• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 2, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    So I have some questions. I don't mean to ask something that has already been asked, but as someone from out of state, I'm confused. You see, there is a possibility that I might move to Maryland in the near future. It isn't guaranteed, it's just a possibility. I put in a job application and have an interview coming up.

Anyway, I bought my first revolver earlier this month here in Richmond. I passed the Virginia background check, etc. It's a Ruger SP101, if you need that information to help with my question.

Anyway, what will I have to do if I bring my gun with me to Maryland (if I get the job)? I don't want a concealed carry permit, I just want to have the gun in my home and take it to a shooting range every so often.

I have looked at some Maryland laws online, but I can't find anything mentioning people moving to Maryland with a gun.

Another thing. In 2009 and 2010 I saw a therapist for depression. It didn't impact me when buying a gun here, but I'm worried it might be brought up if I relocate. I wasn't hospitalized or involuntarily committed. I just kept seeing a psychologist.

If you all could go easy on the jargon and the acronyms, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    If you weren't hospitalized, you should have nothing to worry about. Carry permits are next to impossible, but you can take the gun to the range so long as you keep the ammo unloaded in a separate compartment of the bag/case.

Personally I'd tell you to avoid living in-state if you can help it. I don't know where your job would be, but most anywhere in Maryland you can have an hour or less commute from a better state.

Edited see below

longgunnewb

Textbook Libertarian
    Feb 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So I have some questions. I don't mean to ask something that has already been asked, but as someone from out of state, I'm confused. You see, there is a possibility that I might move to Maryland in the near future. It isn't guaranteed, it's just a possibility. I put in a job application and have an interview coming up.

Anyway, I bought my first revolver earlier this month here in Richmond. I passed the Virginia background check, etc. It's a Ruger SP101, if you need that information to help with my question.

Anyway, what will I have to do if I bring my gun with me to Maryland (if I get the job)? I don't want a concealed carry permit, I just want to have the gun in my home and take it to a shooting range every so often.

I have looked at some Maryland laws online, but I can't find anything mentioning people moving to Maryland with a gun.

Another thing. In 2009 and 2010 I saw a therapist for depression. It didn't impact me when buying a gun here, but I'm worried it might be brought up if I relocate. I wasn't hospitalized or involuntarily committed. I just kept seeing a psychologist.

If you all could go easy on the jargon and the acronyms, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I couldn't help but laugh when I read that. According to Maryland officials no one else in this state wants one either that doesn't have what they consider G&S.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Registration used to be voluntary.

Under the new law it is mandatory. You'll have to register the revolver within 90 days.

Nov 2, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Registration used to be voluntary.

Under the new law it is mandatory. You'll have to register the revolver within 90 days.

I'm seeing that on the website. I just looked. The state police website is sort of confusing, I didn't see the new resident section yesterday.

Is that a simple registration process, or would I have to get fingerprinted and take classes like people who always lived in state? Also, is there some sort of healthcare.gov-esque problem with the licensing website? I can't access the MyLicense page (404). I just wanted to see what the forms looked like among other things.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I think the registration is a simple matter of stopping by the Barracks, leaving the unloaded, cased gun in your trunk, and telling the Trooper at the desk you're there for a registration. You fill out a couple forms, pay $10 (check, no cash), and someone goes out to confirm the serial number. If you have any outstanding warrants, they'll arrest you. Otherwise pretty simple.

What I just described is the process for private sales of handguns. I'm fairly sure the mandatory registration works the same way, using the same form.

To the best of my limited knowledge, you do not need the new Handgun Qualification License to register a handgun you already own.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    From a true Maryland native - please consider living outside of Maryland and commuting!

Coming from America, you won't like our nanny state...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    MD residents do NOT have to register firearms purchased before Oct 1, 2013. The registration requirement was in an early form of the bill, but was removed.

People moving into the state DO have to register regulated an banned firearms within 90 days of establishing residency, Any banned firearm that was purchased prior to Oct 1, 2013 may be brought into the state. Any banned firearm purchases AFTER Oct 1, 2013 may NOT be brought into the state.

There is a new form for registering firearms. IIRC, there is no fee for doing so. You will out the form, which is some personal info and a list of all the firearms, and submit it.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Don't buy in MD or die in MD.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Maryland isn't actually a bad place to die. With no inheritance tax to direct lineal descendants and an estate tax that doesn't kick in until $1,000,000, it's possible to pass everything on to your heirs tax free.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    The state police website is sort of confusing, I didn't see the new resident section yesterday. Is that a simple registration process, or would I have to get fingerprinted and take classes like people who always lived in state? Also, is there some sort of healthcare.gov-esque problem with the licensing website? I can't access the MyLicense page (404). I just wanted to see what the forms looked like among other things.

The gateway page you want is here: https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...andRegistration/Registration/NewResident.aspx

You must register any non-antique handgun within 90 days of establishing residency, using the web-based form linked above -- they'll probably have it fixed by then. There is a $15 fee, which covers registration of any number of handguns (or "regulated" long guns, i.e., pre-ban "assault" weapons). You do not need to be fingerprinted, take classes, or obtain a Handgun Qualification License.

I think the registration is a simple matter of stopping by the Barracks, leaving the unloaded, cased gun in your trunk, and telling the Trooper at the desk you're there for a registration. You fill out a couple forms, pay $10 (check, no cash), and someone goes out to confirm the serial number. If you have any outstanding warrants, they'll arrest you. Otherwise pretty simple.

What I just described is the process for private sales of handguns. I'm fairly sure the mandatory registration works the same way, using the same form.

That is all wrong. The new registration requirement has nothing to do with the long-standing process for transfers of regulated firearms. The new residents registration form is entirely different, and it is web-based. There is no requirement to visit a barracks. The fee is $15 for any number of firearms.

sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    I am doing everything possible to leave Maryland, including submitting retirement paper work to the military. I love the town I live in, HATE maryland politics. Here it is the demoncrats way or the highway. I am voting with my feet

ZX672

Feb 21, 2010
    Olney
    Listen to the people on this forum! If you are any type of gun enthusiast stay out of MD. Good people here, but it is too blue/left.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Don't listen to all these folks; move here and help defray my taxes. (You do have a job, right?)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Listen to the people on this forum! If you are any type of gun enthusiast stay out of MD. Good people here, but it is too blue/left.
    If you can, bypass moving to Maryland. Either stay in Virginia, or get just north of the State line into Pennsylvania. Even if you aren't a gun owner, you'd be better off. If I could somehow manage to get into Pennsylvania, the tax break alone would be like getting a substantial pay raise.

I'm with ZX - I'm slowly working a plan to get the hell out of this state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom