Police kicked in the door on my rental unit yesterday.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yes, but in addition to tenant personal property, iirc tenant policies are available (and often required) to have liability coverage, too.

Suppose the tenant negligently drops a bath towel on the top of the third floor stairs, where the tenant's guest trips and falls down the stairs, also breaking the stairway banister, falls out the second floor landing window, and lands on the original Michelangelo statue in the garden fountain below, breaking off its head and arm?

Does the homeowners insurance pay for the banister, window, and Michelangelo, or does the tenant's liability policy pay because the tenant dropped the towel that started it all?

A liability policy usually insulates the tenant/homeowner/landlord or whoever else is the named insured from liability for personal injury when said insured would be liable. A liability policy does not cover property damage.

It would be interesting to see what the actual insurance policy says regarding this matter. Intentional acts by the insured are usually excluded, but this wasn't an intentional act by the insured, but a third party (i.e., law enforcement). It all comes down to the white paper and the black letters.

BigBull

Dec 23, 2014
    St. Mary's County
    I had some tenants that I had to get rid of about 10 years ago. They were a month behind on rent and laid off from work. I knew if I went through the courts it would take another couple months and I would have lost several more thousand dollars . I offered them $500 cash to leave. They packed up and were gone the next day. Sometimes you have to find the easiest way to cut your losses.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    That sucks. You seem to be taking it in stride though. I guess your "F- The Police" shirt is still in the mail? I wonder if you can include some sort of liability or easy out clause for harboring fugitives in future contracts in case this happens again.

Please keep us posted, and good luck!

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I have a similar but different story. My tenant from some years ago called up and said her door got kicked in, come I come fix it. That sounded horrible and I rushed up there right away. The reality turned out to be that it happened a couple of weeks ago and that it was done by her no account adult son. With a handful of drywall screws and my screw gun, I got it put back together surprising well. It turned out very good, cosmetically. That tenant was the worst I have ever had. I kept her entire security deposit and told her she should be glad that I did not come after her for more.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    I had some tenants that I had to get rid of about 10 years ago. They were a month behind on rent and laid off from work. I knew if I went through the courts it would take another couple months and I would have lost several more thousand dollars . I offered them $500 cash to leave. They packed up and were gone the next day. Sometimes you have to find the easiest way to cut your losses.

This is the way to go. Cash for keys. This is especially true if your insurance company is going to pick up the tab.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    is this section 8?
    isn't there some screening involved with the tenants?

Not section 8. I did a background check on her and reference checks including with her employee and she was fine. She isn't the problem per se... but rather her poor choice in boyfriends as I have come to find out.

Easier than those not in Section 8. For all you landlords out there that have Section 8 tenants (my better tenants), if you have problems with them speak with the case worker.

The reason they are better is that there is a long list of people trying to get in the program and if someone screws up they are put at the end of the "multi year" waiting list. Also, they typically call me to say rent is late while those not in Section 8 (Housing Choice Vouchers) are called by me asking where is the rent?

One of my other rentals has a Section 8 and she is the best tenant I have... her share of the rent is always on time and if there is ever a problem, the program helps resolve it. The annual inspections are the only hassle, but the place is in good shape, so I usually breeze through. Once I got cited because she didn't have a stopper for the bathtub... I said "you mean the $1.99 things they sell in the grocery store?" The inspector said, "yep". That was a pretty easy fix.

Did OP require the tenant to have a tenant liability & property policy? Many leases require tenant to have one, naming LL as additional insured, though I don't know whether this case could/would fall under tenant's liability. Still, better to use her insurance than yours.

Lease had requirement for renter to keep renter's insurance. I'll look into adding this next time. Thanks.

Yep, I have gotten this far through it and have nothing negative to say about it. That is just incredible. lol

I actually thought about making a dead dog joke in the original post, but thought better of it. :D I have nothing but positive things to say about the Westminster PD... they were very open with me and very professional... exactly what I would expect.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter

This is exactly the approach that I'm going to take. I just want her to move on so I can make my repairs and start fresh. :thumbsup:

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County
    +1....I would have no problem putting her butt on the street.....I'm sure there is much more to this story....I'm sure the officers serving the warrant didn't just stumble upon their man.....probably will turn out he was living there.........

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Not section 8. I did a background check on her and reference checks including with her employee and she was fine. She isn't the problem per se... but rather her poor choice in boyfriends as I have come to find out.

One of my other rentals has a Section 8 and she is the best tenant I have... her share of the rent is always on time and if there is ever a problem, the program helps resolve it. The annual inspections are the only hassle, but the place is in good shape, so I usually breeze through. Once I got cited because she didn't have a stopper for the bathtub... I said "you mean the $1.99 things they sell in the grocery store?" The inspector said, "yep". That was a pretty easy fix.

Lease had requirement for renter to keep renter's insurance. I'll look into adding this next time. Thanks.

I actually thought about making a dead dog joke in the original post, but thought better of it. :D I have nothing but positive things to say about the Westminster PD... they were very open with me and very professional... exactly what I would expect.

According to a quick google of renter's insurance and glance at GEICO's website, most renters insurance policies include some liability coverage. Of course, it's going to be policy specific, so the language matters. If hers covers it, including damage to property caused by her liability, you might have a claim. If it were me, I would pursue it with her insurance company and see whether I was already covered, expecting in advance the first word out of their mouth to be, "no."

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I can't imagine that your insurance company will get involved.
    You need to fix it and charge the tenant. It's her responsibility, her guest caused the door to come down.
    He can reimburse her, when he gets out of jail.

I'll be watching Judge Judy for this case to come up!
    :D

Yes. Also, tenants are typically required to have Renters Insurance Check the lease to see if its required

edited: damn I should read the whole thread before posting

Last edited:

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    It's the renter's responsibility to pay for the repair...you could probably submit a claim to the County adjuster, but even if your claim went through, it would be bound up in red tape for months, that's the way they operate... until you give up. I've seen this situation many times, in the end the property owner usually loses. Most just chalk it up as a part of doing business.

CXD Arms

Feb 27, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    I can't imagine that your insurance company will get involved.
    You need to fix it and charge the tenant. It's her responsibility, her guest caused the door to come down.
    He can reimburse her, when he gets out of jail.

I'll be watching Judge Judy for this case to come up!
    :D

Unfortunately the tenant is responsible for what happens (or who is inside the premises) but that also can come back on the owner (OP). I would definitely write up the victim impact statement, or, perhaps, have the tenant do this as well.

I had a drunk driver total my car while I was deployed and the city (San Diego, CA) wrote to me asking how I was impacted and what costs I experienced. Since my insurance covered everything I was GTG but I wouldn't expect the PD to be responsible unless they were negligent in carrying out their duties apprehending the suspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom