonder if this is just subject to interpretation when a case arises. Plenty of LEOs are in ranges and gun stores with RSOs and other employees open carrying. Is there a reason (beyond this IS Maryland) to be concerned you think?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Yeah, I wonder if this is just subject to interpretation when a case arises. Plenty of LEOs are in ranges and gun stores with RSOs and other employees open carrying. Is there a reason (beyond this IS Maryland) to be concerned you think?

Private gun ranges.. You acting as an RSO. Don't think you'll be breaking any law. It's a gun range.. Everyone has a loaded gun.. ;)
    Edit:
    It also depends on ranges sop. I know the private range/club I belong to... We are not allowed holstered gun in certain part of the range if we are in active rso duty.
    /edit

I see it being a problem. Some place like elks neck or myrtle grove (state owned ranges). You don't want to wonder past the shooting pad.. Ie. Walking in the parking lot with loaded gun holstered (open or concealed).

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD law already allows carry to and from a range as long as the gun is unloaded and encased.. not sure how this play out once there. perhaps why they don't want any kind of carry once there. you'd simply be in legal possession at the range

good question though.

RSO's might be considered supervisory "employees" of the range

Last edited:

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Technically, I am a supervisory employee so that should be one less issue. The owner of the business, also owns the property we reside at. A friend suggested just bringing in my little pistol grip 12 gauge and storing it in my office during business hours. The issue is that I have several overhead doors that are normally open here, which allow fairly easy access to anyone who chooses to trespass, and I'm not always in the office, obviously.

Thanks for the reply.

you could always go this route:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TOKR6W?keywords=wall safe&qid=1444684858&ref_=sr_1_15&sr=8-15

http://www.amazon.com/Barska-Large-...unting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1444684957&sr=1-11

http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-Spee...X1J++EL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR109,160_

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009

Anyone can carry at a range. How else could you shoot?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I was looking around here and elsewhere, but I cannot seem to find the info I am looking for. :o

I thought I had read somewhere that you could carry on private property without any sort of license or permit?

This is not MY property, but my employer's property and after an event that took place here this morning, I would feel much better having access to some sort of self defense, aside from a baseball bat, or a "monkey" wrench...:rolleyes:

IF, I have permission from the property owner (my boss), can I carry, either openly, or concealed, as long as I stay on the property?

If not, am I legally allowed to bring a firearm with me, and lock it or otherwise store it in an accessible location?

Thanks in advance for any guidance or advice.

If it isn't your property, and it isn't one of the other specified places in Crim Law Section 4-203, the answer is quite definitely NO! Here is the rule: carry and possession (loaded or unloaded) is totally banned in MD, EXCEPT for those specific places specified in 4-203. A property owner (I am assuming this is not a range or gunsmith or your dealer) is not among those places. It matters not at all whether the property owner has given you permission.

Max Power

Confused Reactionary
    Slight thread drift but under the old law in Mich, concealed carry was illegal except for licensed persons, LEOs, and people carrying on their property or place of business. My dad was a criminal defense lawyer in Detroit and had a drug dealer who was arrested during a raid of his drug house. My dad quashed the warrant and the only charge left was CCW without a license. Keeping mind that the criminal law is strictly construed against the govt., My dad successfully argued that the drug dealer was not in violation of the statute because the drug house was his place of business. The prosecutors office did not appeal this up.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Cease fire is not an order reserved to RSO's

True, but they are charged with the safe operation of the range are they not? Do you have to follow their orders or directions? If yes, how can they not be viewed as supervisory?

Most range rules I'm familiar with specifically state the orders from RSO's are to be followed at all times.

Here is an example from the Isaac Walton League Rockville chapter range rules. This wording would certainly seem to put RSO's in a superviwory position as far as the statute goes. my .02.

Attachments

• walton.jpg
      walton.jpg
      35.5 KB · Views: 155

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads