POLL: Has a doctor ever asked you about guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Has your doctor ever asked you about guns?

• Yes

Votes: 127 27.0%
    • No

Votes: 343 73.0%

• Total voters

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I voted yes, with an explanation. This was actually my daughters pediatrician who began to ask her questions about guns while my wife was with her. My wife told the doctor that those questions were irrelevant and she could move on :)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I voted yes, with an explanation. This was actually my daughters pediatrician who began to ask her questions about guns while my wife was with her. My wife told the doctor that those questions were irrelevant and she could move on :)

It seems that the overwhelming majority of these questions come from pediatricians.

This is just conjecture, but my opinion is that pediatricians tend to be more idealistic and liberal than other specialties.

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    Pediatrician asked

Also asked about smokers in the home and if the home had been tested for lead paint and pipes

In addition to smoke & CO detectors, wouldn't it helpful to ask about appropriate car seats, swimming pools, fences and locked gates, too?

Well she usually does. However I am on my phone and wasn't feeling up to a full run down. I understand why she asks the questions and I don't think it would be an issue if I told her yes. It's not like the .gov doesn't know about them anyway.

MovingFusion

Dec 29, 2012
    I recently completed a 7-8 page questionnaire from the Medstar group and it wasnt on their checklist, nor was I asked during my last routine physical in late 2013. Maybe it's driven by the presence of children in a household?

Dec 31, 2012
    No, not yet but it was certainly on the form.

Last trip to the pediatrician they asked about 'everything' except guns.
    I saw the woman skip a few questions on the form but couldn't quite read them from where I was.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Well, my previous Primary Care Physician never asked. But he has since moved his practice and I've also gotten a new plan so I am looking for a new doctor. If the question does come up, I'll just have to say "no". I don't like lying or being dishonest, but it seems that this would be the best way for me to handle it.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    yup, one of the 3 pediatricians we interviewed before our first was born asked. and what do ya know she is not our pediatrician!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    My primary care doc asked me (about 2011) if there were any guns in the house and I told him to break into my house one night and find out how I greet him. Keep in mind that I grinned after I said that, and my PCP and I were talking about hunting and long range shooting. We both hunt, me in WV and him in MD. There were also the pictures of new family members that we shared. :D

The pediatrician's office (next door to my PCP) didn't ask on the forms, but when Little DA was in the the exam room with the wifey and I, we were asked about guns in the home. I let the doc know that it was none of their business if there were or weren't guns in the home and it doesn't pertain to any level of care that they would be able to provide our son at his age. Next question?

Library Guy

Library Marksmanship Unit
    May 25, 2012
    I’ve never been asked about guns during the adult primary care clinical encounter.

As an aside, I know many physicians and surgeons who are shooters- and they can afford the pricey toys too!

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I was asked one time then the doc. Shot a soccer ball and we started talking about cheesesteaks. Does that count?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I haven't been asked verbally....and I simply have skipped over the question on forms with no problems.

My dentist knows I shoot, and he thinks it's cool.
    My eye doctor has brochures for prescription shooting glasses in his waiting room and showed me pics of the AR he had purchased right after Sandy Hook.

My daughter's doctor knows she shoots, but this is rural NC and guns are a way of life here. People look strangely at the people who DON'T have guns.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    When I lived in MoCo, my doctor was in Bethesda. The nurse that came in to do BP, Temp, etc asked as she checked off a form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom