POLL: Has a doctor ever asked you about guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Has your doctor ever asked you about guns?

• Yes

Votes: 127 27.0%
    • No

Votes: 343 73.0%

• Total voters

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Dogbone's comment reminded me of another occurrence. My former primary care doc used to ask me if I wore vision and hearing protection when I went shooting. Frankly she used to also ask me if I wore my body armor on duty and PPE when dealing with sick cases. She was a really good doc and wanted to make sure I was taking all appropriate precautions.

Those would be appropriate health questions. An ounce of prevention....

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Yes, My sons pediatrician. The interesting part was the Dr ( owner of bellyacres in Davidsonville) never in 12 years asked about firearms in our home. His son came in the practice a few years ago and he asked the question and he wanted to see my 12 yr old alone in his exam room. That did not work for me. :wtf::shrug:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes, My sons pediatrician. The interesting part was the Dr ( owner of bellyacres ) never in 10 years asked about firearms in our home. His son came in the practice a few years ago and he asked the question and he wanted to see my 12 yr old alone in his exam room. That did not work for me. :wtf::shrug:

The younger docs are being trained to ask.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I'm curious. When the AMA or now the ACP (American College of Physicians) makes a recommendation that doctors ask about guns, we get doctor bashing threads. The recommendation that doctors council on guns and "gun safety" has been around for well over a decade. I would like to know how many people have had their doctor ask them about guns.

If you answer yes, can you comment on whether or not it was a pediatrician?

military doc asked this on a mobility processing line...I told them it wasnt any of their business...

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    My doc asks me everytime I go to the office and sometimes outside of the office.

Last year after he asked me about my guns, he took me into his office and showed me his FAL. :D

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    The pediatrician asks every time. My answer is always no. She has seen me with my camo hat and ducks unlimited jacket quite often. She never presses the issue. To be fair she also asks about working smoke detectors and co detectors as well.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Yes, was asked by my kid's pediatrician at Bethesda. I about came unglued that a doc in a MILITARY hospital would ask and then kept going with more questions related to them. The best one was, "why do you have them?"

If my Wife hadn't been in the room I would have torn her apart. Doc or not, a junior officer should NOT be asking me why I'm doing a d*mn thing!

Wrote a letter to the commander there and didn't go back since we moved out of the area. It hasn't happened since then so I can only assume the C, Peds there must have been some pinko.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Pediatrician asked

Also asked about smokers in the home and if the home had been tested for lead paint and pipes

In addition to smoke & CO detectors, wouldn't it helpful to ask about appropriate car seats, swimming pools, fences and locked gates, too?

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    My doctor does not, however my kids' pediatrician's office has aske numerous times, normally when I take them in for physicals. After I say yes, they follow-up with a turn towards me and something like "you keep them locked up, right?"

I don't think it's a huge deal, and I could simply decline to answer if I felt like it but I do keep all my firearms locked up so I answer in the afirmative.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I don't think so. My hearing is not the best and my primary doctor speaks quietly and with a heavy accent. If he has asked me, I don't know it. No other doctors have asked. My dentist, who is a friend of mine, asked me to take his wife to the range. She wanted to shoot and he is not a shooter.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Pediatrician asked

Also asked about smokers in the home and if the home had been tested for lead paint and pipes

In addition to smoke & CO detectors, wouldn't it helpful to ask about appropriate car seats, swimming pools, fences and locked gates, too?

They should ask about all of the things you mentioned, I believe.

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    Kaiser Pemenete doctors asked about guns at one of my visits and one of children visits. During my kids' visit, I politely told them "I don't know what guns have to do with a rash and fever my kid has right now". They dropped the line of questioning right there.

As for my visit, I flat out told them "it is none of your business whether or not I exercise my constitutional rights or not. I don't question you whether you have exercised your free speech today."

Needless to say, I was slightly pissed off when they asked me at my visit.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I have been asked in person once after an audiogram and once on a form at a doctor's office recently. The questionnaire asked "Do you store your firearms unloaded and in a location where children cannot access them? Yes/No/N/A" I have no children so I marked N/A.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Kaiser Pemenete doctors asked about guns at one of my visits and one of children visits. During my kids' visit, I politely told them "I don't know what guns have to do with a rash and fever my kid has right now". They dropped the line of questioning right there.

As for my visit, I flat out told them "it is none of your business whether or not I exercise my constitutional rights or not. I don't question you whether you have exercised your free speech today."

Needless to say, I was slightly pissed off when they asked me at my visit.

Just say no. Things go so much more smoothly. If you are worried about data mining, it's the best course of action. Arguing about your Constitutional Rights all but tells them the answer.

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    Just say no. Things go so much more smoothly. If you are worried about data mining, it's the best course of action. Arguing about your Constitutional Rights all but tells them the answer.

True. I guess I was more offended that they were even asking. Kind of caught me off guard. It was my way of telling them to f*** off without actually saying F*** off.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I'm curious. When the AMA or now the ACP (American College of Physicians) makes a recommendation that doctors ask about guns, we get doctor bashing threads. The recommendation that doctors council on guns and "gun safety" has been around for well over a decade. I would like to know how many people have had their doctor ask them about guns.

If you answer yes, can you comment on whether or not it was a pediatrician?

Yes, it was my primary care doctor at the time...quite a few years ago.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    My doc has a CC Permit, likes to shoot and he knows I shoot. So, he never asked, but he knows.

I've never heard our Pediatrician ask them about "guns". If they did, I would have to interject.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    This happened to me for the first time earlier this month when I went for a physical at my new Primary Care Physician. I was asked by the nurse conducting the pre-screening if there were guns in our home. I asked if the question was related to Obamacare and the nurse responded that it was not. She said the Doctor just likes to know. I told her to put down "patient refused to answer". I was not happy about being asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom