• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    You have to register the revolver but you shouldnt run into any trouble.

But do take stock before you consider moving to Maryland I don't know what your priorities are and if you're not a serious gun enthusiast it probably won't be that big of a deal but the carry laws are non-existent pretty much and the taxes are fairly high but I mean if you're looking at like a hundred thousand dollar job or something or a big ass promotion might be worth it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Nov 2, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I think the job, if I get it, would be based out of Baltimore. I might do some traveling throughout the state, but I think it's primarily Baltimore. As far as I know, Pennsylvania is about an hour away. That might be rough on my car and my timeliness (if it's anything like Northern Virginia). I was originally hoping to work in Pennsylvania, or in DC so I could stay in Virginia.

Virginia might be good for guys who like to shoot or buy guns without getting hassled, but it isn't a good place for much else. I've been looking for decent work in Richmond for six years and haven't found it. According to these people, I'm not even good enough to help you find cookies at a grocery store because I'm not 30+ years old.

I just want to be self-sufficient, but I get treated like trash. I notice that when I'm in line, like at the post office or the pharmacy, the older people in line get a friendly greeting from the cashier but I get a tone of voice that suggests they don't want to help me. As if my money ain't green.

Maryland can't be any worse if I'm at least getting an interview.

But now we're off topic. Here is dumb follow up question. I heard something about needing a license to buy bullets. What is up with that? More attitude from cashiers is the last thing I need.

Nov 2, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    MD residents do NOT have to register firearms purchased before Oct 1, 2013. The registration requirement was in an early form of the bill, but was removed.

People moving into the state DO have to register regulated an banned firearms within 90 days of establishing residency, Any banned firearm that was purchased prior to Oct 1, 2013 may be brought into the state. Any banned firearm purchases AFTER Oct 1, 2013 may NOT be brought into the state.

There is a new form for registering firearms. IIRC, there is no fee for doing so. You will out the form, which is some personal info and a list of all the firearms, and submit it.

Does what I own count as banned?

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I think the job, if I get it, would be based out of Baltimore. I might do some traveling throughout the state, but I think it's primarily Baltimore. As far as I know, Pennsylvania is about an hour away. That might be rough on my car and my timeliness (if it's anything like Northern Virginia). I was originally hoping to work in Pennsylvania, or in DC so I could stay in Virginia.

Virginia might be good for guys who like to shoot or buy guns without getting hassled, but it isn't a good place for much else. I've been looking for decent work in Richmond for six years and haven't found it. According to these people, I'm not even good enough to help you find cookies at a grocery store because I'm not 30+ years old.

I just want to be self-sufficient, but I get treated like trash. I notice that when I'm in line, like at the post office or the pharmacy, the older people in line get a friendly greeting from the cashier but I get a tone of voice that suggests they don't want to help me. As if my money ain't green. Maryland can't be any worse if I'm at least getting an interview.

But now we're off topic. Here is dumb follow up question. I heard something about needing a license to buy bullets. What is up with that? More attitude from cashiers is the last thing I need.

It all depends on your priorities.

If you plan on being a die hard shooter who likes to or plans on owning many guns including getting into AR's, AK's, and the like then stay out of Maryland since you will never be able to own them here. I'd put up with the snobs to have some semblance of freedom. Just don't go to those places.

If shooting isn't your priority well it is your choice but be prepared to pay a boatload of taxes and cushion the higher cost of living here as well as the incremental loss of your rights. If you want to conceal carry it will never happen in Maryland either and Maryland is ranked as one of the highest crime rates in the country plus leads in robbery/theft/muggings. Every single one of my family members, myself included, except my mom has been robbed in one part of this state or another.

Does what I own count as banned?

It is legal. Just register it.

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    The main points of contention in MD center around semiautomatic weapons. Owning a revolver is probably fine. Just register it.

The worst case scenario is having to get fingerprinted or take a class.

In general take Chris Rock's advice when dealing with MSP, "I didn't know I couldn't do that officer."

Or you could just ditch the handgun, buy an AR-10 and be happy. Just remember, only a 10 round magazine!!

I'm sure the world will be a much safer place!! (insert sarcasm here)

The best thing is to call an actual human being on the phone. Record their name and time that you called them. You could also visit the MSP at one of their barracks ahead of time, no guns, and do the same thing. Get the officer's business card as well.

Is MD actually a decent place to live? That's another question altogether.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas

It is a bit of a haul from the PA border to downtown Baltimore but thousands do it every day. There are lots of bedroom communities just over the border with reasonably priced housing. Traffic on I-83, the main route south, can range from a crawl in spots at rush hour to something like Le Mans or Indy once past the choke points. Many real estate agents tell their clients they can make it to Baltimore in half an hour and there are a few who try to do it.

For ammo, cash is about the only license you will need.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Unless this job is paying mass amounts of money I would reconsidering moving to MD. High taxes which support programs that middle class people will never use and politicians that for some reason think that restricting citizens from owning guns will somehow magically solve crime despite that this state normally makes top 5 list for most dangerous state in the country.

Move to PA/VA and help those states remain free by voting appropriately.

stupid

Jun 13, 2013
    I think that if moving here and taking the job will help greatly increase your families way of life then go for it. Your success and your family wellbeing is way more important then not being able to own certain weapons.they are only firearms afterall. I know this is not a popular opinion on these forums but there is more to life then being able to own Ak-47s. You can still buy HBAR ars and go out of state to get rregular capacity magazines. Is your time worth the extra commute? Md has a lot of good jobs if you have the skills. Ok sure there are better states but your quality of life is the most important thing.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    No job is worth moving here for!

Easy to say, but could be seen as a little trite. These days it's not all always that simple to turn down a good-paying job. Same reason not all of us can just get up and move.

We pro-2A Marylanders need to encourage people to move here and help change things (with their eyes wide open as to the current situation), not to stay away and let the rest of us rot.

Jambone

Sep 15, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    I lived in Southern Maryland for about 16-years and think this is one of the most beautiful states in the country. You can own, purchase, and use firearms in this state. Yes, the laws are unfortunately changing or restricting our rights and many of us are unhappy about it. We will stand united and try to push the pendulum back or way democratically. Enjoy Maryland if you come and help support the cause.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    Wow, a lot of harsh comments about Maryland! Count me in. I would add my own negative comments, but they have already been said. My dad worked at Sparrows Point for over 40 years, and commuted from Delta, PA. It's an easy ride through the country, then onto the beltway around the East side of the city. He still says to this day it was the best decision he ever could have made for his family.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    This is coming from a lifelong Maryland resident.

Listen to everyone else and don't move here. I've given it serious thought, and I can't think of any job in Maryland to which you can't commute from Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia. Which state would yield the best commute depends on where the job is located.

I'd be very interested to hear (with concrete examples) of any jobs in Maryland not within commuting distance of a neighboring state. However, I believe I have analyzed this accurately.

I live inside Baltimore's Beltway and drive a LOT for work. There are three important things that have not been mentioned yet:
    1- Baltimore's north end (to PA on I-83) traffic is nowhere near as bad as NOVA's traffic.
    2- Without traffic, it takes a half hour from the PA line to the Baltimore city line. Realistically, it is going to average 45 minutes. Peak rush hour can reach an hour each way.
    3- Maryland's taxes will blow your mind.

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    If you like paying taxes for those who won't and losing your rights, move here. Otherwise, stay. Far. Away. I love my home state, but the politicians have ruined it. Once my kids are out of school, I'm hoping to time the market and roll to VA or PA.

RustinRifle55

Feb 24, 2013
    St. James MD
    Unless you have to move to MD I would not. Taxes, laws, demo's, bad for business.....you name it. Maryland is such a pretty state but unfortunately the politicians have ruined it. I will be relocating in the next few years elsewhere. I would rather live with a majority of people who agree with my views and politicians who at least have some chance of voting in agreement with me. South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama........all look good. Just bought a little house in Indiana for a really low price and the property tax was amazingly low. It also helps the states I mentioned have really good whitetail populations.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    I'd be very interested to hear (with concrete examples) of any jobs in Maryland not within commuting distance of a neighboring state. However, I believe I have analyzed this accurately.

US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, lower Calvert County -unless you feel like driving over an hour each way

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom