Please do not forget to take your boats out this weekend!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Just for curiosity what is the rule now for reporting my firearms that I lost on my boating accident yesterday?

What would happen if MSP asked where they were? Clearly at the bottom of the potomac......stupid kids flipped the boat....

What would happen if I somehow found one of them during a scuba dive after I told MSP (who asked) and MSP saw me with the water logged rifle?

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    The whole law is a non-starter.

One may not know a firearm is missing until they have cause to go look for it. At the time of discovery of a missing firearm, they have 72 hours to report it missing.

Neighbor: :"can I borrow your weed whacker?"

Owner: "sure, It's been a while since I had it out but the last time I saw it, it was in the shed. I'll go get it." (looks in the shed)... "well, I'll be....It was here, I have just discovered it missing".

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    The whole law is a non-starter.

One may not know a firearm is missing until they have cause to go look for it. At the time of discovery of a missing firearm, they have 72 hours to report it missing.

Neighbor: :"can I borrow your weed whacker?"

Owner: "sure, It's been a while since I had it out but the last time I saw it, it was in the shed. I'll go get it." (looks in the shed)... "well, I'll be....It was here, I have just discovered it missing".

That is if I found it missing after Oct 1 but my firearms are missing right now??

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    That is if I found it missing after Oct 1 but my firearms are missing right now??

Assuming you bought them in the state within the last 30 years, they know you have them.

I see no difference between if officially asked, claiming they sank at some time in the past or discovering them missing at the time of inquiry and reporting them missing within 72 hours.

If one was looking at a upcoming date where they had to register them for the first time....well.....anchors aweigh!!

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    One other thing...

If you go boating this weekend, you can lose up to 20 at a time. As of 10/1 you can only carry 10.

Correction: you can still lose as many as you want, if you buy your rustbucket out of state.

Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    Well, I decided to take the kayak out yesterday. I couldn't find the paddle, so I figured the stock on my AR15 would work well. I got out to the channel and I started getting a little tired, so I laid the rifle across the cockpit when suddenly a wave came and dunked it over the side. :sad20:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    That'll only work if we catch something we can ride to shore.

I tried that late last night with hopes of catching a seahorse and hollering "Hi Ho Silver" all the way back to shore but it didn't work. Not only did I loose my guns and boat, my fishing tackle is gone too.:sad20:

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I tried that late last night with hopes of catching a seahorse and hollering "Hi Ho Silver" all the way back to shore but it didn't work. Not only did I loose my guns and boat, my fishing tackle is gone too.:sad20:

You mean you can't twirl your hair fast enough to get it to act like a propeller?

I've been lied to......

johnb007

Jul 6, 2011
    True story. I was transporting my firearms in my canoe across the river to VA, when a strong current carried me downstream and though the bay, out into international waters of the Atlantic. Canoe then capsized. All my firearms are gone...and the rowing back was tough. I just got home. What a bad day.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I took my entire collection for a private display in the Great Dismal Swamp but I got lost. I then set my firearms down while I tried to see where I was and when I came back to what I thought was the place I left them they were gone. Either the ground swallowed them up (it happens in swamps sometimes), or I was still lost, or somebody stole them. I consider them lost, strayed, or stolen but will continue to look for them diligently and let you know if I find them again.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    This is a funny thread!

Does anyone know how to report a lost/missing firearm? Are you required to sign an affidavit? Is there a form or report that has threatening language about perjury, etc.?

This is all I could find in the proposed new law:

.04 Lost or Stolen Firearms.
    A. If a regulated firearm is lost or stolen, the owner of the firearm shall report the loss or theft to the local law enforcement agency within 72 hours after the owner first discovers the loss or theft.
    B. On receipt of a report of a lost or stolen regulated firearm, a local law enforcement agency shall report to the Secretary and enter into the National Crime Information Center database, as prescribed by the Secretary and to the extent known, the caliber, make, model, manufacturer, and serial number of the firearm and any other distinguishing number or identification mark on the regulated firearm.
    C. A dealer or any other person who sells or transfers a regulated firearm shall notify the purchaser or recipient of that regulated firearm at the time of the purchase or transfer that the purchaser or recipient is required to report a lost or stolen regulated firearm to the local law enforcement agency within 72 hours after discovery of the loss or theft.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I was recently performing some underwater ballistics research on a private lake (with permission) and had the misfortune of capsizing my kayak - with all of my guns no doubt sinking to the bottom of this very, very deep lake.

Except for my shotgun. And my LCR.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    What shall we do with the gun-drunken sailor? Toss his guns to the bottom yeah, toss his guns to the botton yeah!

Folks- don't forget that the MD part of the Bay has about 20 times more boating accidents than the VA part. This is called the MD Vortex Effect and is a phenomenon only seen since 1972. The first report of it occurring was right after open carry without a lisc was banned, and occured on 10/2 when a certain baby was born in a hospital in Takoma Park. Some poor guy had his machinegun collection on board his sailboat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom