• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lennyo3034

Feb 28, 2011
    I am interested in building an AR pistol, however have a question. If I purchased a lower for an HBAR, but changed my mind and converted it to a pistol, and of course went through the FFL to do so, would that be ok?

Are there any stipulations to make sure it's a pistol? I was planning on going with a Sig brace and 12.5" barrel. I know VFGs are a no-go, but I'm wondering what else?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Based on BATF letters, just make sure the lower is transferred to you as O - Other.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    The lower should have been transferred to you as an "O - Other." What you make with it after that is up to you, either a pistol, rifle (SBR or not), etc. You don't need to go back through an FFL or anything like that.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    As long as you didn't build it as a rifle, and it came to you as Other, you're fine.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    Are there any stipulations to make sure it's a pistol? I was planning on going with a Sig brace and 12.5" barrel. I know VFGs are a no-go, but I'm wondering what else?

No VFG if under 26" OAL. AFG is ok. Otherwise, as long as you don't put a stock on it, you're GTG with any barrel length and profile (doesn't have to be an HBAR).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also, you can build it into a pistol then into a rifle, then back to a pistol later. There is another thread here with specific references.

So, I build mine into pistols FIRST. Can always then go to rifle and back.

cz27jim

I *am* a curio and relic!
    Sep 27, 2012
    Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack someone's thread, but I have questions related to AR pistols.

I have bought a stripped AR lower, which I will pick up in another week. The paperwork was done as "other", so I am GTG on that. If I decide to build it as an AR pistol, what defines it as a pistol? Obviously, no rear stock. From what I gather here, no VFG. I assume, as a pistol, there is no minimum barrel length requirement, and no profile (HBAR) requirement. Anything else?

After I build this pistol, do I need to file any paperwork with MSP?

Thanks

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack someone's thread, but I have questions related to AR pistols.

I have bought a stripped AR lower, which I will pick up in another week. The paperwork was done as "other", so I am GTG on that. If I decide to build it as an AR pistol, what defines it as a pistol? Obviously, no rear stock. From what I gather here, no VFG. I assume, as a pistol, there is no minimum barrel length requirement, and no profile (HBAR) requirement. Anything else?

After I build this pistol, do I need to file any paperwork with MSP?

Thanks
    'Shoulderable stock' is what separates it from a rifle and no, there are no barrel restrictions of any kind. You don't need to file any paperword beyond which you filed when you bought the stripped lower.. that is enough for them.. for now...

cz27jim

Sep 27, 2012
    Thanks, Sticky.

I will begin my search for pistol uppers. This build just got a lot more fun :-)

cz27jim

Sep 27, 2012
    In case anyone is interested - So far, I have found AR Pistol uppers in the following calibers:

.223/5.56 NATO
    300 AAC Blackout
    7.62x39
    9mm Parabellum
    40 S&W
    45 ACP
    22LR

I have not found magazines (and magazine well adapters where needed) for some of these, but I assume they exist.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    In case anyone is interested - So far, I have found AR Pistol uppers in the following calibers:

.223/5.56 NATO
    300 AAC Blackout
    7.62x39
    9mm Parabellum
    40 S&W
    45 ACP
    22LR

I have not found magazines (and magazine well adapters where needed) for some of these, but I assume they exist.

I would opt away from mag well adapters/kits and roll with 5.56 or 300 for the first pistol build to see how you like it.

If you like the feel of it, then do another pistol caliber later.

Why not have both? :party29:

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    OK, so just so I am wrapping my head around this 100%:

I can-

Buy a new Post Oct 1 Lower
    Put on a Pistol Upper (with or without Sig brace)
    Barrel can be any length, just no buttstock?

No HQL and NO NFA stamp?

Am I missing something? I feel like this is a trap lol

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

I can-

No HQL and NO NFA stamp?

Nope, not missing anything, the above pretty much covers it.

cz27jim

Sep 27, 2012

I can-

No HQL and NO NFA stamp?

Only one thing missing: the lower *MUST* be transferred to you as "Other", not handgun, not rifle. If it is transferred as a pistol, you must have the HQL. If it is transferred as a rifle you CANNOT build it as a pistol.

cz27jim

Sep 27, 2012
    Now without the sig brace, it would need a NFA stamp or no?

The Sig brace should not matter. According to the ATF letter, it is still just a pistol with the Sig brace installed. It would only need the NFA stamp if it had a shoulderable stock and the OAL was short enough to make it a SBR. That is my understanding, anyway.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The Sig brace should not matter. According to the ATF letter, it is still just a pistol with the Sig brace installed. It would only need the NFA stamp if it had a shoulderable stock and the OAL was short enough to make it a SBR. That is my understanding, anyway.

That is correct as I understand it as well.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The Sig brace is nothing. Still a pistol, even with the Sig brace installed. "Feel" doesn't matter; the BATFE says the Sig brace is okay on pistols.

Build a pistol and enjoy it. Use an angled front grip if your pistol is under 26". A vertical grip is okay if it exceeds 26" - remember to remove the flash hider before you measure.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Unless the flash hider is pinned and welded or silver soldered on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom