• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    The licensing is a joke. The legislature is a fraud. Kind of can't wait to leave. MD isn't my first choice, but being with the girlfriend is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you in for a treat, we have the worst possible mix of old school good ole' boy Mississippi Democrat politics and Massachusetts corrupt political machine. Couple that with pissed off, manic, spastic amoeba gerrymandering........

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Generally speaking, it's not a huge difference. Except for this registration crap. Massachusetts is notoriously slow in processing anything related to civilians owning firearms (e.g., LTC renewals are supposed to be responded to by the state within 40 days, but it's taking upwards of 3-6 months)... is MD like that?

seems like the safe thing to do is call the state police and get something in writing.

Does I filed papers in July and August on two handguns and have not heard a peep tell you anything? Supposed to take 7 days.

During a recent visit I found out that the particular county I was in charges 5 cents per plastic bag at supermarkets and such. I was appalled.

Also, all the cameras on the streets to nab people for traffic violations... Almost made Massachusetts look good.

The cameras are to generate revenue, nothing more, nothing less.

Howdy neighbor. I work in the north shore, and live about 20 minutes north of Boston.

One thing about the possibility of moving to MD is not dealing with the Massachusetts approved firearms roster. On the flip side, I don't particularly like the idea of registering my firearms.

We have a firearms roster too, maybe not as restrictive as MA's but don't bet on it staying less restrictive either.

Rico

Jan 8, 2014
    Salisbury
    You don't have registration of every firearm, nor a requirement for a firearms license to possess any type of firearm, magazines, or any type of ammo, including components, even spent brass. Hell, even pepper spray requires a license.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    Ignore the haters. I moved to MD for a good job and I like it enough. I'm from New Jersey so... this place is actually much nicer. I had to register all my handguns and my 'banned' longguns when I moved, you have 90 days after you establish residency to do it. So long you owned the 'banned' longgun before 10/1/2013 you're fine. You can keep any magazine but you can't transfer or sell it. That's it.

If you want to buy some new firearms then you'll need a HQL for handguns and you won't be able to buy AR15s, AKs, etc.

Be sure to get active in politics and the DINO movement. VOTE VOTE VOTE

Metaterra

Jun 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    So I won't be able to buy any long guns?? Booooooo

Sure you will. Most any rifle except AR/AK type rifles on the banned list. But you can buy AR-15 HBARs. Just a heavier barrel and it's cash and carry.

I drove a cab in Boston during college and had to get a permit to carry pepper spray.

Rico

Jan 8, 2014
    Salisbury
    If a read the summary of the new law correctly, a Rock River National Match model with a Douglas heavy barrel is considered a Hbar?

architect323

Jan 7, 2014
    okay guys, I'm here in Maryland, but my handguns are still in Massachusetts (with someone who is licensed to carry up there, so don't worry).

It took forever to deal with getting my car stuff dealt with (finally finished dealing with those MVA guys), and now have time to deal with the handgun permit.

So, I started to look at what I need to do, and it's all very confusing. As far as the MVA is concern, my residency was establish early November. Therefore, I presume I can proceed with the "new resident" link to "register" my guns with the State for a fee of $15. So, what happens after that? I presume I still need to get a permit, but nothing is clear or easy to find on that website. Nowhere does it say that if I am a gun owner from another that I'm exempt from needing the training course, etc. Anyone have experience going through this before?

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    What permit you talking about, concealed or HQL? Good luck with the concealed or carry, unless you have a credible threat on your life. Otherwise the HQL is just a day long class and shooting so you can buy in the future.

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away....

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's a handgun qualification license (HQL). Only needed if/when you plan to buy a handgun here. Otherwise do nothing besides the gun registration.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    That will let me keep them here, but doesn't let me carry them?

Unless you have a credible documented threat to your life, carry large amounts of money (cash or checks), jewelry (as a dealer) or own your own business, you can forget about getting a concealed carry permit in this state. This State doesn't care about your life, just your money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    That will let me keep them here, but doesn't let me carry them?

Did you not read the old posts in your thread you started written to you by very knowledgeable individuals before you posted?

Maryland IS A NO ISSUE STATE.

I hope your gf is worth it.

Montgomery County is a narcissistic, arrogant, shallow, intolerant, liberal hellhole which is why I am glad I left it.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    The one area where the otherwise worse Mass is ahead of Md is that at least some normal citizens can get carry permits. Maryland's carry permits are all issued thru the State police, and are uniformly not issued statewide. ( Certain business owners, physicians, politicians, armed security people, all restricted to the respective profesional activities, not for everyday protection of self and family.)

If the GF has a below market rate pad within walking distance of work , that might be irreistable. But that is a high cost of living area right there. For either somthing more affordable and/ or a much nicer place for same $, you need to locate within the *DC regional average commute time* radius .

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    So I won't be able to buy any long guns?? Booooooo

There are plenty of cash and carry long rifles. MSP has a list of the naughty ones, anything not on the list is fine.

ISo long you owned the 'banned' longgun before 10/1/2013 you're fine.

Is this true? I thought you could not bring banned firearms into the state, regardless of when you owned them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom