Police kicked in the door on my rental unit yesterday.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    I would say if your tenant is running a business (day care/baby sitting) from your rental unit she is responsible for all damages that occur as a result of that business. A license is also required to do day care , something you may want to investigate if that's what she's doing.
    IMHO regardless this is all connected to the activities of your tenant and should be paid by her.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If they police were within their legal right to force entry the chance of them paying is VERY small.

All your tenant thug guest had to do was open the door and the damage wouldn't have happened.

Your tenant should be on the hook for the damage that they or their invited guests caused.

I'd go shopping for a new tenant.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    My first question would be why didn't your tenant open the door? If she wasn't home what was someone with enough warrants to cause a police raid doing inside her daycare premises by himself if he is not on the lease?

I would be making her pay and be looking for a new tenant. I can't see any possible scenario where this is not her fault.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Illegal sublet maybe. or she let him move in like a Boyfriend thing.

You can't just let a boyfriend move into the rented home. All of my contracts clearly state that any adult 18 and over, must be signatory to the lease or the contract is voided immediately.

Case in point. A woman rents your house. Her boyfriend moves in without being added to the lease. They get into a fight, she moves out. Now you have a person living in your house who is not covered under any lease agreement.

This opens up a huge can of headache.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Sounds like he was living there in violation of the Lease (I had a similar clause). I've got at least three significant lease violations any one of which I would terminate for. Now starts the process. Unfortunately in MD, I have to give her 30 days notice to vacate before I can go to court and start eviction proceedings. I could cut it to 14 days if there is a significant threat to safety or property... I'd say this meets that threshold, but I'm not sure the court would agree since it was "non-violent".

I do have a security deposit from her, but I'm guessing it may not cover everything. Still also waiting to hear from my insurance agent... he was stumped and had to check back with the company. Sigh.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Sounds like he was living there in violation of the Lease (I had a similar clause). I've got at least three significant lease violations any one of which I would terminate for. Now starts the process. Unfortunately in MD, I have to give her 30 days notice to vacate before I can go to court and start eviction proceedings. I could cut it to 14 days if there is a significant threat to safety or property... I'd say this meets that threshold, but I'm not sure the court would agree since it was "non-violent".

I do have a security deposit from her, but I'm guessing it may not cover everything. Still also waiting to hear from my insurance agent... he was stumped and had to check back with the company. Sigh.

Anytime there is physical property damage to the home, I would petition for the 14 days. Get pictures of all of the violations if possible. If not, get a 3rd party to witness these violations. Get something from the police in respect to the issue that started this and above all else, make sure your contract is rock solid.

Since the damage to your house was done by a third party, it seems like your policy should cover the damage. I know the police did the damage, but wouldn't it be the same as if someone threw a rock through a window? Surely, your insurance would cover that.

Any third party damage should be covered.

Good Luck!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

I'm guessing that as soon as she is aware of the eviction process beginning you will get no further rent checks. Try and get her out ASAP and cut your losses.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    is this section 8?
    isn't there some screening involved with the tenants?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Screw that! Boot her ass! And, make her pay for the damage. Her choice, is her problem.

File suit on her before doing anything.

Terminate her trashy ass out on the street immediately after filing suit.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    is this section 8?
    isn't there some screening involved with the tenants?

It is almost impossible to evict a Section 8 tenant. You would have better luck talking Obama into CC on a federal level for everyone.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    It is almost impossible to evict a Section 8 tenant. You would have better luck talking Obama into CC on a federal level for everyone.

Easier than those not in Section 8. For all you landlords out there that have Section 8 tenants (my better tenants), if you have problems with them speak with the case worker.

The reason they are better is that there is a long list of people trying to get in the program and if someone screws up they are put at the end of the "multi year" waiting list. Also, they typically call me to say rent is late while those not in Section 8 (Housing Choice Vouchers) are called by me asking where is the rent?

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

Give her 24 hours notice that you are going to inspect the property. Then tape pictures from floor to ceiling including the floor and the ceilings and then serve her with eviction papers the next day. Then if she gets pissy about being evicted and damages anything you can take her to court for maliciously damaging your property.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Did OP require the tenant to have a tenant liability & property policy? Many leases require tenant to have one, naming LL as additional insured, though I don't know whether this case could/would fall under tenant's liability. Still, better to use her insurance than yours.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Did OP require the tenant to have a tenant liability & property policy? Many leases require tenant to have one, naming LL as additional insured, though I don't know whether this case could/would fall under tenant's liability. Still, better to use her insurance than yours.

I require the tenant to retain renter's insurance, but from my knowledge, it covers their content. It does not cover any part of the house. That's up to the landlord to provide homeowner's or other type of insurance for the structure.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I require the tenant to retain renter's insurance, but from my knowledge, it covers their content. It does not cover any part of the house. That's up to the landlord to provide homeowner's or other type of insurance for the structure.

Yes, but in addition to tenant personal property, iirc tenant policies are available (and often required) to have liability coverage, too.

Suppose the tenant negligently drops a bath towel on the top of the third floor stairs, where the tenant's guest trips and falls down the stairs, also breaking the stairway banister, falls out the second floor landing window, and lands on the original Michelangelo statue in the garden fountain below, breaking off its head and arm?

Does the homeowners insurance pay for the banister, window, and Michelangelo, or does the tenant's liability policy pay because the tenant dropped the towel that started it all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom