• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'll bet the AG does the same thing to Utah shortly too, and for the same reasons.

So the next question then becomes: Does anyone know any friendly local jurisdictions where the Sheriff is inclined to grant non-resident PA licenses to MD residents?

Won't be necessary. UT requires you to have a home state license if they are issued by your home state before issuing a NR permit. That's why the PA folks go for FL not UT.

I would watch VA carefully though.

Last edited:

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    It would have been much simpler to require PA residents to have a PA permit.

They have to over complicate everything.

Yup, that's what Louisiana did a little while back. They did it for revenue reasons, only affected LA residents.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Yup, that's what Louisiana did a little while back. They did it for revenue reasons, only affected LA residents.

Wouldn't you think any state that offers non-resident gets much more revenue selling permits to people who live out of state then they would by forcing the people that live in state?

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I've read it several times and to me it seems like it reeally only affects PA residents who are using Fl as a work around. I can't see specifically where it impact us from MD with a FL non res permit. Guess it's still a good idea to pick up Utah too.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    One has to ask why would a PA residents that can get a PA permit for $20 instead go for a Fla permit that cost $100?

Now we are always say we are all for keeping guns out of the hands of criminals. But doesn't PA & Fla do the same background check on the applicant where whatever reason that is keeping a PA residents from getting a PA permit, wouldn't that also keep them from getting the Fla permit, or for that matter any permit from any other state?

I can see how this is bad for any MD resident that depends on their Fla permit to carry in PA.

I bet there is more to this political between PA and Fla. PA could have just as easily made this law change to include all of the other state permits that PA honors. Why just Fla?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I've read it several times and to me it seems like it reeally only affects PA residents who are using Fl as a work around. I can't see specifically where it impact us from MD with a FL non res permit. Guess it's still a good idea to pick up Utah too.

It's always a good idea to have many permits that overlap. That way when changes like this happens that you may have missed the memo, your still protected by your other permit. When you only have one permit that is good in a given state that you like to carry, you have to be very sure you don't miss any of these changes.

Overlapping permits give you a little more security.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    One has to ask why would a PA residents that can get a PA permit for $20 instead go for a Fla permit that cost $100?

Maybe for some reason they have a dis qualifier in PA. I mean the county sheriff issues the permits. Not all police calls end in a police-able situation.
    It makes local issue by a sheriff that much better than state issue like we have in this back ass ward state.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    U

Now we are always say we are all for keeping guns out of the hands of criminals. But doesn't PA & Fla do the same background check on the applicant where whatever reason that is keeping a PA residents from getting a PA permit, wouldn't that also keep them from getting the Fla permit, or for that matter any permit from any other state?

I can see how this is bad for any MD resident that depends on their Fla permit to carry in PA.

I bet there is more to this political between PA and Fla. PA could have just as easily made this law change to include all of the other state permits that PA honors. Why just Fla?

Philly PD was revoking or refusing to issue permits under their discretionary "character" wiggle room. People with parking tickets or "who associated with unsavory individuals" were SOL (even licensed security guards who had passed more stringent backgrounchecks). The local Philly media ran some stories on the issue. One lawyer up there spends 100% of his practice on CCW revocations and denials.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

I think you are mistaken. The agreement has been modified to provide that PA only recognizes FL permits issued to FL residents. If you are a MD resident holding a FL non resident permit, you are no longer covered! New agreement attached. Signed 2/1/13

Attachments

• Pennslyvania.firearms_agreement_florida_pa.pdf
      210 KB · Views: 102

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I think you are mistaken. The agreement has been modified to provide that PA only recognizes FL permits issued to FL residents. If you are a MD resident holding a FL non resident permit, you are no longer covered! New agreement attached. Signed 2/1/13

Thanks Esq. Your the only one who understands this stuff. :o :D

MH

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Yep. Noticed that after I got over being pissed about it. I have a brother in PA and another in Va so I like to exercise my 2a freedom when I visit. Guess I'll need to add VA and Utah to my list. Sorry to add to the confusion.

RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    posted by swinokur: Won't be necessary. UT requires you to have a home state license if they are issued by your home state before issuing a NR permit. That's why the PA folks go for FL not UT.

Not True, From the Utah Department Public Safety website:

Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply. , bolded by me, this means if your state (mine being maryland) does not recognize the Utah permit then this does not apply and Utah will issue you a non resident permit.

I have a Utah NR CFP.

Last edited:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Just got off the phone with the AG office, this is what I was told:

The agreement dated feb 1st closed the "FL loophole", only FL residents had reciprocity with a FL permit, slipped it under the radar.

People were upset that they have unknowingly been criminals for a week, so it was changed, the new letter dated today. PA residents will no longer be able to carry in PA on a FL permit after 120 days from today. They said this should only affect PA residents, not FL or 3rd party states, I told them that is not what the old notice said, and the new notice says nothing about 3rd party stte residents. Pretty much went downhill from there, and I probably made it on a new list. She was elected without much effort, she ran her campaign in Philly, and kept quiet in the rest of the state, she really needs to go.

for those inclined to contact the office, light her up, I know lots of MDers family included that carry on FL permits in PA
    http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/contactus/
    717-787-3391
    Thanks for posting this Jeremey. :thumbsup:

Email sent.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    posted by swinokur: Won't be necessary. UT requires you to have a home state license if they are issued by your home state before issuing a NR permit. That's why the PA folks go for FL not UT.

Not True, From the Utah Department Public Safety website:

I said exactly what you said. Since I cannot get a MD permit, and MD recognizes no other state,a UT permit will be valid in PA. and PA residents won't be issued a UT NR permit without a PA permit first. The reason I said watch VA is they have no such restriction so there is nothing in the agreement yet that would stop a PA resident from carrying on a VA NR permit. That's the way I read it.

Esq can correct me if it's wrong.

I have UT,VA, FL and NV permits.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I just got the email reply from the PA AG's office. They confirmed that we're not allowed to use non-resident FL licenses in PA anymore.

Date: Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    Subject: RE: Criminal Law Topics : Firearms
    To: "vette97"

Pennsylvania will only recognize Florida residents who have a CCP and Florida will recognize Pennsylvania residents who have a CCP. This is the agreement between Pennsylvania and Florida.

John Tokarczyk, Legislative Liaison
    Office of Attorney General
    16th Floor, Strawberry Square
    Harrisburg, PA 17120
    717-783-1438

Wilda

Jan 21, 2013
    Westminster
    Wow. So instead of just targeting the people in PA who were skating by with a FL NR, they're now also leaving us poor saps in MD high and dry. I hope this is the end of the line for PA pushing out legislation like that, but I hope the same thing about MD all the time and it doesn't seem to be stopping...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom