• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Figured it out. The barrel has not been cut down. The specs show a bbl length of 17.32", so that looks right. Someone has demolished/cut down the stock, which is why it looks so funky and why the bayo doesn't fit right. I think Wojo first picked up on this in his post above. See how the stock in the below pic extends until about 3" before the muzzle? (Note: the below picture shows a German M98AZ, but the K98 was almost an exact copy (few subtle differences) - this was a better pic in MMOTW than the one of a K98)

22944e2a5852f9f6dfb85b03cf423105.jpg

That sure is better that a cutdown barrel. At least the OP might be able to find a stock from another K98 or a German M98AZ someday

Last edited:

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Figured it out. The barrel has not been cut down. The specs show a bbl length of 17.32", so that looks right. Someone has demolished/cut down the stock, which is why it looks so funky and why the bayo doesn't fit right. I think Wojo first picked up on this in his post above. See how the stock in the below pic until about 3" before the muzzle?

Interesting. Stock, floor plate, and receiver all match. Ihave some more pics of the "repair" at the front.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    The bolt handle should be bent and have a flat (and probably gnurled) side next to the stock.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Figured it out. The barrel has not been cut down. The specs show a bbl length of 17.32", so that looks right. Someone has demolished/cut down the stock, which is why it looks so funky and why the bayo doesn't fit right. I think Wojo first picked up on this in his post above. See how the stock in the below pic extends until about 3" before the muzzle?

That sure is better that a cutdown barrel. At least the OP might be able to find a stock from another K98 or a German M98AZ someday

Thats a german 98 though, not polish

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    there is a difference between the front sight position of OldCarJunkie's vs this one.
    OCJ's front sight base is closer to the muzzle.

If the Bayo was designed for the one in Post 41, it would not even touch the muzzle. The main mount is way to far out in front. I'm thinking there are different versions built but this one does have a cut down muzzle. But something looks funky for sure.

Does bayo S# match the rifle?

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Here is some better pics. I'm still kinda confused. Lots of conflicting info out there.

Attachments

• DSC_0264.jpg
      DSC_0264.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 135
    • DSC_0263.jpg
      DSC_0263.jpg
      45.8 KB · Views: 135
    • DSC_0262.jpg
      DSC_0262.jpg
      42.1 KB · Views: 135
    • DSC_0261.jpg
      DSC_0261.jpg
      31.1 KB · Views: 133
    • DSC_0260.jpg
      DSC_0260.jpg
      68.1 KB · Views: 132

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Yes, but the Polish 98k was almost an exact copy of the German 98AZ. Only minor/subtle differences. I posted that pic because the images of the K98 didn't show the stock well/to my point.

One difference is that the elbow on the German stacking hook is rounded, whereas the one on the Polish has a sharp right angle.

Here's a link to an old thread I posted quite a while ago about a Polish Mauser:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=26917

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Is it normal that the bayonet's barrel ring would extend beyond the muzzle? I would think not. Do you think that barrel has been cut?

i think it was cut, but I dont think Bubba did it.

The bayonet is Yugoslavian.

Stock and handguard have been shortened by cutting them from underneath the rear band and removing a section from the rear band area approximately 1.5". The barrel muzzle really doesn't appear to have a crown to speak of so I suspect that the bore may have been almost gone at the muzzle and refurbed by some country (perhaps the germans) by cutting the barrel down a tad along with the stock and handguard. If the OP has a WWII German Bayonet (early and/or late series) to see if either one fits up well, check it. If either one fits well, there's a remote possible that it's a German WWII refurb.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Stock and handguard have been shortened by cutting them from underneath the rear band and removing a section from the rear band area approximately 1.5". The barrel muzzle really doesn't appear to have a crown to speak of so I suspect that the bore may have been almost gone at the muzzle and refurbed by some country (perhaps the germans) by cutting the barrel down a tad along with the stock and handguard. If the OP has a WWII German Bayonet (early and/or late series) to see if either one fits up well, check it. If either one fits well, there's a remote possible that it's a German WWII refurb.

Now that would be cool! Lou, would I be looking for German proof marks if this was a refurb?

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    U should get a finders fee... rifle is headed my way

:party29::party29: Awesome! congrats man!

Im just passing the Karma forward.. MikeSP posted a link the other day and i got this(front one) and a near Unheard of matching Numbered bayonet.

Attachments

• IMG_9808.JPG
      IMG_9808.JPG
      101.8 KB · Views: 114

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    :party29::party29: Awesome! congrats man!

Im just passing the Karma forward.. MikeSP posted a link the other day and i got this(front one) and a near Unheard of matching Numbered bayonet.

Wow matching bayonet is awesome. Looks super nice.

Talked to the guy a bit and even though it was scrubbed, almost all the parts match and the couple that don't are correct polish parts which is cool.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Wow matching bayonet is awesome. Looks super nice.

Talked to the guy a bit and even though it was scrubbed, almost all the parts match and the couple that don't are correct polish parts which is cool.

His pics arent the greatest, I cant wait to see some good pics when you get it. I can see a little spotting on the blue from cold storage. When you get it, give it a good scrub with OOOO steel wool a good oil and a wipe down rag. Should turn out good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom