• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Medic49

Jul 11, 2010
    The worst part of the application process is gathering necessary paperwork and dates of prior employment etc.

-Z

Quick question on this... I've been interested in LE for years but have done a lot of job-hopping up until about 3 years ago. I assume they want every single employer you've had, and the dates you worked for them? References would be good, but a load of info to track down and prolly looks bad.

I've always figured if they go back 10 years or so I'd wait two or three years before I apply (less work history to document) but I'm kind of getting the impression they go back forever?

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    For me they went back about 15 years for employment. As far as places you lived they went back to age 18, which for me was quite awhile back. :P Trying to find all my past addresses was the biggest headache.

Keep in mind that before you get into filling out your background packet, chances are you have already had your panel interview. If they like you, and you present yourself well it is less likely they will be as concerned about employment from years back. This presumes that your present work history is good and you can come up with at least a couple good employer references.

Many agencies are really in need of good people. Go ahead and apply! Good luck!

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Quick question on this... I've been interested in LE for years but have done a lot of job-hopping up until about 3 years ago. I assume they want every single employer you've had, and the dates you worked for them? References would be good, but a load of info to track down and prolly looks bad.

I've always figured if they go back 10 years or so I'd wait two or three years before I apply (less work history to document) but I'm kind of getting the impression they go back forever?

differs from department to department. I am 22 so I have used all of my previous work history. On your application I would list as many slots as are available in your packet. If you move on to the next stage in the process I would advise your background investigator of your employment history in full. Leave it up to him, if he wants to look at all of them he will. Just don't be dishonest. That is the biggie.

-Z

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Plan to list every job you've ever had, every address you've ever had and just about every person you've ever lived with. Some Dept's will need a little less but I'd start pulling that info together before you test. If you have a pretty extensive background you may not have time to do it in the month or so they give you for the background book.

twtyrant

Jan 7, 2009
    Luke AFB
    Harford County does background before Oral Review.

I believe if you run out of space in the book, you have to include your own papers with the previous employment (if that makes sense).

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    Plan to list every job you've ever had, every address you've ever had and just about every person you've ever lived with. Some Dept's will need a little less but I'd start pulling that info together before you test. If you have a pretty extensive background you may not have time to do it in the month or so they give you for the background book.

Jim shoot me a PM, have a question for you

twtyrant

Jan 7, 2009
    Luke AFB
    Do you mean they have you fill out the background packet and turn it in before the oral interview?

I can't imagine any agency would go through the time and expense of conducting a full background investigation before they have even had a chance to sit down and talk to you.

They have you fill out the blue book and turn it in. Then they set up an appointment to meet with you and go over the blue book. If you pass that investigation, they then send you an appointment date to meet with the Oral Interview Board.

So, they do go through a full background investigation before the Oral Interview Board.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Ok, so they are going over your job and personal history with you before your panel interview. That makes sense.
    What I was referring to was the actual field investigation into your background where an investigator will talk to your neighbors, employers, family, etc. Usually that is the final step in the hiring process because it is expensive and time consuming.

twtyrant

Jan 7, 2009
    Luke AFB
    Ok, so they are going over your job and personal history with you before your panel interview. That makes sense.
    What I was referring to was the actual field investigation into your background where an investigator will talk to your neighbors, employers, family, etc. Usually that is the final step in the hiring process because it is expensive and time consuming.

From what I was told, after the OIB there is a polygraph, psych evaluation, and physical examination. I do know that both my previous employers received questionnaires to fill out about me.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

no necessarily so....the BI get most of the field interviews done to make sure you'll even qualify for the OB. If they find that you've got a bad history it could be a disqualifier

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    no necessarily so....the BI get most of the field interviews done to make sure you'll even qualify for the OB. If they find that you've got a bad history it could be a disqualifier

Interesting. That is totally different from the hiring process I went through. Our process was more geared towards evaluating you in person with two oral interviews, followed by a poly and then medical exam. Only after you had cleared all those hurdles did the background investigation begin. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point early on in the process they do an NCIC check on applicants in case any felons are stupid enough to apply. :D For the most part though the backgound was the last step.

Anyhow good luck to you twtyrant.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    That's a little surprising trbon8r, we did our background stuff first, had the background interview and the detectives investigated us while we completed the other steps. I had my conditional offer before I'd ever had my health physical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom